Gibson Brands Forums

My 1959RR update, then cab discussion

FreedomStain

For the sake of discussion, if you want to skip the update and go straight to the cab discussion, skip the following two paragraphs.

As a few of you know I've been trying to get my hands on the Marshall 1959 RR head for a while now. It became desperate and I had to follow up on two different companies so they could only tell me that they had to cancel my order because they can't get anymore. Then I got a connection to an online store and ended up on a list that consisted of 3 people. The other 2 were actually getting an amp for sure and they added me on standby if their credit doesn't check out.

Then I was on plan b because I figured I wasn't gonna get one. So I look into Orange amps, based on my experience with my Micro Crush that I bought Monday. From online demos I got completely blown away by the Thunderverb and went into my favorite guitar shop to buy the head Thursday morning. I got the 50w head, a Tiny Terror (for my friend's birthday) and the custom made pickguards for my strat came in. I got a great deal on the amps, but my girlfriend still sighed at the price, I said "It's still a lot cheaper than the 1959RR". The cashier laughed and agreed. Then I asked the cashier, "How come you guys never got 'em?" And someone behind him said "Well, not yet. We have a few coming in soon." I just went quiet for a second but it felt like a minute. I thought, return the Thunderverb and preorder the 1959. For a split second after I thought, that head would have been way too loud and dirty for me. That was Randy's amp, and as much as I worship the guy, it isn't MY amp. To my girlfriend's surprise I said, "Oh well. At least I got the amp I want."

So story aside, I have this head and I'm thinking of getting the Orange cab with the stock Celestion Vintage 30's in it. What kind of cabs do you guys reccomend/like?

I avoid these threads like the plague.

Sonofa*****, the prices get CRAZY on good tube amps!

I have a Marshall JCM 800 half stack from 1981 (vertical inputs) and a couple Fender Hot Rods.

I've looked at the "boutique" amps over the years, and just closed my eyes and walked away.

Too much $$$$ involved, I get heartburn....

I was looking at Matchless 15 years ago.

I LOVE the Orange stuff.

I choose to keep blinders on and keep pouring money into guitars instead!

I would LOVE to have some old Marshall stuff, primarily the 2205 2-channel 50 watter - and an OLD 45 head.

An old Bassman, a Twin Reverb, Champ....

When a small combo amp costs $100 per watt, I can't stay.

Earlier this week, while I was at my guitar teachers studio, UPS rang the door bell and delivered two large boxes and a medium size box from Orange. I saw how his concentration was drifting to the boxes sitting in the corner, so I said why don't we suspend the class for the day and crack into those suckers. His next student had already canceled his session, so we spent the next 20 minutes setting them up. After we had them out of the cartons and set up, we stood back and marveled at this tower of orange. A double stack of 412's with a 100 watt head. Chris, my teacher, plugged in and with the first strum he knew he had a monster on his hands. After about ten minutes, I got my turn. Personally, I can't think of any reason why I would ever get a set up like that for myself (12 x 12 office/studio, and I don't play out), but I keep trying to justify it in my mind, no luck so far. But if I ever do figure out a way to get a full up rig, that would be the one. All I can say is HOLY SH*T!!!

IMO the VIntage 30s are great but they are very midrange focused and lack some high and low end definition. However, if you mix them with G12H30s in the same cab - whoa nelly! Good stuff. I use 2-12s with one of each and am quite pleased with the combination. I get mine from Avatar, but many cabinet makers will be happy to mix speakers for you on a custom order. Good luck on your search.

IMO the VIntage 30s are great but they are very midrange focused and lack some high and low end definition.....

+1

to my ears, the stock gt75 speakers in marshall have a darker, bassier feel, not muddy, but deeper,

i dont really care for the vintage 30s

Thanks everyone, sorry I'm responding so late.

I've been reading up on the vintage 30's and I'm only digging the reviews based on the clarity of the speakers. I'm not too thrilled about the midrange thing. I would much prefer it to be clear on the high end, but not screechy of course. I was looking at old Altec 417-8H speakers but I didnt wan't to pay more than 300 for 'em. Naturally, I lost every ebay auction.

I like the tech specs on the orange cabs though, it seems very thought out. When I was talking to my girlfriend about it, she told me that Opera singers acoustically anchor themselves to the stage like the amps to get more low end and volume. Never heard of Marshall doing that!

Thanks for the pics deep blue!

No celestion cab... if you like the vintage 30s go with a cab loaded with Eminence The Gobernor speakers, sound way better than the vintage 30s (they are supposed to be designed after the V30s... but are made in england instead of being made in china from cheap stuff like the celestions).

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong, some people over here like them better (and they cost less thn half).

Archived