Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Tube Amps

Tman5293

I've been looking into getting a fender tube amp/combo amp since I've heard such great things about them. I hear that they have some really great tone. However I have no experience with Fender tubes amps, and therefore have no idea which one to pick. msp_confused.gif

Suggestions please? msp_unsure.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues Junior will handle a lot. Personally, if you want clean, go with the Deluxe Reverb. If you want some grit, go Blues Junior

Should have told you guys what I was going to use it for. I'm looking for one that can handle everything from clean tones to blues to classic rock distortion that sounds kinda AC/DCish. I'm currently doing this with a Line 6 Spider III 75W 1X12.

Should have told you guys what I was going to use it for. I'm looking for one that handle everything from clean tones to blues to classic rock distortion that sounds kinda AC/DCish. I'm currently doing this with a Line 6 Spider III 75W 1X12.

Deluxe Reverb, and throw some pedals in front. Done. Blues Junior will do it too, but the Deluxe Reverb has better cleans IMO. If you have some cash, look into Chicago Amp and Guitar. They make killer stuff, and have a Deluxe Reverb clone but waaaaaaay better

A Fender will do what you want just fine but you should just try them out and see what you like. It sounds like you should get a Marshall. Have you checked out the Class 5? It will totally nail that classic crunch tone.

For the price of a Deluxe Reverb, get the Class 5 and a Blues Junior. You can handle everything then [thumbup]

If you want gain, one of the best-sounding recent Fender amps that I've heard (and comparably affordable) is the Super-Sonic. It has a clean channel with two voicings (they are labeled as "Vibrolux" and "Bassman," and while they don't sound like a Vibrolux and a Bassman, they sound close enough) and a dirty channel which can get some pretty great tones. It's the closest thing Fender has done to a high-gain amp, and it's fairly versatile and at a good price. That would be my recommendation, but only because I like them and I think you could find one at an affordable price. The current models really are pretty good.

Although it sounds more like you're in the market for a Marshall, like what Dub-T mentioned. The Class 5 is very good.

one that can handle everything from clean tones to blues to classic rock distortion that sounds kinda AC/DCish.

Sounds like you're playing at my house...

I recommend the Hot Rod DeVille.

Buying again, I would get a 4x10 over my 2x12.

60 watts, LOUD if you want, and unbeatable for the money.

And for the money, you might find some legendary vintage Fenders that might need a bit of TLC.

5W ain't gonna do it for me guys! mellow.gif I need something that can compete with a drum set. It's the reason why I have a 75W Line 6. Got any other ideas? Maybe other Marshalls or something? huh.gif

Dude, a good 5 watt tube amp can be louder than a 75 watt solid state, look it up [biggrin]

5W ain't gonna do it for me guys! mellow.gif I need something that can compete with a drum set. It's the reason why I have a 75W Line 6. Got any other ideas? Maybe other Marshalls or something? huh.gif

Then at 85 watts (real loud) you can't beat a Twin Reverb. B)

Yep.

You oughta hear my Quad Reverb!

85 watts, or 100 depending on how Fender rated them.

LOUD!

But sweet...

I need something that can compete with a drum set.

60 watt Hot Rod DeVille.

I don't care HOW hard your drummer hits.

And I know lotsa folks (including stadium shows) who simply stick a mic in front of a 15 watt amp.

Dude, a good 5 watt tube amp can be louder than a 75 watt solid state, look it up [biggrin]

So I did look it up and I learned some interesting stuff. Like what you stated here, tubes are louder than solids but also, everything I read about 5W tubes says that they cannot compete in a full band setting!

Oh Noes!!!!! msp_scared.gif

tubes are louder than solids ...

everything I read about 5W tubes says that they cannot compete in a full band setting!

What part of Texas are you in?

You can't be far from some good live blues/rock or country.

Go see as many bands as you can in ice houses, road houses and bars.

See what they're using in your neck of the woods, and ask them why.

Also, ask them what amp they WISH they could use.

You'll learn a lot.

Trust me on this one.

- A displaced Texan in Arizona

Yep.

You oughta hear my Quad Reverb!

85 watts, or 100 depending on how Fender rated them.

LOUD!

But sweet...

60 watt Hot Rod DeVille.

I don't care HOW hard your drummer hits.

And I know lotsa folks (including stadium shows) who simply stick a mic in front of a 15 watt amp.

So which Hot Rod DeVille are speaking of? I found 4:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212-III-60W-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H12887-i1552534.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410-III-60W-4x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-H12885-i1552519.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-212-100285408-i1145366.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Hot-Rod-DeVille-410-100259531-i1145365.gc

What part of Texas are you in?

You can't be far from some good live blues/rock or country.

Go see as many bands as you can in ice houses, road houses and bars.

See what they're using in your neck of the woods, and ask them why.

Also, ask them what amp they WISH they could use.

You'll learn a lot.

Trust me on this one.

- A displaced Texan in Arizona

I'm about 30 miles east of Dallas.

I've used a Twin for a lotta years but I gotta agree, it's a whole lotta horsepower, plus the older I get the heavier this beast gets. But that said, it's served me well and comes with wheels! But you won't be able to stretch it out in the house, that's for sure. B)

1. DO NOT buy it from Guitar Center.

2. You can beat that price at any Mom & Pop Fender dealer.

3. Old people like me, and folks using work computers don't like chasing links out of the forum.

Save the money, and go with the "old" model, since the III series is more expensive.

The easier reading black control panel with front reading text, new badge, streamlined footswitch, and graduated volume/treble pot tapers are all things you can live without.

I found none of these to be an issue on any DeVilles I've used.

I have a slight preference for the 4x10 at low/clean settings - sounds warm, lush, chorusy.

Crank them, and I can't really tell the difference.

Neo recommended the 4x10 model.

I can assure you that the 4x10 model is absolutely ridiculously loud. You will probably never ever ever turn it up all the way for any reason. It will physically hurt you.

I used a 1x12 in my band and it was always loud enough to cut through easily. I could play squeaky clean over drums and bass. Any of the Hot Rods will be loud enough. It's more a matter of tone.

Just keep in mind if you get the 4x10 or even the 2x12 that you will be carrying it around. It may not seem like a big deal but it really sucks when you have to do it all the time.

Indeed.

At home, I run the Master and Drive both at 3-4.

LOUD.

Any higher, and it doesn't really get louder - just sizzles more.

I prefer the cleanish overdrive.

Perfect for any classic rock - does AC/DC very well.

When I play gigs, the volume is closer to 2.

Funny, playing a gig at levels I use at home has everybody yelling to turn it down.

Old enough to drink?

If not, you can still go in most bars with an adult if you get there well before the first set.

Talk to the band, watch the first set, and leave before the manager gets nervous.

Indeed.

At home, I run the Master and Drive both at 3-4.

LOUD.

Any higher, and it doesn't really get louder - just sizzles more.

I prefer the cleanish overdrive.

Perfect for any classic rock - does AC/DC very well.

When I play gigs, the volume is closer to 2.

Funny, playing a gig at levels I use at home has everybody yelling to turn it down.

Old enough to drink?

If not, you can still go in most bars with an adult if you get there well before the first set.

Talk to the band, watch the first set, and leave before the manager gets nervous.

Unfortunately I am not yet of drinking age. sad.gif I'm only 16. Next time at at guitar center I'll have to try out those DeVilles and then I'll try and find a Mom & Pop store that carries the one I like. There's only one that I know of that would carry them and that's about an 1-1/2 drive from where I live.

Archived