Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Tube Amps

Tman5293

I don't want this to sound too politically incorrect, but do you know anybody who goes to watch bar bands?

I mean, if nobody in your immediate family ever goes to a bar, you're gonna be stuck.

But seriously, if you can get somebody (even a parent) to go, then by all means check 'em out.

You will learn so much even from a sh!tty band, and Texas is like Blues U if you wanna learn.

Find out when they start playing, and stop in a couple hours before.

Age is usually no problem, and there's likely no cover charge to enter.

Order a burger, spend at least a few bucks in the place - the manager should be cool.

Watch the band guys set up and wait for a chance to just say "howdy" and tell them you're a player.

Don't wear out your welcome, duck out before the big bar crowd starts filling in.

Watch the first set if the manager will allow you to stay.

I won't bore you with a list of Dallas-area guitar greats, but think of SRV and Steve Miller.

Play the hell out of the Guitar Center floor stock (assuming it works) and learn all you can.

If you do buy there, DO NOT use their credit program and DO NOT buy any sort of warranty.

Buy a NEW amp in the box and get a good quality cord.

Seriously, a Mom & Pop shop will treat you much better and probably beat the GC price.

Look at the 40 watt Hot Rod Deluxe with a single 12 or the 15 watt Blues Junior.

But I'm telling you, a Hot Rod DeVille will be a keeper - no matter what you buy in the future.

(This still falls under the domain of "internet advice" so you can do what you want...)

[thumbup]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you might find some legendary vintage Fenders that might need a bit of TLC.

Or not so legendary, even some of those are worth a look.

I had to do some minor repair work, two resistors and tubes.

now I have a 135w monster.msp_drool.gif

Go for the Fender Deluxe. If you want reverb, get the Deluxe Reverb.

I like my two Fender amps.

I have two relatively rare amps: The Two-Tone (Really a supped-up Blues Jr. in a larger box with a 10x12 speaker set-up), and a '57 Deluxe limited to just 300 It also came with a solid maple cabinet and a Celestion Blue speaker.

Both of them are kick-***-amplifiers and I'll never part with them.

The Two-tone has reverb and a fat switch and is rated at 15 watts. The Deluxe is 6V6 tone and rated at 12 watts.

Here's a couple pics.

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

I have a Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a Line 6 Spider IV 150 half stack amp. The Fender is hands down the better sounding amp and is as loud as my Line 6. Both amps are for home use and have more than enough volume/power for my needs. The Fender is the best clean sounding amp I have ever owned and it's tube spring reverb is fantastic. As stated previously if you need more power than 22 watt DRRI tube amp then either mic the amp or buy the 85 watt Twin Reverb. I am not a fan of the Fender Hot Rod line they have a noticeable hum that is annoying to me. I just tried out a new one yesterday and it even had a distinct constant hum. I have read that they are also problematic, but I have no personal knowledge that they do. Check out the Fender Forum for more info on Fender amps.

Fender Hot Rod line ...

I have read that they are also problematic, but I have no personal knowledge that they do.

Hot Rods are not the Holy Grail, and not perfect.

They are not a cork-sniffing boutique amp, but for the money you can't match them.

My 2x12 is ten years old, no hum. Smoked a preamp tube when it was a year old, no trouble since.

The only durability issues I've heard of was from rough treatment when moving them.

Printed circuit boards don't like being kicked around from gig to gig.

Riding inside a hot/cold trailer and being bounced like a rodeo clown is tough on ANY amp.

A friend of mine has gigged with his 2x12 for ten years - replaced tubes one time out of caution.

Are there better amps on the market?

Sure, but not for $800 out the door.

Are there cheaper amps?

Yep, but what are you getting?

DeVilles are a huge seller for a reason.

Should have told you guys what I was going to use it for. I'm looking for one that can handle everything from clean tones to blues to classic rock distortion that sounds kinda AC/DCish. I'm currently doing this with a Line 6 Spider III 75W 1X12.

If your budget runs to it, I'd at least try out an early silverface Vibrolux - 35W, 2 x 10, all tube including the rectifier. These have quite quick attack and the 10s give it that punch that the DR lacks. It also uses 2 x 6L6GC which are a bit more robust than the 6V6s in the DR.

RN

I looked up those DeVilles and I really like how they sound! msp_thumbup.gif I'd love to buy one but I just don't have $800 to drop on an amp or anything else right now. msp_crying.gif But as soon as I got the cash I'm seriously considering buying the 212 DeVille. Great sounding amp! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

As a good alternative to Fender Amps, how about trying out a Blackstar. I have an HT Club 40 all tube amp. It's a versatile amp that can produce good clean tones with 2 modes, a Boutique clean and a Fender type clean, also 2 modes on the OD channel from crunch through to high gain. As Blackstar say "The sound in your head".It works well with both Strats/Teles and Les Pauls

I find Fender amps don't do higher gain particularly well.

Check them out, there are plenty of examples on Youtube.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Cheers

I second the notion of buying a used amp if you shop a little.

I find Fender amps don't do higher gain particularly well.

The DeVilles have three channels - Clean, Drive and More Drive.

If it's not the tone you really like, I understand.

But there's gain aplenty to be had there - I never use the More Drive channel, it's thin/shrill/sizzling as hell.

I'm not a pedal guy really (though I LOVE my Fulltone OCD) but every Fender I've ever used responded well to overdrive pedals.

Never played the Blackstar myself.

Well...

For what it's worth, I think the most versatile overall Fender amp is the Deluxe Reverb. That's not just for sound, either.

I had plenty of noise back in my rock olden days, but mind you, that's before everbody got huge PA systems and each amp played by itself and so did the drummer - and then we had a tube PA just for vocals.

The DR works for an acoustic solo, too, as its own PA. That's why it has lotza plugs.

Blues? Fine, fine, fine.

best of all, you can actually carry the thing.

My biggest error was swapping mine for one twice the size and six times the power. It weighs 90 pounds and I've never had a need for that much power. Period. I think it's needed even less for a rock gig nowadays since nearly everybody mikes their amps.

m

Go for the Fender Deluxe. If you want reverb, get the Deluxe Reverb.

I like my two Fender amps.

I have two relatively rare amps: The Two-Tone (Really a supped-up Blues Jr. in a larger box with a 10x12 speaker set-up), and a '57 Deluxe limited to just 300 It also came with a solid maple cabinet and a Celestion Blue speaker.

Both of them are kick-***-amplifiers and I'll never part with them.

The Two-tone has reverb and a fat switch and is rated at 15 watts. The Deluxe is 6V6 tone and rated at 12 watts.

Here's a couple pics.

Snapshot2010-06-2520-33-33.jpg

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

+1.The Fender Deluxe 5E3 is the best amp ever IMO.

I went to Guitar Center today guys! I played an ES-339 Custom Shop through the Hot Rod DeVille 212. I am very pleased! That amp sounded amazing! msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

I sat there and messed around with it for about a half an hour. I loved all the tones I could get out of it. I also found the "More Drive" button quite useful. I'll be buying that amp as soon as I've got the cash.

Thanks for suggesting it Neo! msp_biggrin.gif

Yer welcome.

Check out the Deluxe like the other guys mentioned too.

Less money, not as much power, but a damned fine amp.

The biggest factor for me?

I wanted the full 60 watts, and I wanted gig volume capability.

Also, I like more speakers, sounds fuller at low volumes.

If you decide on the HRD, play thru a 4x10 before you jump on the 2x12.

If you can't tell a difference, then stick with the 2x12.

I have a variety to choose from, so I'm lucky in that regard.

An old 100 watt Quad Reverb 4x12

60 watt Hot Rod DeVille 2x12

15 watt Blues Junior 1x12

The Deluxe would be a good compromise if I needed one amp and one amp only.

Just not enough speakers or power for me personally - I like to play LOUD.

Ask my wife - or my neighbors up the road.

B)

I wanted to get a HRD, but I have absolutely no use for 60W, heck I can barely turn up my SCXD to 3+ and thats 15W....I can play the Champion 600 on full though.....[lol]

I need to look at amps 20W and less....

How do you find the Blues Junior Neo? Do you still think its worth its price? Or should I look into other low watter tubes?

I don't like Vox too much, I was thinking of getting a Class 5....but haven't decided...

BTW Tman, there is a HRD 212 used for sale on Wildwood.....check it out....$625

I wanted to get a HRD, but I have absolutely no use for 60W, heck I can barely turn up my SCXD to 3+ and thats 15W....I can play the Champion 600 on full though.....[lol]

I need to look at amps 20W and less....

How do you find the Blues Junior Neo? Do you still think its worth its price? Or should I look into other low watter tubes?

I don't like Vox too much, I was thinking of getting a Class 5....but haven't decided...

BTW Tman, there is a HRD 212 used for sale on Wildwood.....check it out....$625

If I may interject, I like the Blues Jr NOS Tweed, the speaker upgrade is really worth it. I am a huge fan of the AC4TV, you should check em out and I don't really like Vox amps

Neo et al...

I dunno. I used to run that DR up to the point where, when it was right facing me at head level, it hurt as much as a full bore .357 without ear plugs - and it just kept going.

I'll never forget one spring gig where it was warm out and I was reeeeeally sweaty still from a four-hour rock gig and 2-hour trip. So there I was in the dorm shower and I couldn't hear the water running.

So... I dunno.

m

If I may interject, I like the Blues Jr NOS Tweed, the speaker upgrade is really worth it. I am a huge fan of the AC4TV, you should check em out and I don't really like Vox amps

AC4 hmmm I'll google the specs.

Hmm...I dunno....I wanted to setup with a pure marshall tone and a pure fender tone and then explore other amps.......Marshall doesn't make enough small watters......make a 10/15 W Class 5 type amp, add on board reverb and that would be a no brainer....

See the most difficult part is choosing an amp without playing it over the internet.....Its hard to judge on youtube....and shipping's a b!tch

How do you find the Blues Junior Neo?

Do you still think its worth its price?

Blues Junior sounds a lot like its big brother with one exception - no balls down low.

For rhythm stuff, playing power chords (think AC/DC or other classic rock riffs) it just can't do it.

Sounds okay, but it won't drive hard enough to give you anything below an A.

Not enough power.

Turn it down enough so it can, then it starts to sound thin because you're relying on the artificial "Drive."

Worth the price?

Well, I paid $355 out the door for mine.

They're a bit higher now, so it's not so clear to me now.

I'm just not able to spend big bucks on an amp.

Boutique amps are lost on me.

I agree they're cool, but I just can't make myself pay for "hand-wired" this or "5-watt" that.

Gimme some tubes in a simple amp at a decent price - I'm good.

One of the amps I would love to get is the DSL 100....but unless I can soundproof somewhere to practice, I doubt the neighbours will stand for it. Joe Bonamassa gets a pretty decent sound out of 'em.....he uses them for appearances when he doesn't bring his full rig.....ie Silver Jubilee....Twinkeland......Two Rock Classic (or Two Rock something) and early Bogner.....it changes very often except the Jubilee......All Boutique and maybe handwired...but all 100W

When I saw Bonamassa last, he was using Budda amps behind a clear plexiglass diffuser.

That guy has some GEAR man!

I guess he nearly bought my old Gretsch before my wife picked it up for Christmas a few years ago.

Yup....I'd say

Look here:

http://www.muzicosphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/joe_bonamassa_guitars_amps.jpg

Thats some gear...

I JUST got a used Blues Jr with upgraded tubes, new reverb tank, and a Celestion Greenback replacement speaker. I've only had a little time to fuss with it, but yea, 15watts of tube power can get VERY loud. Super nice clean tones, and I can get some nice grit by pushing the volume up and controlling the output via the master volume.

I kinda got it to go with my upcoming 50's tribute.

I love my blues jr. but I'm in the apartment life right now and even on two or three my fiancee can hear me down the hall when she's coming home. Gotta play nice with the neighbours! Basically my point here is I don't need to "supe up" my Blues Jr, I'm happy with where it's at right now.

Archived