Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson, Epi, Fender necks

cchollandjr

I own '61 L-7, 58 Fender Duo Sonic, both bought new and Sheraton II 12/06. The Gibson and Fender necks are wonderful, the Sheraton is less wonderful, I feel the edges of the fingerboard more, but I love the tone. The Sheraton fells flater. Is it a "D" type neck, whereas the Gibson and Fender are "C" type necks? Do the Gibson and Fender have more fingerboard radius, i.e., shorter radius? I can't figure it out. thanks

Charles

The Duo Sonic will likely have a 7-1/2" radius, the L-7 more like a 10" or 12". I can't comment on the Epi but my guess is 12". The difference between the Duo Sonic and the others will be obvious, but the difference between the L7 and the Epi less so; probably less a result of the radius and more a result of the round-ness of the top edge of the neck binding. I seem to recall Bozeman acting on that and bringing out what they call the "Big Sky" neck profile. I'm not well versed in it but I believe they were searching for the "nicely broken in" roundness of an older guitar. It may just be tapering the top edge of the binding so it's not so squared off, which may be the Epi's case. I'm brave on the workbench but I don't know how well it could be artificially introduced after the guitar is built.

Archived