Gibson Brands Forums

Discontinued Model Club

guitarkid

Rocketman, the Cherry finish is truly gorgeous. I have never seen that finish before.

Thanks! It was the only Gibson I bought from GC. I got it from there because Gibson made them for GC only and it was a limited run. So I had to move on it once I saw and played it. Note you can get them as a Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition from the early to mid 2000's.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my baby. Almost sold her, but realized she was more rare than I thought.

Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway. July 12th, 1999, Nashville plant.

When looking at other similar DCs around on the web, it seems that mine does not have the white trim on the neck, and the truss rod cover is just plain gold with no writing. Every other one I've seen has the white fretboard trim and a fancier truss rod cover. Anyone know if this is an indication of a factory seconds piece?

I believe production started in 1998 and discontinued in 2005; supposedly because they were cutting too heavily into SG sales. That may be a myth.

Apologies for the crappy pics; the only camera I have right now is my iPhone.

Mine has the white trim but just a plain black trc. It was made in 2007. Hope that helps in the dating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Standard faded has already been covered, but I can't resist the opportunity to flash mine anyway... ;o)

Snapshot_20100331_2-1.jpg

And I've recently bought this one. It's a 2001 LP Gothic. Basically a studio with ebony board and some other minor changes. The Gothic models were supposed to be some kind of matte black, but mine seems low gloss. Can't really figure that one out.

22112010224-001.jpg

22112010191.jpg

22112010196.jpg

22112010189.jpg

Sorry about the big pictures...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first, and one and only, Gibson LP. Studio Premium Plus - natural. My camera sucks, so the shots are slightly blurry.

P1010209.JPG

P1010210.JPG

Here's one where I sort of feux-fitted the pickguard, just to see what it would look like. The LP came with one, but the thought of drilling into the body is crazy to me. I doubt I'll ever install it.

P1010191.JPG

My first, and one and only, Gibson LP. Studio Premium Plus - natural. My camera sucks, so the shots are slightly blurry.

P1010209.JPG

P1010210.JPG

Here's one where I sort of feux-fitted the pickguard, just to see what it would look like. The LP came with one, but the thought of drilling into the body is crazy to me. I doubt I'll ever install it.

P1010191.JPG

gorgeous flame on that!, i prefer it with the pg off but that's just me [thumbup]

I'm not an expert or historian by any means, so...was there an era where natural studio's were produced with maple necks and binding, or is that custom job??

I like it, by the way...very unique if you ask me. [thumbup]

Its a 2007 Standard Blonde Beauty (GC exclusive). Maple neck, AAA maple cap, natural finish. Gibson put maple necks on their guitars in 70s and 80s. Gibson still offers LPs with maple necks, Raw Power, LP Piezo, and others.

006-1.jpg

I have always preferred maple necks. You don't have to adjust them as often, and they are stronger than Mahogany.

Guest BentonC

Well, I'll be the first Standard Faded. [biggrin]

2005 Standard Faded 60's Style Neck. Made on the 53rd day of the first year.

Discontinued I believe in 2007. The Standard Faded's with 50's necks were totally discontinued in late 2008.

IMG_8910.jpg?t=1284066867

I wish we brought this guitar back!

No doubt. That top is beautiful.

Thanks! I'm still in love with it for sure! Plus, they are going up in price. I saw a Tobacco with a 60's neck go for over $2400 on eBay a couple of weeks ago!

If they bring them back then I wouldn't have such a special guitar anymore. So personally, I'm hoping they stay discontinued!

Archived