Gibson Brands Forums

Fulltone '69 Fuzz Slight Return

Californiaman

Finally got my Fulltone '69 Slight Return fuzz pedal a couple of weeks ago. I now have two...the other is the Plum Crazy FX Fuzzy Lady. I love both of these pedals!

[thumbup] [thumbup]

The Fuzzy Lady interests me because it is half Ge and half Si. That has to be some crazy sounds.

Wish I knew more about pedal electronics. Would love to put a pair of BC108 trannies in my Fuzz Face reissue to make it more musical.

The one thing that I continue to hear is that germanium tranies are much more musical than silicon.

That's just what I've read and experienced.

I tried the Keeley FuzzFace it is switchable. I really dug the Ge side more than the silicon. It has more texture, silicon seemed to be more "sterile" for fuzz. It's like the difference between old metal and newer metal, it sounds too tight and compressed

The one thing that I continue to hear is that germanium tranies are much more musical than silicon.

That's just what I've read and experienced.

That is what I find. The Ge fuzzes clean up (relative term, I know) well and are more responsive to pick attack. My Dunlop Fuzz Face reissue is an Si wall of mush, although I can nail that muddy Gary Louris Waiting for the Sun lead tone. Even my 70s Mosrite Fuzzrite (Ge) is more dynamic and musical. So was my Yardbox (sold).

My Hoof is a Ge/Si hybrid and I don't really like the way it cleans up. I think in that case it's more just because of the circuit.

My Torn's Peaker is Si and it sounds GOOD and cleans up really well.

My Fuzz Factory is still my favorite and of course it's Ge and responds to touch and volume like none other.

Try not to get too caught up in whether it's Ge or not there are way too many sweet Si fuzzes.

That thing is pretty groovy indeed. I'd like to hear what you think about it when you check it out.

You should check out some Devi Ever pedals I think a couple of them may be right up your alley. The only one I've had a chance to actually play through is my Torn's Peaker but it's so good I'm definately gonna get more of her pedals eventually. The TP sounds like it's coming out of a garage in the 60s. I don't really know exactly how to describe how it sounds but it seems like every time I turn it on I end up playing that part from Black Math that's like "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah awww awwwww".

It's one of those pedals that sounds ****in sweet when you step on it in the middle of a song. It sounds really good with a band it doesn't get lost in the mix.

That thing is pretty groovy indeed. I'd like to hear what you think about it when you check it out.

You should check out some Devi Ever pedals I think a couple of them may be right up your alley. The only one I've had a chance to actually play through is my Torn's Peaker but it's so good I'm definately gonna get more of her pedals eventually. The TP sounds like it's coming out of a garage in the 60s. I don't really know exactly how to describe how it sounds but it seems like every time I turn it on I end up playing that part from Black Math that's like "ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah awww awwwww".

It's one of those pedals that sounds ****in sweet when you step on it in the middle of a song. It sounds really good with a band it doesn't get lost in the mix.

Black Math blows my mind everytime I hear it

I power my fuzz pedals through the Pedal Power 2 plus' positions 7 & 8 (SAG) with the dip switches away from Normal as is recommended for the germanium transistors which simulates a dying carbon battery. I love the fuzz tones from both the '69 and the Fuzzy Lady. B)

Archived