Gibson Brands Forums

1972 Les Paul Signature / Gold Top

Terry

Dont mind me, just a bump for a gorgeous guitar :P

The shop i work at has a 1981 Gold Top Les Paul (69 reissue) but its the classic LP design. This is one beauty though. Learn something new every day eh? Lol

A 69 Les paul Deluxe was my first Gibson. On October 21st, I will have owned it for 40 years........... Bought it used. ( I am starting to feel old!)

1969GibsonLesPaulDeluxe.jpg

• 1 year later...

This may be too late to help Terry, but I just ran across this thread. From his original post it is apparent that Terry did not know a great deal about the Les Paul Signature and the type of pickups that were originally in it, which as we have now determined were low-impedance. I am by no means an expert on these, but my understanding is that they are designed to be played through a low-impedance amplifier, or plugged directly into a board for recording.

Not sure what they sound like played through a regular amplifier, and this may be why the person who had the guitar took the original pups out and replaced them with humbuckers??

I understand Terry wants to retore it to it's orignal condition, but will he be able to use it once it is done? Or maybe that isn't much of a consideration.

Just thought it might be worth mentioning.

This guitar has two output jacks (see diagram). High Impedance (to Amplifier) and Low Impedance (to desk or External Transformer).

I would advise trying it using the Low Impedance Output and an external Matching Transformer into an Amplifier as per the early Les Paul Personal, Professional etc.

Compare this with the High Impedance Output and built in Transformer and go with whichever suits you.

DG

Archived