Gibson Brands Forums

SG's with Fender amps

Randy1

Does anyone have problems with an SG Standard played through a Fender amp? I own 3 Fender amps and when I play my SG through them I feel like the bass strings have a "bottled up tone". The problem is at it worst when I play chords. It seems to help to turn the bass way down on the amps and turn off the fat switch. The amps I use are a Hot Rod Deluxe Tweed, Blues Jr. N.O.S., and a Vibro King Custom. I've seen may people play Gibsons through Fender tube amps and they sounded great. I have the same tone problem with my Epi Les Paul. Is there a trick to making these instruments work well together, or do I just need to spend more time dialing them in? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I play my SG Standard through my Fender Twin 100w all tube amp and it sounds great. The only thing I have to do is when I play through the neck pickup is roll the volume back just a little on the guitar. Since the neck pickup has a fatter tone and seems a little louder than the bridge pickup it really helps to balance it out. My SG is my favorite to play cause it sounds the best out of all my guitars. I use the same settings on the amp with all my guitars and dont have any problems. You might just need to spend some more time dialing it in.

Single coil Fender pickups, being "Thinner" (bright) sounding to begin with, needed that extra bass response

that fender amps (and other's) supply. Les Paul or SG's, need much less bass response, because they

are "darker" pickups, to begin with. Most players I know, who use LP's and SG's with their Fender amps,

(and, I'm one of them), dial the bass way back, or even completely off, on the amp. Depending, of course, on

what tone one's after. But a lot of the old "Classic Rock," or "Blues" tone is very much "midrange" with

some treble, and not so much bass. Again, depending on your preferences, you'll need to experiment

more. But, there's absolutely no reason not to be able to get killer tones, from Fender amps, no matter

what guitar is being use.

CB

OK, Just recieved an Epiphone Japan '61 SG, which is essentially an "Elitist" with the (accurate) Gibson headstock.

Amazing guitar, for the "coin!" Ran it through my Marshall AVT-20 (My usual practice amp)...and as would

be expected, the "humbucker/Marshall" tone was there, in spades! So, decided I'd try it with my Fender

Blues Junior, and Hot Rod Deluxe, while I was at it....and in reference to this thread. The tone was wonderful...

BUT, quite different, from the Marshall sound. I knew this, going in...LOL, so there was no surprise there. Both,

had that great "Fender" tone, both clean and overdriven. The "Blues Jr." was a bit "thinner" sounding, than the HR Deluxe....not as "lush," or deep...but still quite nice, in it's own right. It's not better, or worse, than the Marshall...just Different! So, just to add to my previous post...Yes, the SG with Fender amp tone is fantastic...and different, than the Marshall tone. Granted, the AVT-20 is a "Valve State" hybrid amp, and not a true Marshall TUBE amp...but it does the Marshall sound/roar, pretty well, all things considered. So, if you are used to "Marshall/Humbucker" combination, and that particular tone, the Fender will be...not disappointing (at least, to me), just totally different. Both, have their uses.

Which is why most of us have more than one amp, as well as our various guitars.

CB

I use, depending on the size of the venue I'm playin, a 59 Bassman RI or a Tweed HR Deluxe with a vintage 30 and I really get some good tones out of my P-90 and burstbucker equipt SGs. These SGs can get a number of voices out of them!

AD/DC fan i have a 62 sg and a fender rock pro 700

and i feel i have not enough bass and i do alot to

try and get better and i even use angus youngs

amp settings for me its too much or to little bass

try halfing every knob and adding bass as you go.

Archived