Gibson Brands Forums

Which Fuzz Box?

ftgjr

A good fuzz box for your money is the HomeBrew Electronics UFO Ultimate Fuzz Octave.

I used mine for a couple hours the other day and really enjoyed the wide variety of tonal configurations I got with it.

It also has some great sustain too.

With the vintage or modern switch you can really dial in something to suit your needs.

The octave switch is a fun effect too.

Gearmanndude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LhuTLav5o4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother is great at soldering and electronics and general technical stuff. Yesterday I asked him if he could put together a pedal based on schematics on the Internet. So he went home later and did some searching on the computer and started looking at Build Your Own Clone (BYOC) pedals. They have kits with everything you need to made an AWESOME pedal. They're pretty expensive for a kit but they have the best components you can get.

He's starting off building a simple boost pedal. If he likes it I'm going to buy an E.S.V 2-Knob Bender fuzz kit and have him build it for me. It uses all the best parts. NOS stuff like Germanium transistors etc.

I had heard of BYOC but I didn't realize how legit their kits are. Check em out.

By the way gearmandude got his start building pedals with BYOC.

My brother is great at soldering and electronics and general technical stuff. Yesterday I asked him if he could put together a pedal based on schematics on the Internet. So he went home later and did some searching on the computer and started looking at Build Your Own Clone (BYOC) pedals. They have kits with everything you need to made an AWESOME pedal. They're pretty expensive for a kit but they have the best components you can get.

He's starting off building a simple boost pedal. If he likes it I'm going to buy an E.S.V 2-Knob Bender fuzz kit and have him build it for me. It uses all the best parts. NOS stuff like Germanium transistors etc.

I had heard of BYOC but I didn't realize how legit their kits are. Check em out.

By the way gearmandude got his start building pedals with BYOC.

I need to get one of those to try it out

+1 on BYOC. there are some other good places too if you poke around. I built a tube screamer clone from a kit by General Guitar Gadgets, also good to deal with.

But, if you're adventurous, here's a cool article at geofex.com on the actually very simple circuit that is the original fuzz face. the hardest part is sourcing good transistors.

Tecnology of the Fuzz Face

i built an NPN silicon version based on this article ( because i got a bunch of the transistors really cheap!) :-)

fuzzface.jpg

another one that's easy to build and sounds great is the Dallas Rangemaster: ridiculously low parts count and in front of a tube amp sounds amazing. a great place to start with effects building.

rangem-1.jpg

here's a link to the PDF that explains this one in detail. save it and rotate it for easier reading. :D

rangemaster PDF link

enjoy,

Don

I'm looking into both of these pedals. [-o<[-o<[-o<

Let me know if you get the Fuzzy Lady, and inform how you like it...I have yet to find a pedal as musical and unique sounding as this fuzz. I recently just got a Mahoney Acid Tone, and its a really great fuzz pedal, but just not as versitile and musical as the Fuzzy Lady. But it does have its own flavor witch i really enjoy, and will be using it on a other pedalboard.

Let me know if you get the Fuzzy Lady, and inform how you like it...I have yet to find a pedal as musical and unique sounding as this fuzz. I recently just got a Mahoney Acid Tone, and its a really great fuzz pedal, but just not as versitile and musical as the Fuzzy Lady. But it does have its own flavor witch i really enjoy, and will be using it on a other pedalboard.

I sent them an e-mail late Friday so I hope to hear from them Monday or Tuesday. I am oerdering the Fuzzy Lady. I checked out a couple of utube vids out on their other products. I kinda like the Squawk too. [thumbup]

I sent them an e-mail late Friday so I hope to hear from them Monday or Tuesday. I am oerdering the Fuzzy Lady. I checked out a couple of utube vids out on their other products. I kinda like the Squawk too. [thumbup]

Funny that you say that, i was just about to bid on a used Squawk for 80$ but just didnt have the money..I really want to get the Head Mutha Fuzz In Charge as well...But plz give us a review when you get the lady of fuzz! [thumbup]

Little late on this one, but let me chime in if I can! I have a 69 Fuzz and it is very versatile. You want that pedal or the Analogman Sunfance for the Thickfreakness Sound. A Big Muff is basically a distortion pedal yes, try a Fulltone 70 if you want that silicon grind. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

J

As I always do when ever pedals come up in any form. I have a beefed up British Blues Overdrive from these guys.Here are some BYOC links.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/octavefuzz.html

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/leeds.html

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/fuzz.html

This guys sells them pre-built if you prefer.

http://axeandyoushallreceive.com/store/page1.html

These pedals are awesome, period .

Archived