Gibson Brands Forums

Small Mixer. Recommendations.

albertjohn

I will be shortly selling my 335 to fund the purchase of a Bose L1 Compact which I can get at a very good price.

The Bose does not have any reverb and only 2 channels. I will, occasionally, want to plug another mic and/or electric guitar into it via a pedal, so I'm looking for a small 4 channel mixer with reverb to do the job. The Bose T1 mixer is too expensive IMO.

Anyone have any ideas?

I used to use a Bose Model 1 "stick" system for our band's PA, covering four vocal mics, two acoustic guitars and a couple on the drum kit with a small Mackie 12-chl mixer. I think the one we used has been replaced in the Mackie lineup with the ProFX Series of mixers, available in 8-chl and 12-chl models. Mackie ProFX8

Never had any trouble with it. Various FX onboard, phantom power available, good EQ section. A rugged package that served us well. There are many makers of small mixers....I just have experience with the Mackie products. Good stuff.

I will be shortly selling my 335 to fund the purchase of a Bose L1 Compact which I can get at a very good price.

The Bose does not have any reverb and only 2 channels. I will, occasionally, want to plug another mic and/or electric guitar into it via a pedal, so I'm looking for a small 4 channel mixer with reverb to do the job. The Bose T1 mixer is too expensive IMO.

Anyone have any ideas?

My suggestion is forget the Bose and get a Fishman SA220 . Its Half the cost and has a great reveb

SA 220

I love mine and for the price (I paid $750. U.S. NIB E-bay ) you may be able to keep the 339!

JMHO your milage may vary. B)

My suggestion is forget the Bose and get a Fishman SA220 . Its Half the cost and has a great reveb

SA 220

I love mine and for the price (I paid $750. U.S. NIB E-bay ) you may be able to keep the 339!

JMHO your milage may vary. B)

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a great idea. However, the retail price of the Fishman and the L1 Comapct are about the same over here and in fact I can get the Bose at slightly less than the Fishman. It constantly amazes me how much more we pay over here. Fishman circa £850 ($1,275 US), Bose circa £899 ($1,350 US). Both retail prices.

This is what I use. A very good product. I'm completely satisfied with it. A versatile little component.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-EURORACK-UB1202-Mixer?sku=631236

Thanks Larry. Does it have reverb?

Interestingly, I was just looking at this one. Looks to be great value and versatile too.

http://www.behringer.co.uk/EN/Products/1002FX.aspx

I used to use a Bose Model 1 "stick" system for our band's PA, covering four vocal mics, two acoustic guitars and a couple on the drum kit with a small Mackie 12-chl mixer. I think the one we used has been replaced in the Mackie lineup with the ProFX Series of mixers, available in 8-chl and 12-chl models. Mackie ProFX8

Never had any trouble with it. Various FX onboard, phantom power available, good EQ section. A rugged package that served us well. There are many makers of small mixers....I just have experience with the Mackie products. Good stuff.

Thanks Buc. To be honest it's a little more than I was looking to spend (£200 over here) and a bit over the top for me and another singer maybe. Still a whole cheaper than the Bose T1 though!

I have an Alesis Multimix 4 USB. It's a great little piece of kit, with the added bonus of a USB output, so you can connect it to a PC or Mac for recording or some other processing. It works a treat with GarageBand on my Mac, for example. No built-in reverb, but at around £75 you could probably get a decent external Reverb unit. I got mine from Andertons - http://www.andertons.co.uk/studio-mixers/pid15800/cid605/alesis-multimix-4-usb.asp

Or for not much more, there's the 8-channel with USB & Reverb, as well as other effects.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/studio-mixers/pid19270/cid605/alesis-multimix-8-usb-mixer-with-fx.asp

wish this one had been around when I bought mine..... :-(

Thanks Larry. Does it have reverb?

Interestingly, I was just looking at this one. Looks to be great value and versatile too.

http://www.behringer.co.uk/EN/Products/1002FX.aspx

No, it has a wonderful FX Send where you can add reverb, chorus, or whatever effect you choose. I use it mostly for vocal mics. I do use it to mic my guitars when soloing. It's a very good product for the price. Simple and does what its supposed to do quite well. I highly recomend it! The one that you've linked is an upgrade from the one I have. It does have the effects. These are great little mixers!

I use the Multimix 8 and also IU have a Yorkville M1610 which is a great mixe. Probably more than you are looking for It's going up for sale ,along with a pair of Yamaha S1-12V speakers. The Multimix is low wattage unit. Depending on the room you are doing Good Luck

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Once again, the response has been absolutely brilliant and has saved me hours hoofing around the internet with no real clue what I'm looking for.

This is not an urgent purchase but armed with all your suggestions, I now have some idea on what to look for.

It's pretty gut wrenching to sell the 335. It's a guitar I have coveted for many, many years but I just don't play it. Time to pass it on to someone who will make use of it and try to improve what I really like doing i.e. playing in a pub with some mates, having a beer, a sing and a laugh. For the timebeing, I'm thinning out the herd where I want to buy new stuff.

Thanks again. I'll let you know what I eventually get. Please post if there are any more ideas.

Cheers everyone.

Archived