Gibson Brands Forums

Varitone Settings

truthoffiction

Hi All,

I thought I'd post the Varitone settings for those who care. The more I play with this circuit, the more I like it. Extremely useful! I wish more Gibson models had this feature.

Position 1--> no cut

Position 2--> -5db at 1950hz

Position 3--> -12db at 1 100hz

Position 4--> -16db at 620hz

Position 5--> -18.5db at 360hz

Position 6--> -21db at 1 20hz

For the Lifeson, try Varitone setting #2 for Hemispheres Cygnus X1. (bridge pickup) Varitone settings kind of suck the output from the guitar a bit, so be prepared to have your amp settings set a bit louder to accomodate. Once you get the amp to respond however, you will see that this is extremely close to the original sound of this album. What is really cool about setting your amp up this way is that when you switch the Bypass on, you are ready to kick out some leads. I have been playing Cygnus X1 Book 1 with this setting and it is dead on. Very cool! I did my rendition of La Villa Strangiato with the Varitone bypassed because of the need for a more full sounding guitar throughout most of the song, but for the song of Hemispheres, this Varitone really works well.

For the Lifeson' date=' try Varitone setting #2 for Hemispheres Cygnus X1. (bridge pickup) Varitone settings kind of suck the output from the guitar a bit, so be prepared to have your amp settings set a bit louder to accomodate. Once you get the amp to respond however, you will see that this is extremely close to the original sound of this album. What is really cool about setting your amp up this way is that when you switch the Bypass on, you are ready to kick out some leads. I have been playing Cygnus X1 Book 1 with this setting and it is dead on. Very cool! I did my rendition of La Villa Strangiato with the Varitone bypassed because of the need for a more full sounding guitar throughout most of the song, but for the song of Hemispheres, this Varitone really works well.[/quote']

As always Wondo , thanks for the info .

ALSO THANK YOU FOR NOT POSTING ever FN instrument you own EACH and every time you give a message /wink.

/cheers

For the Lifeson, try Varitone setting #2 for Hemispheres Cygnus X1. (bridge pickup) Varitone settings kind of suck the output from the guitar a bit, so be prepared to have your amp settings set a bit louder to accomodate. Once you get the amp to respond however, you will see that this is extremely close to the original sound of this album. What is really cool about setting your amp up this way is that when you switch the Bypass on, you are ready to kick out some leads. I have been playing Cygnus X1 Book 1 with this setting and it is dead on. Very cool! I did my rendition of La Villa Strangiato with the Varitone bypassed because of the need for a more full sounding guitar throughout most of the song, but for the song of Hemispheres, this Varitone really works well.

Great info Wondo, Thanks! Saved me hours of experimentation.

Archived