Gibson Brands Forums

Starting 14 Weeks of Guitar Lessons today!

ShredAstaire

Yeah I signed up for the Beginners class so I can actually learn proper stuff...going back to basics and erasing old bad habits (hopefully) and learning new things to help get me out of my rut...

Tonight will be boring...."This is called the headstock" etc...but i'm gonna put on my game face and learn everything I can!!!

Nice! I just vowed to myself I'm going to go through the "Guitar In 60 Seconds" dvd set I ordered. (it's not what it sounds like) Kenny Salter guitar course. I started it, and just stopped. No discipline. Gonna start it tonight and set aside 30 minutes - 1 hour of actual focused learning, not just dicking around, playing 1/2 a song, opening riffs, etc. Actually learn to play correctly. JustinGuitar on Youtube has some very good videos as well.

Anyway, good luck, and nothing wrong with taking lessons.

I kinda live by "someone, somewhere always knows more than you"

Thanks! Thats exactly why I wanted to take lessons...i've got no discipline to learn on my own and i need someone (teacher) to hold me accountable to my practice etc. Hopefully it works!! :)

That's the main reason I started taking lessons again, and it worked. That's the second best decision I ever made.

Nowadays the big issue is whether to learn to read music...any comments?

I read music. It's practically essential if you play in an ensemble/orchestra with a wind or string instrument (unless you're improvising). But for instruments you can chord on (like guitar or keyboard), it's not necessary. You can get by easily with tabs. There's been plenty of famous musicians/songwriters who couldn't read music.

If you want to learn music theory, chord naming, etc - reading music is part of it.

ShredAstaire -

Good luck with the lessons. B)

Yeah I signed up for the Beginners class so I can actually learn proper stuff...going back to basics and erasing old bad habits (hopefully) and learning new things to help get me out of my rut...

Tonight will be boring...."This is called the headstock" etc...but i'm gonna put on my game face and learn everything I can!!!

good luck john! B)

Nowadays the big issue is whether to learn to read music...any comments?

I learned to read standard notation when I played trumpet in 4th grade. It's really not difficult, but trumpet only plays one note at a time.

The biggest advantage I get from standard notation is the time. I don't have to know the song to play it, provided I know the notes and how long to hold them.

Tab doesn't do that, but with tab and notation, together, I get the whole package without having to translate the notes to the fretboard.

Tab lacks timing, and notation requires learning a lot more.

I prefer tab with notation and chord cheats above both the notation and the tab.

I read music and am glad I learned. I read it almost as fast as tablature, which is not fast. One of the secrets to playing notation is to understand which key you're in for the song you want to play and play the notes in the song within the scale for that key (another good reason to learn major/minor scales) by just observing the intervals between notes and accidentals. Obviously, notes denote timing also; something you can't get from tablature.

Alright...it was a typical first lesson kinda day....some people were a bit late and then by the time we tuned (remember, this course is for beginners), it was already 40 mins into the 1 hour lesson.

We learned two "songs"...just the root notes...

Thank You For Letting Me Be Myself by Sly and the Family Stone

and

Summertime by George Gershwin

Both very easy tunes if just playing the root notes...but we got the groove down on both of em. Just gotta practice and make sure I play well next week!

After that we just talked about what the course is going to entail...found out we will learn 14 songs over the 14 weeks....2 of them being "difficult" songs...

This is good for me and the class had a bunch of good people in it. Should be a good time each week.

I also enjoyed my 30 min trip each way on the subway where i just played some blues on my ipod to get me pumped....Black Keys on the way in, and Johnny Winter on the way home!!

Archived