• Created
  • Last Reply

The saxophone solo is the worst part.

Reminds me of Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing where Knopfler says

A crowd of young boys stand foolin' around in the corner

Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and platform soles

They don't give a damn about any trumpet-playin' band

It ain't what they call Rock n Roll

To me, rock n roll is all about guitars.

Add other stuff if you absolutely must, but if it ain't got the guitar....

[-X[-(

The saxophone solo is the worst part.

Reminds me of Dire Straits' Sultans of Swing where Knopfler says

A crowd of young boys stand foolin' around in the corner

Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and platform soles

They don't give a damn about any trumpet-playin' band

It ain't what they call Rock n Roll

To me, rock n roll is all about guitars.

Add other stuff if you absolutely must, but if it ain't got the guitar....

[-X[-(

1) Do you consider other types of music, where the guitar isn't the prominent lead instrument, invalid? Where does that leave decades of Jazz history? Where does that leave orchestral classical music?

2) Where does that leave early rock'n'roll, where the lead instrument was often the saxophone or the piano? What about bands where the electric organ was featured more prominently (i.e. The Zombies, The Doors, etc.)?

I'm sorry, but where would you place:

and

I suppose I shouldn't question your opinions, but I was only asking out of curiosity.

Okay... this is just opinion, pure and simple, but...

I think a lot of our musical "taste" evolves from what we heard as children and then during our years of socialization as teens.

Personally I had a lot of exposure to a lotta stuff. Heck, I like Strauss waltzes.

Some of the stuff from my youth I disliked intensely at the time and now find rather fun to fingerpick because of the melodic qualities. For example, the old versions of "You Belong to Me" ("See the pyramids along the Nile...."), "Unchained Melody," etc., etc., and a lotta doowop are great fun for fingerpicking. As a teen and adult into my 40s I didn't care for them at all.

So add to one's early exposure and more youthful "taste," I think we need to consider changing concepts as one ages both as a person and as a musician. Ever notice how many rockers and country "stars" both tend to come up with collections of "standards" that are as old or older than they are?

Frankly I don't care much for "bubblegum" music, but some of it was even fun to play when I was a kid. As much fun to play in ways as some of the heavier rock stuff.

But then, I've sometimes described my own solo fingerpickin' as elevator music, so I dunno what else to say. <grin>

m

Archived