Gibson Brands Forums

Well If that don't beat all

jaxson50

Has as much visual appeal as a cat box..

Agreed.

I've yet to find my 60 year-old design Telecaster lacking significantly, certainly not my Strat or Les Paul.

Over the last 30 years, I've found the term "avant-garde" to be code for "weird as hell, for no reason."

Well... it wouldn't be my choice.

I think a term near the end of the vid pretty well describes it, though: Porsche of guitars. I think that's perhaps even more appropriate when one thinks of the old bathtub Porsche that was not really any more fancy inside than a low-end Volksie. It just had more technology to go faster.

Jax... that's German engineering IMHO, not NASA.

Actually it reminded me instead of something a Star Trek designer might have come up with as a futuristic design.

The problem with "futuristic" design is that basically "we" want traditional designs. Leo Fender, for example, did come up with some quality post WWII guitar solid bodies, but even then the concept of solid body guitar - contrary to the vid - had been rather well established pre-war and lots of folks were looking for ways to use those nicely standardized electronic parts that factory owners wanted to keep making and selling.

Gibson's success in design, I think, was first in evolution of more traditional guitar designs with electronics added. Even the sound is more similar. The Fenders never quite sound like a "real" guitar - i.e., an acoustic instrument.

Actually this thing isn't, to me, "minimalistic," but rather an electrical engineer's experiment with modularity.

m

I don't see the point. IMO it doesn't sound better than a "normal" guitar, but it looks really fugly.

What's silly however is that this guy has the nerve to compare himself to Leo Fender. I hate it when someone with a bad idea uses that argument: "Yeah, you say this is stupid, but they laughed at [Fender, Edison, Darwin, the Wright Brothers, etc.]."

Getting laughed at doesn't make one a visionary or a genius. This guy is neither...

Seems to me that the guy looks at guitars as visual art. That's fine, but it has nothing to do with the function or sound of the instrument. It's basically art that happens to also be a guitar.

The film says it all. They see themselves as guitar Bohemians - misunderstood artist vagabonds who's cultural and artistic values transcend the traditional.

These guys really are just modern day artist-elitists. The film probably cost a hundred thousand dollars to make.

I prefer guitars that look traditional. But I also prefer musicians who don't wear costumes. Just an aesthetic thing, I guess. [biggrin]

I think Freakshow has it on this one, it doesn't play or sound any better, but it looks worse. If it were a car it'd be sitting at the back of the lot waiting for some weirdo with lots of money to come buy it "just because".

collectible? Possibly.

Besides given everyone's fear on here the evolution of guitar is this, isn't it?

rb3_guitar_detail_01.jpg

1) I think that his Leo Fender comparison is really stupid. There's a difference between what this guy is doing and what Leo Fender did. Fender's designs had functional reasons behind them--solid body for feedback reduction and ease of manufacturing, etc. This guy's ideas seem mostly for aesthetic purposes.

2) This video is nothing but hardcore promotion. Everything that's said or done in the video is with the express purposes of making the audience sympathetic towards the creator and inspiring a desire for the instrument.

3) Frankly, I think that it looks and sounds very cool. It's not better than any other guitar I've ever seen (and for some reasons it may be worse) but I actually like it quite a bit. It has sort of a round, airy sound (actually...I have the feeling that the Bogner has a lot to do with this.) I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, but if I saw one, liked the neck, liked the sound, liked the feel, had the money etc.? I might go for it. Although probably not--there are still other guitars which I would rather have.

RE: von Braun...

I got to meet the guy. A very special person with incredible vision. But it's not just the Germans with early NASA. Bob Seamans was also very special, and was von Braun's deputy at NASA for some years - which made my talk with Werner a lot easier since I'd gone to school with Bob's son "back east."

Good engineering tends to be attractive to the eye as well - a point made at least as long ago as Vitruvius. I think that applies not just to buildings but also to vehicles and ... <grin> guitars.

m

Archived