Gibson Brands Forums

Feedback

Musax

Hello. Perhaps this is a old topic and someone could direct me to the thread. But I've been really enjoying my new Es-175, but I'm running into the, what seems to be, common feedback probem. There are a few spots on the guitar that just set that 'vibration' off, and of course when I'm playing in louder situations as well. Anyone have any experience with a remedy? Has anyone used those string dampener you see on top of Jim Hall's, and George Van Eps's guitar? Stuffed with cotton or covered the F holes? Thx for your time. :)

Amp positioning and volume are both factors to consider but I've also found the type of amp can make a difference. I once had a Peavey 15 watt combo and it was really difficult to control the feedback through it when using an ES-175 thinline that I had a few years back.

But I like feedback. ;)

Getting my Byrdland just on the edge of feedback while playing give it a unique sound IMO.

I find that along with amp & guitar position/orientation, the room size is a tremendous factor. In circumstances when feedback is a nuisance, turn the volume to zero on the unused pickup and use the toggle as a kill switch. Playing with amp eq settings can sometimes help, but in my experience it's mainly room size & orientation -- it can be useful to think of your hollowbody like an antenna; depending how you position it, it can be highly responsive to resonance (which is exactly what this type of feedback is).

Hello. Perhaps this is a old topic and someone could direct me to the thread. But I've been really enjoying my new Es-175, but I'm running into the, what seems to be, common feedback probem. There are a few spots on the guitar that just set that 'vibration' off, and of course when I'm playing in louder situations as well. Anyone have any experience with a remedy? Has anyone used those string dampener you see on top of Jim Hall's, and George Van Eps's guitar? Stuffed with cotton or covered the F holes? Thx for your time. :)

Musax, having a true hollow-body is going to lead to the type of challenges you're having, especially with feedback. Most hollow-bodies (just like acoustic guitars)

have certain spots on the neck that are going to create a natural ringing from sympathetic tones or natural harmonic overtones. This is a good thing, naturally, but

if it's causing undesired feedback then a good thing turns to bad. I know when I was a teenager (long time ago) I had a hollow-body electric and because I was a newbie

at using it with an amplifier I blew my speaker a couple of times (didn't make my mother very happy...maybe that's why she discouraged me from playing the guitar).

As the others have already mentioned, you have to be careful of the position you're in with regards to the placement of your amplifier and watch the volume. If

you can learn how to play right and control it, feedback can be an extra tool you use tastefully in painting colors with your sound. You just need to work with it

like anything else and after a while you'll get the hang of playing a hollow-body the way you want and get the sound you want. Buenas suerte, amigo!

Archived