Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Tellin' On You!

Whitmore Willy

Yup...I'm being a tattletale!

First there was TheX with his "good modding platform" post about the new Epi L.P. Specials. (set neck, grover tuners, dual volume and tone controls.)

That got me going as I have always liked the Gibson version but knew I would not spend that kind of money on one.

After reading his post I started checking them out. I liked what I saw but could not find one at the local GC's

that I would buy. Kind of talked myself out of it.

Then, along comes Fantana with his Gold Top. I told you GAS was contagious but noooo...you had to go on about

how much you liked the P-90's. So, I am also blaming YOU! (Actually, I'm thanking you.)

Anyway, I was on the other side of the state a couple of days ago and stopped at the GC there. Well, they

had a couple of them. One had been through the "Saturday Morning Kiddie Crowd". The scratches and dings on it

were enough to make a grown man cry. The other was still in new condition and told me it wanted a good home.

"What could I do?" I asked. "Get me out of here," it replied.

Well, it has a new home now and seems happy as it is constantly singing.

Sorry about the lousy pics (I have a cheep camera and doggy-doo talent as a photographer)

IMG_1692-1.jpg

The soapbar P-90's sound quite good even with the stock electronics. I won't know if I will change them out until I change out the pots, caps, wires...etc.

They may end up being keepers.

IMG_1693-1.jpg

The only thing I have done with it so far is to give it the most basic setup. I was able to set the neck relief at

.008". Was able to set the string heights at 5/64 and 3/64 respectively. Not a trace of fret buzz.

I also lowered the slots on the stock nut and reshaped it. I know it looks a little funky but that is just the shadows and bad photography.

(Just a quickie job as I will replace it with a Tusq.)

IMG_1690.jpg

All in all I am quite pleased.

Willy

Does anyone have one of these in the "TV Yellow" finish? I think it looks really cool, but I've heard mixed reviews about the finish on the yellow one. Some say it looks great and you can even see the wood-grain through it and I've heard others say it looks like a taxi cab. Just wondering if anyone has seen one in person or had any pics. That red one looks excellent by the way. Nice one!

Does anyone have one of these in the "TV Yellow" finish? I think it looks really cool, but I've heard mixed reviews about the finish on the yellow one. Some say it looks great and you can even see the wood-grain through it and I've heard others say it looks like a taxi cab. Just wondering if anyone has seen one in person or had any pics. That red one looks excellent by the way. Nice one!

More like a pot o' mustard. That said, though, still not too bad--they're probably trying to get an "aged Gibbie" look on it. If I were getting one, would probably go for the TV or the cherry. Not the black until they come out with cream-colored pups.

Thanks guys.

I did ask about the TV yellows but no one seems to have any in stock.

Besides, I would not buy a guitar I could not play first. Been there, done that, didn't work out.

I have been busy most of the day working around the house but I did get some time to play it this afternoon.

(Sorry Cheeks, all I got is an old tube amp)

Now to find a case. Not that easy to find one. Most cases that fit LP's are too deep for a special.

I might just do what I did for my grandson. Epi LP case with some foam rubber and some cloth.

(other suggestions are welcome)

The mods will have to wait until later this year. Only so much time. What spare time I have left will be spent playing.

I will try to get some sound clips up over the next few weeks. After 2 months of part time practicing I am

almost starting to sound musical again.

Willy

willy, welcome to the club!!!!! and congrats. I have an artic white--which has a trans look, so u can see the grain. I love it. It is completely stock. just for info--and those who like to mod- what electronics are you upgrading with?

not sure if i will mod mines yet, as I to think the stock pups are awesome. and at this time I have not issue with the elctrics are well.

CIMG0364.jpg

Supersonic,

Yup, definitely hard to pass up.

Wardog,

Beautiful guitar you have there. Love the color.

Eventually I'll put a Tusq nut on mine. Probably replace the bridge with a Gotoh locking. Hey, for $20 bucks? They are a little wider than the stock bridge.

I will likely also replace the stock electronics with CTS pots and spraque caps.

Also, strap locks (can't forget those)

As I said, eventually. Can't say I'm in much of a hurry as it plays quite well stock.

Fact is, I just like to dabble and don't have many commitments in the middle of our beautiful Michigan

snowstorms. (Which will be here all too soon for my taste) LOL

Willy

sorry about the gas brooks, but, the club is open for more members!!!![thumbup]

Willy, i hear yah!! I like to dabble also, but can't find a reason to do anything to this one(*yet). I am not experienced enough to do a fret level and plan to have the repair tech i use, work on a few of the guitars i have.

I've been eye-balling that "yaller" one for a while now.

We have one in stock at the store ... and I get such a lovely discount ... but I also enjoy being married. What to do?

Jim

That's easy... Tell Mrs. Midi that Donnie & Marie are doing some Green Day covers and you need a Special to get the right tone!!!

HNGD Willy!

I have the "TV Yellow" and it is definitely Checker Taxi yellow. I seem to remember someone here who had a yellow one where you could see the grain, but mine is solid.

Still a nice git in a Cheap Trick sort of way....

Special009body.jpg

Special002whole.jpg

Looking at your new guitar brings on "Must Build Guitar" syndrome for me Willy.

That's a great shape, and color. The P-90's are a bonus.

Actually my new "Build" will most likely be a "close to" Les Paul shape.

Flat top, not arch top.

P-90's, ebony fingerboard, maple headstock and neck, woodgrain body with natural masked binding, neck through, locking tuners, wraparound bridge, black hardware.

Sound good?

Brianh,

That's quite a beauty you got there.

If you don't mind me asking...What kind of case is that? Looks like a pretty good fit.

Supersonic,

As my sainted grandfather used to say, "GAS IS BEST"!

Gordy,

Sounds like a great build. I have an ebony fretboard on an old "76" LP Custom. Still one of my favorite

Guitars. What brand of P-90's would you use? Or, are you going to surprise us?

Willy

I've been eye-balling that "yaller" one for a while now.

We have one in stock at the store ... and I get such a lovely discount ... but I also enjoy being married. What to do?

Jim

It's cool Jim, you can hide it at my place so she won't find out. [thumbup]

supersonic, the new ones i see at the local gc are the darker yellow like the gibson. there is some wood grain that shows in the paint. I would have gotten that color, but find the white and the rest weas history.

supersonic, the new ones i see at the local gc are the darker yellow like the gibson. there is some wood grain that shows in the paint. I would have gotten that color, but find the white and the rest weas history.

Hey, thanks for the info! No GC in my little town though so I may have to take my chances with Musician's Friend.

Archived