Gibson Brands Forums

How do you like your flame?

heymisterk

So I have been shopping for a Les Paul. Still not sure if I am sold on one yet (SG guy), but I am definitely in the market for a Standard.

As I have been looking, I have been struck by the different amount of flame on the maple top from guitar to guitar.

Even more, it seems like the more recent the model, the more likely it is to be heavily flamed.

For me personally, I don't like all that fire. Just for reference, I really like this top, which seems to have no flame at all.

And you?

So I have been shopping for a Les Paul. Still not sure if I am sold on one yet (SG guy), but I am definitely in the market for a Standard.

As I have been looking, I have been struck by the different amount of flame on the maple top from guitar to guitar.

Even more, it seems like the more recent the model, the more likely it is to be heavily flamed.

For me personally, I don't like all that fire. Just for reference, I really like this top, which seems to have no flame at all.

I like them both - plain and figured. Of the figured, flamed is my favorite.

Can't be sure from your post, but it seems like you might not understand that Gibson puts out "plain top" and "figured top" models. Plain tops have no figuring, just graining. <*Forgive me if this is info you already know*> Figured tops come in various types of figuirng - flame (aka curly, tiger stripe and fiddleback), quilt (aka pillowed), and birdseye, among others. Flamed is by far the most popular type of figuring for Gibsons. Then there's the grade of figuring - usually AA, AAA and AAAA (more A's mean denser figuring).

Plain (no figuring)-

!B1pS7Zw!mk~$(KGrHqEOKjME)M-dBvfSBMfUmPSpPg~~_12.JPG

Flamed -

LPflametopsm.jpg

Quilted -

EpiLPU2-2.jpg

Birdseye -

epi_lpbe.jpg

I am not big into flame, mine has a "freckled" top.

Guitars238.jpg

Nice. Subtle birdseye figuring and nice burst. I really like being able to see both the graining and the figuring.

R9's latest acquisition (50th R0 V2) has the subtle flame where you can easily see the graining (from this thread: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55221-50th-anniversary-r0-v2-light-iced-tea/ )

IMG_8580.jpg

I love flame finishes but I also want a Goldtop Traditional that, unlike my R9, I am not afraid to leave the house with.

My R9 isn't the best flame I've seen but it's purdy enough. Being one of only 25 in CognacBurst with the month and year of my birthday in the serial number in the same year I turned 50 too sealed the deal. - It was just a match meant to be.

113370970.jpg

Need to get my Carvin out doors for some sunlight shots. This crappy lighting chair shot doesn't remotely do it justice. This flamed KOA is just amazingly gorgeous and provides a really wonderful warm, slightly darker tone.

126508644.jpg

The Koa Top on that carvin is killer I bet it comes alive in he sun. As too the OP and flame tops I like both i tend to play the plain tops and they have a classic beauty all there own but there is something about a nice flamed top that is hard to beat

If your not converted yet feast your eyes on a 59 Brockburst and it a one piece top so it might not be perfection but its close

1959-Brockburst-2007-1.jpg

Nice. Subtle birdseye figuring and nice burst. I really like being able to see both the graining and the figuring.

R9's latest acquisition (50th R0 V2) has the subtle flame where you can easily see the graining (from this thread: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/55221-50th-anniversary-r0-v2-light-iced-tea/ )

IMG_8580.jpg

I love that kind of figuring - where you see mostly grain but there's a little figuring here and there.

Archived