Gibson Brands Forums

really need some help please on identifiying

moestavern

hi all, i have been offered to buy an epiphone from a friend of a friend, anyhow before i buy i just want to know what and where it came from, fake? i dont know. It does not have a serial number anywhere, the headstock is massive compared to other epiphones ive seen and googled, on the first and 19th inlay there wonky. can someone please shed some light on this please...thanks jas

DSC00015.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

hi all, i have been offered to buy an epiphone from a friend of a friend, anyhow before i buy i just want to know what and where it came from, fake? i dont know. It does not have a serial number anywhere, the headstock is massive compared to other epiphones ive seen and googled, on the first and 19th inlay there wonky. can someone please shed some light on this please...thanks jas

Approximately 1989 - 1991 made by Samick in Korea. One of the first Epiphone Les Pauls.

DSC00021.jpg

The GREEN CAPACITORS are mylar capacitors and that is good !

Better than cheapo ceramic (little brown disc caps)...

The myar caps have a better and tighter tolerance as to specs.

IE - High spec'd.

The finish on the front is stunning ! Very pretty indeed !

CHEEKS

ah thats great, much appreciated, i just got thrown by the headstock and no serial number, so was a little hesitant....thanks both very much.

These Samicks are generally very nice guitars. As you noted, the headstocks are a little different than the modern ones, and the serial numbers were on little white stickers. Most of those stickers are long since gone.

1989 was the first year of the Epiphone LPs (maybe late 1988), by the early 90s the headstock evolved into the more modern configuration, and by 1992/1993 the serial numbers were stamped into the back of the headstock.

Archived