Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Special II Opinions

58EpiFan

Okay, so I have been at my current job for 15 years (knock on wood or any wood-like product) and the company orders a catalog that you can select a gift from to commemorate the occasion. This one has a couple of watches, vaccuum cleaners, cheap plasma and LCD TVs, etc. They also have an Epiphone Special II (not the GT) pack with the el-cheapo amp, etc. I don't care about all of the other stuff in the pack. What are anyone's thoughts on the guitar itself? Good, bad, bait for trade?

Thanks,

Jim

Hey there,

I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, almost everyday. I currently have a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, and I bought it for like $150. Its what I've had since I've started, and it's treated me well, but if you're pretty good, then this will definitely be a down grade. The guitar was good to learn on, but it isn't that great of quality; the pick ups are not good and the tuning pegs are terrible, it will go out of tune a lot. I'm currently looking to buy a new LP Custom or Standard after playing my friends and noticing how much superior it was. Just, don't get it :D

Nobody would really want one from a trade, so your best bet is that LCD TV or something :)

Cheers

The Les Paul Special II was my introduction to the world of humbuckers, tune-o-matics, single cut-away etc - for that I really cant fault it. It does have quite a cool stripped down charm (no binding, fewer controls, dot markers and so on). Common complaints are the pick-ups - they are not that bad, slightly on the harsh side but nothing to worry about and actually have a nice ring when played clean. Tuning/machine heads - I have the Wine Red with black hardware and although not as good as the Grovers found on higher end Epi's I have had no problems with tuning stability, this makes me wonder if the black tuners are more reliable/stable than the more common chrome ones. I have had my Special II for 6 years now and other than changing a broken tone pot (my fault) it has been more than reliable. I have no problem in endorsing it as a good starter guitar, it gave me the confidence to go with Epiphone for further guitars - I have now added a Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Studio and Dot to my collection all thanks to my Special II.

7C

Jim,

I'm not going to critique the guitar as I think 7C and Simba have given good explanations.

Here are a couple of facts.

Special II... Bolt on neck...Open pickups (no covers)...1 volume control, 1 tone control

Basic player pack ( Which you are probably seeing in the catalog) ... $270

Guitar alone (new) .......................................................... about $170

Guitar alone (used)................................................... $60- $120 depending on condition

If you decide to replace tuners (and did the work yourself) ......... $50+ tools

Others:

Epi Wilshire Pro (new)... set neck, 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls,

push-pull pots (coil splitting), Grover Tuners (no need to replace)... $300

Epi G400 Vintage (new)... set neck, 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls,

Grover tuners......................................................... $300

Epi LP Special Limited Edition (not Special II)...set neck,

2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, Grover tuners..................... $300

Not bashing Special II's. I bought one for my grandson. I also bought it used and replaced the tuners

myself, along with a few other tweeks.

Willy

7C, Willy, and "The Cap'n" are right, great beginner git!

You did mention that this was a FREE gift, and you probably already

have a watch, vacuum, and a TV. The EPI LP Special II "All access" pack

retails for 269.00.

436579.jpg436902.jpg

If you are a beginning player, with a decent set-up this guitar will serve you well

until you KNOW you're ready to step up to a higher grade git, then sell it! (The stock tuners ARE rather

cheesy), but just adequate enough.(If you go this route, SAVE all original boxes, instructions, etc, as

having these will add "percieved value" to the sale). Everyone LOVES stuff still in original package.

If you are an intermediate/advanced player, this would make a great "beater" guitar, OR would

be PERFECT to SELL on Craigslist (as an "all access package") for a good, yet impossible to pass up

price to score some free $$$ for upgrading to higher level gutar. Just a creative use of the Free Gift

offered.

I just did a project using an Epi LP Special II, sold it on Craigslist for my asking price

with ZERO haggling, buyer was happy. It played very nicely after set-up. Originally,

had planned on keeping this as a "beater Git", but the wheels in my brain started

turning, thinking about the NEXT project....

100_0561.jpg100_0565.jpg

MY two cents - get the guitar All Access pack. It has MORE possible end uses to you

than another watch, vacuum, or tv. I sold my Project Special II within 2 hours of posting it.

You'd be surprised how big a market there is for decently-priced gits.

AF, I knew that pic was gouing to show up. Any chance to show off that awesome looking Special! I tell ya, if Epi made the Special-II look like that, they would sell like hotcakes. Not that they dont already, but that just looks so classy.

Thank you for the compliments. I did send a PM (months ago)to Epi1, with pics,

asking if EPI had EVER made a Git that looked like that. Never did get a response.

I apologized for PM-ing him directly, but explained that I did NOT know the "proper"

channels to take...

Jim,

No matter what you decide, I think it is nice that they give you credit for your 15 years of work.

On the occasion of my 15th year I was given a lay off slip. Seems I had become outdated. (not complaining mind you) Fortunately, I already had 35 years in my industry.

Congrats on your 15 years.

Willy

Thanks Willy! Sorry that happened to you on your 15th. And to animalfarm, that IS one sweet Special II. Kinda makes me want to take the gamble and get the guitar and do some modding to it. What the heck..the basic part is free.

Jim

If nothing else, the necks on the lower end Epis make it worth owning one. By far, their most redeeming quality. This is the same neck they put on the LP Jr. HB & the G-310. The one thing I've found with all of my Epiphones - from my basses to my S-500, G-310, LP Jr and even my Kramer, is that Epiphone necks have a quality and consistency about them that make them a joy to play. Even though most of my Epis are vastly different in model and year, they all have that Epiphone neck "feel" that I seem to compare every other guitar to.

What they show in the catalog is this one...

90017_main.jpg

Jim

Works for ME! I like the Burst! Please let us know what you decide, even if

it's not the Git Package. AND, keep posting, we'll answer whatever questions

we can.....

RTH!!!! This was just too obvious for me to pass up doing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Captain20Morgan.jpg

EpiphoneLesPaulSpecialIIsolidbodyhu.jpg

The SPECIAL II sunburst is the one I learned guitar on... for my first year.

I still have it as a backup guitar here. I still am very fond of it. Plays fine.

4.jpg

AFTER I learned for that first year, I treated myself to an

Epiphone LUCILLE (BB King's type of guitar).

Expensive, but a VERY SWEET guitar.

CHEEKS

Thanks again, everyone! I should have mentioned that I am an old Noob, so this setup (well a different amp) should serve me well for the talent I have right now. Definitely would get something better if my talent suddenly takes off. For now though, I am seriously thinking of going with this. It's free, after all.

I will definitely keep you all posted.

Any suggestions on new tuners if I decide I need to change them out?

By the way Cheeks, I like that carpeting. I had that same color in my basement family room until it got wet and ruined last year by a sewer back-up.

Jim

Jim,

Well, if you are a "noob" then that changes the game completely and I would recommend it. Like I said, for the money (or lack there off in your case :D) then you can't go wrong, and also like I said, it's been a great guitar for me to learn on and advance on. I didn't mean to bash it in my original post, as it's been good to me, I just wasn't sure of your level, and I personally am ready for an upgrade. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Jim,

Well, if you are a "noob" then that changes the game completely and I would recommend it. Like I said, for the money (or lack there off in your case :D) then you can't go wrong, and also like I said, it's been a great guitar for me to learn on and advance on. I didn't mean to bash it in my original post, as it's been good to me, I just wasn't sure of your level, and I personally am ready for an upgrade. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hey simba, no sweat. This (I think) is exactly what I need to get me started. What amp are you using? I guess I should have put that out there too. There is a used VOX Pathfinder at my local GC for $50. I have heard they aren't bad for a 15 watt solid state.

Jim

Cheeks, you should have treated yourself to some new carpeting. Like, far-out, man...

You ain't the only one to say that either... hahahah....

I had some youngsters over and they never ever saw SHAG before !

HAHAHAHAHA !

They thought it was CoooL as hell too....

CHEEKS

Thanks again, everyone! I should have mentioned that I am an old Noob, so this setup (well a different amp) should serve me well for the talent I have right now. Definitely would get something better if my talent suddenly takes off. For now though, I am seriously thinking of going with this. It's free, after all.

I will definitely keep you all posted.

Any suggestions on new tuners if I decide I need to change them out?

By the way Cheeks, I like that carpeting. I had that same color in my basement family room until it got wet and ruined last year by a sewer back-up.

Jim

My God, my carpet has a cult following...

CHEEKS

This (I think) is exactly what I need to get me started. What amp are you using? I guess I should have put that out there too. There is a used VOX Pathfinder at my local GC for $50. I have heard they aren't bad for a 15 watt solid state.

Jim

Hey Jim,

Yes this guitar is perfect to get you started, and I started with a 15 watter also. Mine was not solid state and it was a Crate, and it sounded fine. But that Vox that you mention runs for $119 on Musicians Friend, so that's a pretty good deal, and they have great reviews. I think that would be a good buy as long as you are not playing with a drummer :)

Hey Jim,

Yes this guitar is perfect to get you started, and I started with a 15 watter also. Mine was not solid state and it was a Crate, and it sounded fine. But that Vox that you mention runs for $119 on Musicians Friend, so that's a pretty good deal, and they have great reviews. I think that would be a good buy as long as you are not playing with a drummer :)

Yeah, I don't think that there is any "danger" of me playing with a drummer anytime soon. [wink]

Thanks again for all your advice.

Jim

Okay, I pulled the trigger and ordered the guitar. I also had to select an alternate gift in case they don't have the guitar. I am going to be really ticked if they don't have it. Oh well, if they don't I will get a 19" LCD TV with a built-in DVD player. Not the greatest, but again it's free.

I'll let you know which one shows up in 12-14 days! The suspense is already killing me. [rolleyes]

Jim

Archived