Gibson Brands Forums

I May Have A Chance To Play The 1st Gibson I Ever Owned

zombywoof

While it is only on the drawing board, there is a chance that next summer there is going to be a reunion of a bunch of us who played in local bands in the 1960s. My first gig was in 1966 and while I spent the bulk of the night on electric I did play an acoustic on a few numbers - a late 1930s Gibson L-00. In the early 1970s I gave the guitar to my then girlfriend who could sing and play the blues like nobody's business. Apparently she has said she will be there if the thing comes off. Best part, she still has the flippin' guitar and will bring it. If there is any chance at all that I can get the guitar back from her I am going to go for it.

We parted many years ago on good terms. Pretty much she just got tired of me being away with the band and wanted me to hang around and form a band with her. I did gig with her every once in a while but was not about to get involved in a band with someone with whom I was having a relationship with. But she really was a great singer and could play a heck of a piano rag on that small Gibson.

Somewhere I heard that somewhere 'possesion is nine points of the law' converges with 'statute of limitations'. I think your xgf had the Gibby longer than you and would not give it up.

Good point.

Short story along those lines: My '64 LG-1 was bought for my brother, when he was 8 and I was 7. While he took lessons for the six months or so, I learned his chord charts and the songs from the songbook they gave him. He lost interest later that first year, but I never did. For years and years, I had to ask his permission to use it (which he always gave, except when he was mad one time for snitching on him about something), but at some point, it was acknowledged between us that the guitar had become mine, and it went with me to college and beyond.

I love my brother, and we have always been on the best of terms, but we live 1000 miles apart. If he ever asked for it back, I'd die laughing and, I hope, so would he.

But...there WERE times over the years when I almost returned it to him...as a gift-a 'thank you'--a recognition of what it meant to me throughout the years and of our shared memories.

Advice? Don't ask her for it, but make it clear what it meant and still means to you, how it is part of your shared history, etc.

And, if you don't already know it, learn Neil Young's This Old Guitar ("This old guitar ain't mine to keep, just taking care of it now...") and play it for her--FIRST THING!--when you get that guitar in your hands.

If she's anything like me, she'll give you that baby back in a heart beat, and the gift will be as much hers as yours. Full circle, baby!

Good luck!

Dear AnneS - I loved every line you wrote.

the StriNg

Thanks... [blush]

Over the weekend, I sent a link to this very brother so he could listen to some originals of mine, and included in his very sweet reply was "I'm glad I let you have my guitar."

And he has no idea that I'd just been remembering out loud about all that, right here on this forum!

A quiet satisfaction is the very best kind...

Archived