Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
arbucc91

byrdland static

I purchaced a new Gibson Byrdland recently but I am having a problem with it during live gigs. When I use it with my Fender valve amp it seems to develope a static charge which discharges with a crackle when I move. It doesn't happen when I use solid state amps, nor does it happen when I use one of my other Gibson archtops with the Fender amp. The earth wire is definately connected to the tailpiece which first on my check list. Anyone have any ideas?

I had crackles from my Fender DeLuxe VM, not specific to any guitar, archtop or solid. Worth talking to the dealer in case he has an idea...I assume clothing, shoe soles etc have been considered.

It sounds like you are producing a static charge. Very similar to when you are

going down a hallway with carpet. You build an electrical charge in your body and in effect you (you body) becomes a capacitor.

You touch the light switch and ZAP you discharge the electrical energy through the electrically grounded system present at the switch.

Consider what type of clothing you are wearing such as nylon, polyester etc. Perhaps you are building

a static charge as you are strumming the guitar i.e. the interaction of your hand or a piece of clothing across the pick guard. Perhaps your shirt is

the culprit as you may be building a static charge from the interaction across the back of the guitar. Try wearing cotton.

You could purchase a static wrist band similar to those used for computers that will discharge any energy you start to build up or already

have built up.

Can't say I've ever experienced that with my Byrdland.

Is there any chance that it is the input jack? Maybe take it off and make sure that everything is tight in there. Maybe when you move the cord becomes slightly less secure?

But if it isn't happening when you use other amps....then this probably isn't the problem. But I suppose it's worth a look.

I used to have this with my SG and Fender Deluxe Reverb RI. When not playing and making movements like bending over or twisting I used to get the occasional crack or pop. Never figured it out and I don't play that rig anymore.

Not sure what this adds to the conversation. Just saying I know what you're talking about.

Just a heads up to check on. - - If you don't have the pickguard on your guitar, skip the following. - - The pickguard could be part of the problem. I've got a similar guitar (Guild X-700) and I've noticed my body picks up a static charge from my fingers rubbing the pickguard when I play. I figured it out from the same symptom you have - crackling through the amp, but not all amps. Now I try to avoid those amps that allow the charge to come through. I heard from a guy about using a dryer sheet (softner/anti-static). So I tried taping one under the pickguard - it works, but its a pain in @ss. One of these days I'm gonna try a different pickguard.