Gibson Brands Forums

How To Intonate a Wrap Tail?

dkbemb10

I have a Gibson 1960 Les Paul Double Cutaway Reissue and it comes with a wraptail. My concern is that should it need intonated that I can't figure out how you would do it? I can already tell it's gonna need a slight neck adjustment so I'm sure that will screw up the intonation so I don't wanna do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I've usually replaced them with ones that can be adjusted.

Here's a reasonably cheap one:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_non-trem_tailpieces/Adjustable_Wraparound_Bridge.html

Throw the old original in your case so you can put it back on if you sell it. It's a reversible hardware swap.

+1

Good call by Cabba. If you look at StewMac, there's two or three different types of intonable wrap stops.

The wrap-around bridge angle can be adjusted by the set screws against the posts. Start off by setting the angle for spot-on intonation on the A & B (2nd & 5th) strings. Check the others and make further adjustment as needed. You'll eventually find THE spot.

I'm sure the "lightning bolt" on the top of these bridges has been changed for a plain 3rd string. The originals were zig-zagged for a wound 3rd and you couldn't even get close with a plain 3rd. There was nothing else to do except replace those, I'm sure you can keep yours intonated just fine.

By replacing the solid wrap-around with an adjustable saddle bridge you lose the (inferred) sustain advantage of the solid wrap-around bridge.

The wrap-around bridge angle can be adjusted by the set screws against the posts. Start off by setting the angle for spot-on intonation on the A & B (2nd & 5th) strings. Check the others and make further adjustment as needed. You'll eventually find THE spot. ...

Maybe close enough. Maybe not.

If so, there would've never been a reason to move away from the stamped wrap bridge.

Getting the intonation correct is why there was a move to adjustable saddles.

The two screws behind the posts will help you set the intonation. It may be tough to get the intonation exact on every string and fret but you should be able to get close enough (for rock n roll!)

+1. Dont fool around with that adjustable thing from Stewmac. Close enough for rock n roll indeed.

Archived