Gibson Brands Forums

Rush Concert

cookieman15061

Spent last evening at the Rush concert here in Pittsburgh. Great show and a virtuoso performance from all members of the band.

Lifeson played 4 maybe 5 different Les Pauls all with Floyd Rose Trems, a PRS. a 52 Tele and saved his white Gibby 355 for the encore.

I don't think I ever witnessed so much air drumming in my life. lol

rushshow.jpg

Cool!

Yeah Jeez... I saw Rush in 1982 on the Moving Pictures tour.

[unsure]

I remember being very impressed with the precision of it all, never heard a bum note or missed cue.

Even with my hatred of synths, it was a very good performance - the only kind Rush does from what I gather.

Dozens and dozens of shows I've seen over the years, I don't think anybody ever approached the complexity/perfection factor.

A guy at work told me once that Tool was even better, he was quickly smacked down by half a dozen others who've seen both...

[scared][blink][crying][-(

B)

Hahaha

My brother and I were just kinda touring the new arena about 45 minutes before the show then went and got some grub before the lights went down. It ended being close to a sellout.

That's ONE concert I have not been to yet..... I'd love to see Rush before they get too old... [unsure]

Cool!

[unsure]

I remember being very impressed with the precision of it all, never heard a bum note or missed cue.

Even with my hatred of synths, it was a very good performance - the only kind Rush does from what I gather.

Dozens and dozens of shows I've seen over the years, I don't think anybody ever approached the complexity/perfection factor.

A guy at work told me once that Tool was even better, he was quickly smacked down by half a dozen others who've seen both...

B)

Yeah they're doing the whole Moving Pictures album start to finish right after a short intermission. Plus they do some hilarious videos with the band playing all these different characters thats shown pre, mid and post concert on the huge vid screen. It's cool that they don't take themselves too serious.

They still got the chops.

The only part that didn't work for me was a reggae tinged version of Working Man that just never hit its stride.

Yeah, I love Rush but I've got to admit I could never get into the reworked "Working Man." It's a classic, and I don't really believe they've improved it with the way they're doing it now.

There's a new documentary out this year, very well done.

Called Beyond The Lighted Stage, it's good for long-time fans, newbies, or even passersby like me.

I was trying to explain to Mrs. Neo the other day, Rush is an odd band for me;

I've always liked their music okay, but only a few of their songs really reach out and grab me.

I've always admired the musicianship though I hate synths, click tracks and Geddy's voice.

I've always admired their continual creativity, though some of their songs kinda suck and I've only bothered to see them once.

Here's a quick review of the documentary -

For fans of the legendary Canadian band RUSH, this is the documentary to experience.

A comprehensive exploration of the entire history of this extraordinary power trio, from their

early days growing up in Toronto, through each of their landmark albums, to the present day.

Sit back and revel in the words, music, and wonder of Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart.

With a career spanning four decades, RUSH is one of the most successful bands in the history of

popular music, but despite their remarkable career achievements, they have never been recognized

as critics' darlings.

Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn instead revel in interviews with the band's admirers and

contemporaries, including Gene Simmons (Kiss), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Sebastian Bach

(Skid Row), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Jack Black, and others.

Chock-full of rare backstage and concert footage, RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage leaves no stone

unturned in its creation of an intimate portrait of these immensely talented and iconoclastic musicians.

I got the chance to see Beyond The Lighted Stage in a practically-empty NYC movie theater. All I can say about it is that it is a very, very good movie. It's especially interesting to be able to check out the unique conflagration of influences that makes Rush such a remarkable band, and it was also great to hear some archived music from the earlier days of their career ("Garden Road," for instance, is a great song which never made it onto a studio album) and to see some great old photos of the guys. The three members, as can be seen from the footage of them, are extremely clever, creative and ever humble, and I think that they're especially endearing personalities. Alex Lifeson is downright hilarious.

5/5

The only part that didn't work for me was a reggae tinged version of Working Man that just never hit its stride.

I liked it. I thought it was something different. Just like roll the bones. pretty much anything RUSH could do wouldn't upset me. I liked this tour way better than the snakes and arrows. they felt more loose I could see why thow, S&A is a dark album. and they were promoting it. I hope they come ack to St. louis, they usually do.

it was funny I have never heard of a band called kings of leon, but at the Ampetheatre, A pigeon crapped on one of the band members and they stopped the show! [confused] So, at the Rush concert, ged goes "this is the place where that bird crapped on that guy right? (crowd cheering) ya, well, no matter how many times a bird shits on him (points to Alex) we arent stoppin the show!!" starts limelight.. alex and neil are lughing halfway through the song. [laugh][lol]

FOR THOSE GOING TO THE CONCERT DO NOT WATCH FOR THOSE WHO HAVE.........................

go ahead. [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_cII1XHwI

[lol]

I think they are finally getting their deserved place in the history of rock. How many bands from the 70s are still making albums and still selling out wherever they go, plus doing it their way against all the naysayers and critics? If you watch the documentary you'll see that after Caress of Steel they were told to write more singles. Instead they did the complete opposite and even stated they would rather leave music altogether than be told what to do. Of course 2112 was a huge success.

They simply cannot be ignored anymore! Some of their fans have attained great success and will ensure they finally are placed among the gods of rock. Love or hate 'em, you gotta to respect their tenacity. For me, they will always be my favorite...

Cool!

[unsure]

B)

I would take Tool over Rush any day but I have personally witnessed Tool have a bit of an off night so I concur, but I have seen them be spot on at another time. Have never seen Rush, don’t plan to, just not my bag baby but I bet they are great if you are a fan.

When I was a younger I had many friends that were big Rush fans so I knew most of there stuff just through association. Like many who dis the band I had major problems with Geds vocals. I loved what they were doing musically but his singing drove me nuts.

I've mellowed on this issue and come to except his voice as part of their sound. lol

I give em credit they worked their tales off and formed a very loyal fan base although they even make fun of the lack of females at their shows.

As far as Kings of Leon goes, bought one of their CDs and before it was over threw it out of the car window.

When I was a younger I had many friends that were big Rush fans

Yeah, that's the best way to describe it for me too.

I knew most of their stuff through heavy radio play, and association for the rest.

And it was funny - out cruising around or at a party, one of these guys would always insist that somebody put on some Rush.

Chicks couldn't stand it, and before long most of the guys were tired of it too.

There's always two guys air-guitaring/drumming in a semi-transcendent state...

As far as Kings of Leon goes, WTF is "Sex On Fire?"

It's been years since a generic, benign "pop/rock" song got under my skin like that one.

And Steve Winwood should sue them over the vocals... :blink:

Yeah, that's the best way to describe it for me too.

I knew most of their stuff through heavy radio play, and association for the rest.

And it was funny - out cruising around or at a party, one of these guys would always insist that somebody put on some Rush.

Chicks couldn't stand it, and before long most of the guys were tired of it too.

There's always two guys air-guitaring/drumming in a semi-transcendent state...

As far as Kings of Leon goes, WTF is "Sex On Fire?"

It's been years since a generic, benign "pop/rock" song got under my skin like that one.

And Steve Winwood should sue them over the vocals... :blink:

What!?!?! “Sex On Fire” is like audio intercourse, check out the lyrics and tell me it’s not hot. It falls behind only Pink’s song “Oh My God” and Prince’s entire catalog as one of the hottest back seat songs in history. With all due respect your forum elderness of course.

Archived