Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite tone woods????

onewilyfool

Adi and hog. Although my buddy just picked up a 2010 AJ (Sitka and Rosewood) and it sounds sooooooo sweet with that 25.5" scale. By the way Bailey Brothers in Birmingham (U.S.) treated him really nice!! They gave him a great deal!

Got me a birch body with spruce top - a wicked little slide guitar - love it

A laminate maple body with spruce top - moves alot of air and is full and round sounding - love it

Also a spruce top and mahogany body - punchy and quick with a peanut butter smooth response - love it

Then there is an adi top with a mahogany body - put a set of Black Diamond strings on her and she will ring till Kingdom Come - love it

So I guess I don't care so will will go with:

U.S. Steel

Having only ever owned 1 high end acoustic, I'd have to tick the spruce over rosewood box. My SWD is brilliant.

But I love the look, sound and feel of maple. My Tak 12er is spruce over maple although having a piano black finish, you wouldn't know by sight. I recently played an SJ200 Elite in maple which completely blew me away.

I can look at the maple neck on my strat for quite a while before realising it's an odd thing to do.

Must have grown up in a hammock between a rosewood and a tall spruce tree, since all the first guitars I played were from these two*. Not untill much, much later (only last year) circumstances of the journey shifted when a different path presented itself. 'Forest of Mahogany' said the sign and what could I do. Had to follow the path and see what happened. Naturally a variety of Gibsons were met : J-45's of all ages, nice old SJ's and floks of multicoloured H-birds, to mention a few. Also a Taylor 510 Lemon Grove and even a Martin appeared on the way. And yes, they were - as rumour told - mellower, sweeter, slightly quieter, more tender and frail (I even hear hog-wood make tiny bubbles !). The change was good. It lifted and inspired. Challenged my ears and fingertips. Still the general situation of mine demanded a major choice. Having started a co-work with a local luthier in December, and drawn him the lines of an acoustic 6-string, woods now had to be decided. He had been creating in both hog and rose and showed me examples of his former results. I tried, , , and tried again - then went for the latter. Don't know, but something in me didn't dare go hog, neither tempting ceder. So there I was - back in the hammock swinging my way through a patient summer. Should be said I played Gibsons every single day while waiting. In fact I still wait, but my new homedrawn should be ready this week. Wiiild, what will it sound like, we don't know. Haven't got a clue, but it's based on a Mart. 12-fret so maybe. . . .

Now that you ask wilyfool, check out the brazilian - others are highly wellcome too (the chalk lines are factory standards).

And then a quiz : Can anybody tell the three albums seen in the sofa-landscape ???

* okay, apart from those 2 late70'ties Norlins -

post-15602-075767500 1285021819_thumb.jpg

My humble opinion is that blindfolded, I am guessing most folks would not be able to tell a guitar with a rosewood body from one with a mahogany or maple back and sides never mind something like a guitar with a walnut neck as opposed to one with a mahogany neck. I have been playing some 50 years and I sure as heck can't.

Id give it a go ... assuming the top was spruce and same body type i reckon i could pick mahogany, rosewood and maple b/s. They each have a pretty specfic characteristic thats quite easy to identify. Thats why i normally play out with a hog and r/wood guitar, for significantly different tone.

My humble opinion is that blindfolded, I am guessing most folks would not be able to tell a guitar with a rosewood body from one with a mahogany or maple back and sides never mind something like a guitar with a walnut neck as opposed to one with a mahogany neck. I have been playing some 50 years and I sure as heck can't.

While I would love to say this isn't true of myself, you are probably right!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear zombywoof - If you are a player in the vein of your sub-quote "I play so rough - I stomp 'em - I don't peddle 'em" there might be an explanation.

But why on earth go Gibson - why go mahogany or SJ, if you can't tell the difference. Have a look, these might work as some guidance.

Best to you. . .

post-15602-080630300 1286028088_thumb.jpg

post-15602-031764000 1286028113_thumb.jpg

Archived