Gibson Brands Forums

Great post on another forum.......

vourot

Strat is a much more sensible design.

Everytime I hear people talking sh!t about 'em I just let 'em play the fool...

Flip side - I will NEVER understand the "Relic" bullsh!t.

Build the guitar to the same spec, and then SHIP IT BEFORE SOMEBODY FxxKS IT UP!!!

"So, how much extra did you pay for your guitar to look like sh!t?"

Heck, I have 3 Strats and a darn nice Tele.

I would own about six more Telecasters if I had the cash laying around...

But yeah, there's a whole lot more to love in the Wonderful World of Gibson.

I can count probably 25 of them that I would love to have in addition to the six I have right now.

I really want a Strat... and a tele. I might just get matching ones (MIM)

Neo- have you ever played a road worn strat? I hated them, until one guy at SamAsh told me to seriously look at one. I hate the way they look, but to me, they sound better than an American one and feel a billion times better. I think I might just get a body and try and make it fit with the neck I have from my MIJ, or just re route the body

Don't "damage" a perfectly good body, there are too many parts out there instead.

Especially a MIJ guitar, seems a shame to alter one that will always be worth money until you screw it up.

As for the Road Worn, Faded, VOS, Relic, Satin, Highway One, American Special stuff - I'll admit there are some really nice guitars.

I won't own one.

The necks on my two home-built Strats came from Highway Ones, and I love 'em for the cosmetic appeal of the big headstock.

Other than that, they are simply an American Standard neck with the Modified C profile.

My previous statement stands.

Build a damned nice guitar, and then DON'T FxCK IT UP!

Why does it have to look like sh!t and cost twice as much money?

I can't think of another product ('cept maybe blue jeans from the mall) that succeed with that business model.

I can assure you that the Jaguar XJ-8 Mrs. Neo is craving won't have a single scratch on it.

Just like my guitars from the fifties or sixties...

Geez.

Long winded.

The guy sounds like a virgin that just had his first. [flapper]

Thats what i thought. [lol]

No but ive played some high end relic fenders, they felt really nice.

If i a choice between a normal customshop and a relic i might just get the relic for the feel of it.

Would you buy brand new ZR1 Corvette (list price over $100k) for $250,000 because it was all fxcked up?

I mean, if the seats are ripped, they might be more comfortable.

If the paint was missing over half the car, yours would be easy to spot at the shopping mall.

If the engine was knocking a little, you could consider it "broken in" and ignore the oil leaks.

And remember, a brand new one off the assembly line would be perfect - and cost a lot less...

Just sayin'.... :unsure:

If you're still unsure, check 'em out yerself;

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/

Would you buy brand new ZR1 Corvette (list price over $100k) for $250,000 because it was all fxcked up?

I mean, if the seats are ripped, they might be more comfortable.

If the paint was missing over half the car, your would be easy to spot at the shopping mall.

If the engine was knocking a little, you could consider it "broken in" and ignore the oil leaks.

And remember, a brand new one off the assembly line would be perfect - and cost a lot less...

Just sayin'.... :unsure:

Theres a difference. [lol]

If i owned a old...ferrari 166 that was beat up and the paint was coming off and then i got into a car accident and lost it, lets say that.

Now lets say i found a other 166 thats just like mine and beat up and feels like the 166 i lost.

Now it would cost the same as a new Ferrari, i would take the old one cause it brings back memories and it feels like heaven.

Now that might be someones situation to an old 60/50's fender they had and they bought a relic.

I've played a few, held a few more, and drooled on a lot of vintage guitars.

For me, condition is everything.

I would pay a tidy sum of money for a vintage guitar in excellent, well-preserved, original condition.

I've had the opportunity to "save" a bundle of money and buy some rough vintage guitars.

Not gonna do it.

My 1976 Explorer is in the worst condition of any used guitar I've ever bought, and it looks damned good 10 feet away.

I know I'm the odd man out in the guitar market, and I'm okay with that.

The "relic" guys can buy the pieces of sh!t nobody would have touched 10 years ago, and I don't care how much they pay.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Strats. Love how they look, love how they play, I just cant seemingly make them

sound like I want them to. Always had an easier and much more satisfying time with 'Teles. I really think it boils down to the bridge

pickup. IMHO, the weakest point about a Stratocaster, but its where I live most of the time.

Blend the Bridge/Middle?

That's where the biggest sound difference is between the Strat and Tele, and where I spend 90% of my time.

Yeah that IS such a cool sound on a 'Strat, I always feel like that's totally somebody else's sound. I always wanna rip off

Mark Knopfler or Richard Thompson with that sound!

I don't understand the "relic" thing either. Now buying a real vintage piece that looked like that is one thing, buying a brand new guitar that looks that way, not me. My first wife asked me during the heyday of SRV why me old Strat didn't look like his, I told her that if I ever "abused" any of my guitars to the point it looked like his, she should shoot me.

I can understand the appeal of a "different" guitar compared to what one is more familiar with playing. Frankly I think a different feel and neck can make a big difference in how you approach the instrument and how you play.

Personally I've never cared for Fender necks. Period. I like the Tele sound but ... until I could find one with a more Gibson-like neck, no thanks.

But here's a funny one. I got a great price tag on a technically "wasted" Epi EA from MF. It's a cheapie in a "package" with a non-working amp. The guitar was virtually perfect as far as I can see. New strings and it's a perfect '30s-'50s folkie/bluesie fingerpicker. I'm doing stuff differently than I did two weeks ago.

So back to paragraph #1... I can understand the appeal. Just not with a Fender neck. <grin>

m

Milod you should check out the 52 hotrod Tele. I have mixed feelings about the humbucker but the neck is the best I've ever felt on a Fender. It's very Gibson like.

If I found one of those same necks for a good price and it would fit my Tele I would definately put it on. The neck on my Tele is great but not nearly as good as my SG.

If I could get 60 percent of the sound Roy Buchanan got on Misty, and a more Gibsonesque neck... Alas... OTOH, I keep wondering about adding a Tele bridge pickup on an inexpensive Epi solidbody. <grin>

Finances are such that I'm not up for another guitar this year. Darn it. I'd not care to get a guitar without playing it and I don't travel much any more unless I'm paid. So... we'll see what happens.

m

Flip side - I will NEVER understand the "Relic" bullsh!t.

Build the guitar to the same spec, and then SHIP IT BEFORE SOMEBODY FxxKS IT UP!!!

"So, how much extra did you pay for your guitar to look like sh!t?"

+1000. I'll put my own dings and scratches on my new guitar thank you very much!

I like the rosewood neck. But not the maple.

I've played a couple of 'Squire' strats that feel just the same as the Fender.

It's all down to set up. Fender's are very basic guitars.

All the stuff I read on this site about wood and pick ups etc is 'tosh'.

A lot of it is in the mind. If a pick up is less powerful..turn the amp up.

The 'True' sound of a guitar is from the hands not from a vos finish.

Archived