Gibson Brands Forums

Do you actually want to learn the theory and stuff?

Naradien

Hey guys, I have a question..When you learn guitar(from anywhere), do you want to learn the theory and stuff? Or do you just take tabs and stuff to the teacher (or whatever) and play em, and let your guitar rip? I think that the theory and stuff is sort of boring eusa_doh.gif

Yea theory is key...no pun intended..

I am like silverbusted, I have to know why...at least the basics.

If you are playing tabs and want to get straight to playing I'd say you don't need lessons from a teacher.

You kidding? Theory is for real musicians, not guitar players. Stick to tab and let it rip, bro.

(This would be sarcasm, btw Naradien. Sarcasm is kinda like music theory: it's subtle but really helpful to know!) eusa_drool.gif

college has music theory classes

but reading guitar off sheet music

=P~ =P~ [-X

sheet music is for piano or trumpet

(i played both)

tabs are the correct way to learn how to play something on guitar

if you are too lazy to sit down and figure it all out

No, you don't have to learn the theory if all you want to do is cover other folks stuff. Tab is fine for that.

If you ever want to compose, then you should consider learning some theory. Makes it a lot easier.

If all you want to do is play in your living room or basement, you don't even need to know chords =P~.

An understanding of theory is a huge plus .

I REFUSE TO USE TABLETURE.... ](*[-( [-(

[/quote']

+1

I hate using tab. I know this is just me, but whenever I see a song transcribed in TAB form, I think that it's made for stupid musicians. I know that what I said is offensive, but we already created a fool-proof way how to read music, and it can be transposed into other different instruments (treble clef works not only for guitar, but for voice, piano, etc., while TAB is only for guitar and bass.) Also, theory really works its magic if you ever teach. It'll explain WHY you're doing what you're doing.

Larry you are a man after my heart ... I'm stealing your line ' date=' thanks .[/quote']

In that case, allow me to do a little rewrite. I think this flows better:

"Few have benfitted from ignorance, many have benefitted from knowledge".

The word "education" has the connotation of formal studies. A whole lot can be learned from experience and the school of hard knocks. As with anything, it doesn't matter whether you learn it from a teacher or on the street, as long as the lesson is learned.

You can kind of break theory into sections. There's basic chord theory, and then there's reading music, all the scales and modes and stuff.

Chord theory (based on the major scale) can get you at least halfway there, without needing to read music.

I took lessons, because I am not a natural musician. I have friends who pick up a guitar and the coolest stuff comes out, by accident. They can play any song they've ever heard, without even knowing for sure what key its in. This drives me crazy. I sweat blood for everything. But chord theory is all I have, and it's worked well enough that I've never pushed through the "pain" of learning more.

I would *like* to learn theory (I have a basic knowledge) but, after playing for over 25 years with only two or three years of lessons early on, I feel like an old dog and don't think I would have the time or patience to learn at this point.

Theory. Hands-down.

It may seem boring, but most of the elite guitar players that we all idolize tend to know a heck of a lot of theory (more than we realize and more than they care to admit). It's not all about just "ripping," becoming famous, getting rich, and playing on stage at MSG one day. At the end of the day, to be successful at composition, you'll need to learn some theory.

Also, while I agree that tabs are extremely crude, I also think that they are a necessary evil. Within minutes, you can find the tab to just about any song on the internet. It makes learning new music very quick and easy... (which, by the way is easier if you understand theory).

I took lessons as a kid then quit, learned how to read music pretty well and how to play music I had no interest in. I picked up guitar again at 18, learned the basics from friends and tabs and am having way more fun with it. I can't read a note anymore and feel I am better than I was. I hardly consider myself a musician, but I do consider myself a guitar player. Am I great? Not at all, but I feel I'm halfway decent and most importantly, I enjoy myself. I have the utmost respect for musicians and people who are better than I am, but I'd rather learn how to play songs I like and write some music and have fun with it than frustrate myself trying to relearn the theory and stuff I used to know.

Back in my day I made a goodly pile of cash working as a studio musician. Had I not known theory (since half the time we didn't have a clue what we were going to play & almost none of it was charted out) I would have never been called back a 2nd time.

Archived