Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne Fans

albertjohn

I have to confess............

I have no Jackson Browne in my music collection, whatsoever.

One of his gigs was recently on TV and I really liked it. There's about 2 songs I can recognise on the radio.

So, any recommendations? (I note from his website he has a double cd "Best Of")

"The Pretender" & "Late for the Sky" are my favourite albums.

I bought "The Next Voice You Hear" a 15 song best offrom itunes. I've been listening to it on and off in the car over the last couple of days.

I'm really bad at listening to new (to me) music and have to be familiar with songs before I can start to pick things out and decide what I like and don't like. Still at that stage.

As for learning a few, there are possibilities eg The Barricade Of Heaven.

What I have instantly noticed is the slide/lap steel/lead work on several of the songs. Presumably David Lindley. I had not heard of him before but he is fantastic!

Presumably David Lindley. I had not heard of him before but he is fantastic!

A good step for you - Once heard Lindley live with Crosby and Nash. Recall the pedal-work and an outstanding fiddlesolo. The man is a wizard (and known for some corny outfits, I think).

As fate would have it, while writing a cover story for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, I've been semi-embedded with Jackson on his current tour. I spent a day with him in CT, 2 in NYC, and a day in Milwaukee. Trading guitars backstage with Jackson and David Lindley has been an unbelievably fun experience.

I've been able to play the 25-30 guitars he has with him on the road. My faves have been his two vintage Roy Smeck Stage Deluxes.

As for recordings, I recommend the latest 2-CD live, acoustic set, "Love is strange." Recorded in Spain with David Lindley, it's a really good retrospective of his career and beautifully recorded.

As fate would have it, while writing a cover story for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, I've been semi-embedded with Jackson on his current tour.

Must have been an intriguing experience. And a great chance to learn some 'fifs'. (After all they reside in the tallest lounge). Could you f.x. tell us the string filosofy of Mister Browne himself, , , and do they warm up ? ?

As fate would have it, while writing a cover story for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, I've been semi-embedded with Jackson on his current tour. I spent a day with him in CT, 2 in NYC, and a day in Milwaukee. Trading guitars backstage with Jackson and David Lindley has been an unbelievably fun experience.

I've been able to play the 25-30 guitars he has with him on the road. My faves have been his two vintage Roy Smeck Stage Deluxes.

As for recordings, I recommend the latest 2-CD live, acoustic set, "Love is strange." Recorded in Spain with David Lindley, it's a really good retrospective of his career and beautifully recorded.

Wow. This must be a fascinating project.

Please tells JB and DL from a new fan that their music is great. I've been amazed by the response to this thread and very pleased I started it.

The acoustic albums sound like an essential addition to my collection and if I carry on like this, I'm going to be seriously gassing for a Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe before long.

As fate would have it, while writing a cover story for an upcoming issue of Fretboard Journal, ...

... As for recordings, I recommend the latest 2-CD live, acoustic set, "Love is strange." ...

JT - you get involved in the most interesting projects.

You've got to fill us in - the fall issue, right? Can you give us a general idea of what the subject matter is?

Thanks for the recommendation - I'm makin' a move on it. B)

Thank, folks. It has been fascinating!

As for timing, probably the spring issue. I've got one more session with Jackson and I need to complete my chat with David, too. Then, there are the viewing and deciding re. the tons of photographs taken by my photographers.

The scope is pretty simple: guitars. My approach, though, is, I hope, unique: we're chatting while we have the guitars in hand. So, what this guitar is suited for, why this tuning, why these strings, why this pickup, etc.

It has been one of the most interesting, educational, and enjoyable experiences of my life.

Archived