Gibson Brands Forums

Joni Mitchell

E-minor7

Her first LP really floored me (it is still me favorite). The first time I got to see her was with Arlo Guthrie at the Schafer Music Fest in NYC in 1968. I liked her so much I went to see her someplace else a few weeks later - maybe the Bitter End or someplace like that.

I do not recall what guitat she played as I did not give a hoot what guitar whomever was using back then so never paid attention but I associate her with Martin dreads. With Joni it was always more about the tunings she used.

You saw her in 1968, , , twice ! ! !

That's something extraordinary. I won't even set a metaphore on it. In my mind you placed yourself in the zenit - not only of 60'ties beatmusic - but of western culture as a whole. Yes, I'm serious.

Remember any details ? , , , songs, funny little exchanges with the audience, whatever. . . (was Crosby present)

Joni Mitchell has never quite gotten over the first guitar she loved and lost: a '56 Martin D-28 she got circa 1966 from a Marine captain stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The guitar had accompanied him to Vietnam and was in his tent when it was hit with shrapnel. "There were two instruments and all this captain's stuff in there," Mitchell says. "When they cleared the wreckage, all that survived was this guitar. I don't know whether the explosion did something to the modules in the wood, but that guitar was a trooper, man." End of quote.

Thanks - Collins, aha (don't really know that brand), and then the mandolincello. Guess she sits there sending a whirlwind through it.

Seeing Joni as well as folks like Tim Buckley and the Fugs is one of the advantages of being a geezer I guess.

I do recall there was alot of buzz on the streets about Joni Mitchell because she had been doing gigs at the Bitter End all summer. I also recall that I and lots of folks who had not yet seen her perform had never heard her do "Both Sides Now" because that LP had not yet come out. But we had heard Judy Collin's version. When Joni was getting ready to play that tune she thanked Judy Collins for covering the song in her introduction.

Can't tell you if Crosby was there or not.

Earliest pic I seen was of her and her first husband, ___ Mitchell.

I believe it was Chuck. There was a Chuck Mitchell who used to play the college coffee house circuit, and he claimed to have given Joni her name. I went to see him every chance I got, just to hear "The Dutchman" (Steve Goodman's song). There are a couple of fine versions of that song out there these days, but what I wouldn't give to hear Chuck Mitchell do it again...

"Long ago, I used to be a young man. Dear Margaret remembers that for me..."

Her first LP really floored me (it is still me favorite). The first time I got to see her was with Arlo Guthrie at the Schafer Music Fest in NYC in 1968. I liked her so much I went to see her someplace else a few weeks later - maybe the Bitter End or someplace like that.

I do not recall what guitat she played as I did not give a hoot what guitar whomever was using back then so never paid attention but I associate her with Martin dreads. With Joni it was always more about the tunings she used.

Found out she played 2 shows at The Schaefer Music festival 14'th Aug. 68 and 6 times 2 sets at The Bitter End during October. Neil Young opening for her on the 28'th. ! (It's more or less the period they put my SJ together in Kalamazoo.)

Archived