Gibson Brands Forums

Does Gibson offer Plek as a service?

MarkHolbrook

Hi All,

I own a robot which plays "ok"... I bought it before I heard much about plek and I have to admit the Les Paul my friend just bought with Plek plays one heck of a lot better than my robot.

So I'm wondering what my options are to get my robot to have a cleaner, lower, better action. On the Les Paul with Plek I notice how easy it is to play and how there is no problem at any fret as well as the age old test of can you change the tuning by pressing hard with the fingers. On his Pleked guitar, just barely... But I mean during normal play its great. My robot using the exact same strings it is like I can do a pitch blend on certain chords... I don't have perfect pitch but this bugs me.

So I'm looking to get my robot to play much more like his pleked guitar. Does Gibson offer that as a send back service? Or am I better off to find a good luthier and have them give it the royal treatment. My final option would be to sell and replace the robot with a pleked guitar like my buddies. But frankly the economy and $$$ don't really warrant that option.

Any thoughts welcome!

Luthier

I think you're putting too much value into the plekness ( [biggrin] ) of your buddy's LP. What type of LP is it and please don't tell me it's a reissue? '58, '59, etc. Those have entirely different frets and comparing a Robot to a historic (no offence) is like comparing a Honda to a Mercedes. I also think that all USA LPs are plekd now. If the Robot is that black guitar in your avatar, it can't be too old.

Luthier

I think you're putting too much value into the plekness ( [biggrin] ) of your buddy's LP. What type of LP is it and please don't tell me it's a reissue? '58, '59, etc. Those have entirely different frets and comparing a Robot to a historic (no offence) is like comparing a Honda to a Mercedes. I also think that all USA LPs are plekd now. If the Robot is that black guitar in your avatar, it can't be too old.

LOL... His is a Les Paul standard. I cannot quote the exact model right now. (quick edit... from him: 2008 Gibson LP Standard Plus) His has the ribbing around the edges sort of like the customs. He just bought his about a month ago from GC. I've had my robot for a year and half. Not the original robot by any means.

Now about the value of plekness... well I've been playing for 45 years. Now that doesn't mean I'm all that great but what I do have is a good feel. I can tell when I like the feel of a fret board. To say that I know what I'm talking about would be a lie but when it comes to feel I can certainly tell the difference between his plekked LP and my robot in a BIG way.

When you get to my age, playing guitar is an enjoyment thing. I much enjoy playing his to my robot. That tells me something needs to be done.

So next question... how does one find a good luthier and verify that they are good?

I have a 2000 (pre-pleking) "Classic" LP (Honeyburst), that has...for

lack of a better description, "railroad tie/sharp edged" frets. I just

bought the '50's Tribute Studio (Gold Top), which IS pleked...and there

IS a world of difference, in the shape and feel, of the Tribute's frets.

No more "Speed bumps," with this one. Smooth, and much nicer, to play,

than my "Classic," even though I LOVE that guitar, as well. I WILL get

it pleked, for sure, now.

CB

So next question... how does one find a good luthier and verify that they are good?

I would say to just go to a music store (not GC) and ask them if they know of any good luthiers in the area.

I do like the asymmetric neck but mainly it is the action that I love.

A plek job is really just levelling the frets. You have given this Robot a set up, right...either by doing it yourself or giving it to a guitar tech? If you haven't, that's where you should start. It makes a world of difference.

I remember hearing that Gibson would plek a guitar. I don't remember the price?

Am I dreaming that, or did someone else hear that as well??

I may be completely wrong, but in the back of my mind, I think I recall reading here that Gibson would Plek a guitar for $300. Again, I may be wrong... I'd suggest simply calling them to inquire. But...

ETA: Yep, I was completely wrong. [laugh] Later in the thread, Gibson answers that it is not offered as an after sale service.

I do like the asymmetric neck but mainly it is the action that I love.

Have you gone into a store with a lot of stock and checked the feel of some of their guitars? I'd suggest you may find some feel great, while others do not (whether Pleked or not). And I'll second the thoughts on set up, that may be what yours is lacking (though again, some guitars will just "feel right", while others of the same make and model may not).

... set up, right ...

... And I'll second the thoughts on set up ...

Another for setup.

I have a 2nd run Robot SG LTD. I love the setup and it plays great - now . . . it needed a setup. I would guess a good setup would be less expensive the taking/shipping it somewhere for a plek job.

A fret level and dress will transform your guitar whether or not it's been factory plekked. A good luthier will ask around $200 for this job (California). I've had this done on four guitars and will probably do it on the Studio 50s Tribute I ordered if I ever get it and if I keep it. The guitar needs to settle for a while before the job is done.

A fret level and dress will transform your guitar whether or not it's been factory plekked. A good luthier will ask around $200 for this job (California). I've had this done on four guitars and will probably do it on the Studio 50s Tribute I ordered if I ever get it and if I keep it. The guitar needs to settle for a while before the job is done.

Really? You would do it on the 50's tribute? Without even trying it out, you can say that?

I think that's kinda jumping the gun so to say...

Unfortunately, Gibson doesn't offer a post-factory PLEK service. I would check the PLEK website. They should have a link to all of the luthiers that are currently set up with this capability: http://www.plek.com/en_US/home/

Thanx for sharing that. I thought, that Gibson DID plek guitars, but now I know that they don't..

I don't know why I thought Gibson did do that.. I mussy have read that somewhere wrong.dry.gif

I have an LP Standard that needed a fret leveling job. $150.00 including new strings and slotting the saddles of a new Tone Pros bridge. I also have a 335 that came factory Pleked. The LP plays as low and clean as the 335 and now...the 335 needs a fret leveling anyway. I would not even look for a Plek job on the 335. I'm just going to have the same guy level the frets.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brand new Traditional that came with a PLEK job and it still needs to go to a luthier for a good setup. Yes, it plays great, but the bridge and saddle are in a goofy looking position. They look like they're bent and ready to fall out. Don't put too much faith in any factory setup unless it's a custom model.

Archived