Gibson Brands Forums

most underated guitarist

hotshot9991

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The issue of subjectivity rears its ugly head in these threads.

I will agree with you on Brian May's noteworthy contribution to rock guitar, but he is NOT under-rated.

Ask anybody what they think about Brian May and you will get a thumb up.

I'm old enough to remember when each Queen album came out, and was eagerly devoured by EVERYBODY.

May gets his due respect in any circle.

Freddie Mercury, on the other hand, people had a bit of trouble with...

Dead and gone, he's now safely ranked as a legend.

In the early eighties he was largely regarded as a freak - immense talent notwithstanding.

I wonder if a term like "under recognized" would be better. I think "under rated" just means that their name doesn't come up in the "greatest" or "best" lists too often, but they are still great players. So, having said that few I would list are:

Elliot Easton

Andy Summers

Buck Dharma

You might care, 'cos I don't think he's underrated at all. I think he's the BOMB!! Always liked his style. I haven't hear anyone dis him, unless I've missed it in here... [sneaky]

Nooo...I didnt mean it like that. Of course he's awesome. Everyone knows he's awesome. I just dont know if he is necessarily underrated anymore. Not overrated though, by any means. That was the joke. Sorry for the vagueness.

I should probably go to bed. I've posted too much. Im getting goofy now. Friday night and all that.

Cheers!

I wonder if a term like "under recognized" would be better. I think "under rated" just means that their name doesn't come up in the "greatest" or "best" lists too often, but they are still great players. So, having said that few I would list are:

Elliot Easton

Andy Summers

Buck Dharma

Agreed!

Now just add Neil Giraldo (Pat Benatar's guitarist and husband) and thats a fine list.

The issue of subjectivity rears its ugly head in these threads.

I will agree with you on Brian May's noteworthy contribution to rock guitar, but he is NOT under-rated.

Ask anybody what they think about Brian May and you will get a thumb up.

I'm old enough to remember when each Queen album came out, and was eagerly devoured by EVERYBODY.

May gets his due respect in any circle.

Freddie Mercury, on the other hand, people had a bit of trouble with...

Dead and gone, he's now safely ranked as a legend.

In the early eighties he was largely regarded as a freak - immense talent notwithstanding.

Yes I agree

Brian is given due credit

But Freddie was a terrific keyboard man

With lots of good harmonic ideas

Together they were fantastic....

Archived