Gibson Brands Forums

Valve senior

Ti-Ti

I just recently got one. I think the quality and durability seem pretty good.

Not sure why there's not more talk about this amp. The tones are pretty good though the reverb is pretty much useless beyond a 1/4 on the dial. It looks to me that Epiphone is discontinuing this line because they are on clearance at the major web dealers.

They never have been showed on the regular web-site

http://epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=&CollectionID=13

only here...

http://www.epiphone.com/amplifiers/default.html

I once ordered the Valve Senior Combo

after some weeks of waiting I got me the BlackHeart Handsome Devil Combo

I noticed that. I wonder if they just had some manufacturing issues or what.

I'm still debating between this, the Blackheart HD or the JCA 20w combo. Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the Epiphone. The Jet City sounds a little more geared towards modern rock and the Blackheart sounds similar to the Epi but is $100 higher.

Over here the HD jumped up from 360 to 470 Euro the last few weeks.....

I think it is still worth the cash.

I don't miss the reverb, 'cause I use the Tonelab infront..

Just changed the stock tubes to better ones, got one 12AT7 for more clean headroom

that's it.

DSCI0709.jpg

The build-quality is very good

Wow, much beefier transformer than whats on VSr. About equal to the Jet City.

Thanks for the info. But why is it discontinuited ? Is there a design issue (the price is so low, even for chinese plant)

Tissan

Actually, it looks like all of the Epi amps are on clearance, even the venerable Valve Jr. So maybe a new line is coming out soon?

There is a design issue and its the reverb. But other than that, the amp has great tones so if you are not a big user of reverb or have a good pedal, you might try one.

Do you know what kind of issue with the reverb (pan, valve, passive components ...)?

Tissan

[cool]

I can't really explain it any better than brianh's thread. It just rings the note out for a long, long time. I think the conclusion was a circuit mod (adding some impedance) to the dwell circuit. I have seen a thread with a new tank vs the old and it does improve the reverb, just doesn't help the dwell. I saw another thread where someone tamed the dwell just by using a different tube, 12at7.

I've reviewed the schematic. In fact the reverb input circuit is not controled separately and only depends of "gain" pot. The R24 could be replaced by a pot and even if it not enough the 470K replaced by 680K or more, 12au7 can be considered as an alternative due to the lower gain. The power stage is strangely self biased with a 250 Ohms with 22µF in //. This cap is probably undervoltaged (idle at rougly 15-20V)and a lot of AC current, it should be replaced by 100V for instance.It's just a first look, no measurements done since I don't yet have the beast in my hands.

Tissan

• 4 months later...

I picked up a Valve Senior head yesterday, the last new one the store had in stock, for $299. If you found a deal on a used one, I'd suggest it'd be worth a look.

We had a gig last night, I thought it'd be a good test to try it for a couple of songs. I ended up using it for the whole night. It is louder than I expected (but I was running it through a 2x15 D130 JBL cab).

• 3 months later...

Archived