Gibson Brands Forums

The BFG Is Finished

elessar820

It looks almost finished now. Rewired to 2 volume, 2 tone, three way, added pickup ring and pickup cover and a matte black pickguard modded from a P90 Deluxe pickguard from WDMusic. I have a shiny black one too that I'm going to put on instead, the matte black was really for a test, but I'm off to work now... anyone want it?

lp-1.jpg

lp002.jpg

That looks great love the pick-guard I need to order one myself that's the p-90 pick-guard that you modded by cutting out the bridge pickup slot?

Was that the 54 or what model did you order? what does the matte look like I have the gloss black Studio BFG and want to install a pick guard just couldn't find one that fit never thought about the p-90 version!

very nice looking by the way good job

IMG_1763.jpg

Damn... I played a BFG last weekend and was impressed by it (tone, feel, wheight...) the only thing I couldnt get over was the aesthetics... and Im not talking the lack of finish, Im talking about the fact that it has no pickup rings, TRC, switch ring... and so on... What you have done to yours has made that BFG look very nice.

Why dont you go ahead and send Gibson those pics... they could really use them as guide for what the BFG should have been.

Now you got me thinking about going out and buying that BFG I played...

Thanks for the compliments, she's still the ugly girl among the bunch, but a little cosmetic surgery can do wonders huh? Let me answer some questions.

Retrosurfer, that is the matte black pickguard, I did that one first to test it out. I'm going to work on the gloss one later one. It is a Les Paul Deluxe pickguard from WD Music, you can get one here... a lot of color options. I used my razor knife to cut the plastic away and sanded it smooth. Someone in an earlier post mentioned a P90 pickguard, but the bridge cut out wasn't working, so I guess you need a pickup ring, which you already have.

Firebrand, I thought the creme color would look better on the gold too.

I like the look of covered pickups, the difference in tone is negligible to me. In this case, it gives it a more finished look and I really like the Burstbucker 3 a lot. I was thinking of getting another one either covered, or black so I can use the 4 conductor wiring for coil splitting, but I probably won't. I do have an extra cover and an extra pickguard for 2 humbuckers that I'm going to experiment with before I do anything. Honestly, I like the no inlay look. My Martin doesn't have any either. I think too much inlay cheapens the look of a guitar, I prefer none, dots or a single inlay, like on the Voodoo, Goth, Menace or my SZ. I may get pics with the gloss pickguard on later.

Much better!

Still... to me Lps look weird w/out inlays.

+10000000000000000

my BFG is completely stock. if i could change 1 thing and 1 thing only ever, i would put inlays on the fretboard

Well done Elessar!

Sure' date=' if you are giving her away, send her to me!! [/quote']

Thanks, but I meant the matte pickguard, but I can't guarantee it will fit without more trimming or if I cut too much out since the pickup ring was added by me and may be slightly off. I'm keeping the BFG, it's one of the best guitars that I've ever owned. Anyway, I had time, so I cut and added the gloss pickguard... much better. Tough to tell in pics so I added a comparison.

lp001-1.jpg

lp002-1.jpg

lp003-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
TF' date='

That's one wild looking BFG, it's really got a snake skin effect going on.[/quote']

Yeah, I guess it does look like snake skin. I never really thought of it that way. I think it looks really great and plays great. I also really like the fact that it is light! That is the big reason that I never would buy a Les Paul. I've been gigging for over 20 years and have always tried to keep my guitars under 8 lbs. to save me back:)

tfancil

Really nice' date=' I'm not really liking the fret markers though.[/quote']

I've played too long with fret markers to start now without any:) Especially starting a song, (to begin a set), on a dark stage! They are also only decals, so I can take them off and try something else when I'm bored with them.

tfancil

Archived