Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else think their guitar is better than they are?

davidl

I'm an ok player. Been hacking around off and on over the last 32 years with a big 20 year gap until about a year and a half ago.

I had my 1978 MIJ LP copy re-tooled in July 2009 and got hooked a bit. Finally had the means to get a real Gibson, so took the plunge and bought an LP robot and love it but also wanted something more traditional. I bought a historic re-issue R0 and have never played anything like it. Absolutely the easiest playing, nicest sounding, and by far the most beautiful guitar I've personally ever seen.

My question is...can your gear be better than you? Or can it just help you get better sooner? I'm thinking back to when I got my first pair of good hockey skates and excelled from there.

I wonder because I have some really great gear but I'm not that great. Hold my own breathing the blues though.

Any thoughts?

Dave

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, it's weird, but in the face of even larger challenges to my sense of adequacy, I have actually taken a more forgiving view of my own playing.

Taking a Principles of Accounting class which has been getting progressively harder, being very socially-awkward in a small liberal arts college environment, taking a few massive blows to my notions of academic integrity (see: sparknotes.com) due to stress and a lack of time to complete work adequately, being homesick, being ashamed of my apparent lack of motivation in my studies, being several thousand dollars in debt before I'm even eighteen years old, being constantly depressed and completely devoid of any notions of self-worth, and being in a very difficult Calculus class in which supposedly next-to-nobody has ever done well in, really put my guitar playing abilities into perspective. If, out of all of the other struggles one has endured in their life, they are more bothered by their guitar playing ability, then they are either very fortunate (to have been without great struggles) or very delusional (to consider that their playing ability is of such supreme importance.) Just my take on it, though. These are all struggles I have endured in the past month, and out of everything about me, the thing I like most is my guitar skills.

If I could go back and change time, I'd have forgotten about college, studied and practiced for my CDL (which I can't get until I'm eighteen anyway,) developed my guitar playing further, and looked for a job. It's pessimistic, but I'm reminded of Frank Zappa's especially poignant statement:

If you want to get laid, go to college, if you want to learn, go to a library.

The sad thing is that, since I've gotten here, I've done neither one or the other, although I have at certain points approached the latter (meaning I have learned, but I've gone through painful hurdles in order to do so.)

Sorry for the long-winded ramble and solipsistic whining. I guess I just meant that my opinion of my playing has improved to the point where I am convinced that I deserve the gear I have.

I'm nowhere near a collector but there are few that will be added to the family over time.

I"ve read a few threads discussing lessons that get my mind working. I've never had a lesson. I should give it a try, if only to get some discipline and routines going.

Actually, it's weird, but in the face of even larger challenges to my sense of adequacy, I have actually taken a more forgiving view of my own playing.

Taking a Principles of Accounting class which has been getting progressively harder, being very socially-awkward in a small liberal arts college environment, taking a few massive blows to my notions of academic integrity (see: sparknotes.com) due to stress and a lack of time to complete work adequately, being homesick, being ashamed of my apparent lack of motivation in my studies, being several thousand dollars in debt before I'm even eighteen years old, being constantly depressed and completely devoid of any notions of self-worth, and being in a very difficult Calculus class in which supposedly next-to-nobody has ever done well in, really put my guitar playing abilities into perspective. If, out of all of the other struggles one has endured in their life, they are more bothered by their guitar playing ability, then they are either very fortunate (to have been without great struggles) or very delusional (to consider that their playing ability is of such supreme importance.) Just my take on it, though. These are all struggles I have endured in the past month, and out of everything about me, the thing I like most is my guitar skills.

If I could go back and change time, I'd have forgotten about college, studied and practiced for my CDL (which I can't get until I'm eighteen anyway,) developed my guitar playing further, and looked for a job. It's pessimistic, but I'm reminded of Frank Zappa's especially poignant statement:

The sad thing is that, since I've gotten here, I've done neither one or the other, although I have at certain points approached the latter (meaning I have learned, but I've gone through painful hurdles in order to do so.)

Sorry for the long-winded ramble and solipsistic whining. I guess I just meant that my opinion of my playing has improved to the point where I am convinced that I deserve the gear I have.

Then you need to turn it up to 11 and tell everyone to piss off !!

I dont know if my gear is necessarily better than I am, maybe my new bass, but I'm woking on growing into it. I have to keep reminding my guitar player that I'm not as good as he thinks. I have alot of gigging experience, but my theory and technique leaves a lot to be desired.

i think that as instruments, guitars will only ever be as good as the guitarist currently playing it. i imagine Richard Thompson would make a $99 squier bullet sound better than my les paul played by me...

in the end, they are all pretty much just wood and wire.

Don

I out grow amps pretty quick, but guitars are like well worn in shoes...

I have a heavy pick hand, and I bend the crap out of strings, so my guitars have to be able to keep up.... My guitars either keep up, or they go to storage.

Hey, a question for you

The link in your sig. The Ouchy Hurt, what amp did you use for the lead track? Not only the tone but the execution of the solo and everything seems really precise and sounds really good.

Hey, a question for you

The link in your sig. The Ouchy Hurt, what amp did you use for the lead track? Not only the tone but the execution of the solo and everything seems really precise and sounds really good.

Thanks fella [smile]

Amp = VOXAC50CP at 3/4 volume.

Effects = Keeley four knob compressor and MXR Carbon Copy Delay.

Guitar = 1980 Gibby LPC

That was a good solo. It was a nice sounding guitar.

I think most top end guitars are better than the player. The reason being is they aren't competent enough to get the best from it. Who can ride a top end motor bike to it's limit? Very few. It's the same with sports cars. It's a luxury thing. No one Needs a Gibson. It that you 'want' one.

Archived