Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone else think their guitar is better than they are?

davidl

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

`

Of course my guitar is better than I am.

I think this is, or should be, pretty normal for

almost anyone who's not overly hard pressed

budgetwise. Being as I'm sorta OK financially

I do enjoy playing a decent ax, meaning one

that doesn't limit me, and won't limit me for

the imaginable future. Within my budget I'm

making that commitment to who I am and

what I like to do .... play music.

Actually, I have quite few, I just LIKE them !

Included are a coupla very "low status" axes

that are fine players. I don't wanna show up

to some unfimiliar jam playing something

that "writes checks my arse can't cash". I

reserve any rather fancy ax for my gigs, so

I'll know enuf about what I'm playing that I

won't seem "unworthy" of my instrument !

`

The thought has crossed my mind in the past and I wish it hadn't and that I hadn't listened to people with similar thoughts because despite of having the means I ended up buying cheaper guitars more "suited" to a beginner that were a waste of time.

Like somebody above said, I am growing into my guitars. My most expensive axe is an R8 and I love it, if somebody asks me why I have such expensive guitar I would say because "gosh darned I like myself"

Plus, if only professional musicians bought hi-end guitars the industry would slump.

One thing I do tell you, my guitars will have a lot of wear by the day I die. Maybe today I think my R8 was expensive but in 30 years I will think it was a bargain given the joy it gave my soul.

Not sure if serious...

But I think most of us to to an extent. Nobody is going to buy a guitar they dont like.

I'm very serious...

And I've purchased guitars based solely on looks.... for example my 80 Gibby LPC was pulled off the wall of GC, put in the case and I handed over the $1200.... I didn't even play it. [biggrin]

I made it home, and the fretboard felt terrible... The low flat frets were not at all made for my style of playing (bending / over-exaggerated vibrato). It wasn't until I pulled the guitar out of storage in Feb of 2009 that I decided to have monster fret wire installed and the fretboard scalloped, that I fell completly in love with the guitar.

I buy for tone and playability first. I struggle with necks which is why i haved more to the PRS. Looks are my last concern. BUT it must meet a minimal standard looks wise. I know I am no good on electric but i got the Mira for a good price so why not have a great guitar that inspires u to play better? Thats what matters. Inspiration. Inspiration = motivation = results. Thats how i see it

Every guitar is better than me, which is why they have to learn humility. If you are a princess guitar (Ibanez Jem, ES175, etc.) I will turn you into wood chips. That flamed or quilted finish Miss PRS is going to be belt rashed by the end of our first gig together. I play my guitars hard and I expect them to fight back. Also, if you want to be my axe you better have some meat to you.

It's a weird thing.

In the 80's I owned the ugliest Ibanez (not sure I have a pic handy) that looked like a Strat but thicker and, did I say Ugly?. I didn't quite like it, so I didn't play as much.

Later, I bought a Gibson Studio and, eventually I felt I got to be as good as it. Then I started watching these "pros" on tv and they had these gorgeous axes. So the thought came to mind "Hey, I think I may be just as able as some of these cats", and that's when I realy started to want the goods.

But here's the deal. I can pick up my $800 Studio, play it through my Marshall, add some delay or whatever, and it will sound kickarse.

And then I can put it down and pick up my more expensive one, and it will kick arse too. So, what's the moral of my story?

I don't need to spend thousands of $'s to sound good, and buying a multi-thousand $ guitar is kind of like buying a vehicle...

I need to be able to get from poing A to B, but I purchase cars that can show some kind of "prestige" on the road, if I could afford it... But for what? Cos I like the the looks, the feel, and the "power". I'm not saying I own a Bentley or anything, lol. I have a decent truck, but my wife wants a Lexus.... ](*,) Does she really need that car??? Really??? ..... Her answer is "YES", and with that, I cannot argue. Therefore, I can proudly say I NEED another beast!! LOL

Boy, what a disjointed discourse........ :blink: :)

I think my Gibson guitars wish I was a better player. They sure sound a lot better when real guitarists come by on occasion at the house to play them. At this point my guitars perhaps deserve a better player, but I'm slowly improving. My goal is to master (whatever that means) the guitar and perhaps one day, I will do justice to these awesome guitars. I also think that my guitars are aching for some "mojo" (scuffs and scrapes)from jamming on stages and playing in front of audiences, no matter how small or large. That's a primary reason they were made in the first place. They need to be patient...

Every guitar is better than me, which is why they have to learn humility. If you are a princess guitar (Ibanez Jem, ES175, etc.) I will turn you into wood chips. That flamed or quilted finish Miss PRS is going to be belt rashed by the end of our first gig together. I play my guitars hard and I expect them to fight back. Also, if you want to be my axe you better have some meat to you.

+1 I play em, and they look like it. I have small little nicks all over the place on my guitar (because of the finish it doesn't even show up though) but I am a huge proponent of the school of "guitars as tools"

+1 I play em, and they look like it. I have small little nicks all over the place on my guitar (because of the finish it doesn't even show up though) but I am a huge proponent of the school of "guitars as tools"

I will also add that answers will vary greatly depending if you gig out a lot or if you just jam out at home. When your guitar has to work for you it changes your perspective.

I keep my guitars in as perfect condition as possible.... My 72 SG I've had since I was 10 has not one ding, and it's seen mucho mucho action

I keep my guitars in as perfect condition as possible.... My 72 SG I've had since I was 10 has not one ding, and it's seen mucho mucho action

Well, my 2004 SG Special shows the time it spent on stages around the Midwest. Well worn battle scars.

Well, my 2004 SG Special shows the time it spent on stages around the Midwest. Well worn battle scars.

My SG doesnt show the time, or any of my guitars I played throughout the late 70's through most of the 80's.... I've played about 900 shows, countless studio gigs, and never bumped any of my instruments.

I guess it depends of what kind of person you are. I'm the rough type. That's why I drive a truck... I run over curbs when turning right, I go through potholes, etc... I have to pay extreme caution when handling my guitars. If you're more of a neat person and like to be organized, you prolly take good care of stuff. I'm a bull in a China shop wearing boots and a goatee... [biggrin]

Oh, I'm the same kinda bull by nature but I really watch myself around the fine china.

As much as it might pain Duane (and myself) to consider it, we're very much alike in that regard.

[crying]

And both my trucks have Michelin LTX's on them with white letters out.

Mrs. Neo rubs a curb, and I know it before she even pulls into the garage.

[-X[-(

Lotsa miles on both, and they still look damned good.

I can get everything I need out of my 4x4 without tearing it up.

As a crane operator, I got 101% out of multi-million dollar machines every day - and never tore 'em up.

I can play pretty aggressively, but I will NOT willfully damage my guitar.

Nor will anybody else who might play them - a couple friends of mine get minimal exposure to my gear.

I was one of those kids who didn't play well with others if they treated my stuff roughly.

Fxxk them - I realized at an early age that I owed them nothing if they had no regard my possessions.

Still that way to this day.

I have guitars from 3 to 50 years old, and their condition would never indicate their age.

IF they get banged up, I can cope with it but it does not happen from neglect or misuse.

I like to keep my stuff looking good too. Play them yes, abuse them, absolutely not.

My 1978 MIJ LP copy (owned since new) still looks great. Even beside my 2008 R0 and LP Robot it looks really good. You have to look closely in person to see the little dings.

IMG_0058.jpg

Dave

Oh, I'm the same kinda bull by nature but I really watch myself around the fine china.

As much as it might pain Duane (and myself) to consider it, we're very much alike in that regard.

[crying]

[biggrin] No pain here..... Though we really don't know each other, there is one thing we share........ we play the guitar

Archived