Gibson Brands Forums

OK guys...here's one for ya!

adell

Looking up what I believe to be a rare gibby acoustic. It's flatop with an 'Ovation-Style' plastic black back on it. In all my years, I've NEVER seen one like that. ANYONE help me, please! I'll be able to get a heckuva deal on it. Strange guitar, no doubt. Here's the model# : y25 ASB.

Without pictures, I can't answer definitively, but my guess is that someone has mounted a Gibson top (probably from a destroyed guitar) on an Ovation back. I am all but certain that Gibson has never made plastic-back, Ovation-style guitar bodies.

Vintage value: zero

selling value: might be worth a few hundred for someone with an eye for oddities if it is done well; otherwise, probably also close to zero

The number you list is NOT a Gibson model number unless I am very mistaken.

Ignatius

It's real. It's a J25. They made these for awhile to compete with Ovation.

I stand corrected. Thanks, jannusguy2. Wow, I would have bet the farm on this one that Gibson never made anything like that. I am amazed. It's cool to keep learning about the Gibson tradition, even its odder detours over time.

From your link, jannusguy2, it looks like Gibson actually tried to solve the typical Ovation problem of the guitar sliding around one's lap. There are definite sides on that guitar if I am seeing the pictures rightly. Very, very interesting.

Ignatius

yep. 80s. i think one of the mods here, KS Daddy, has or had one.

Thanks bunches fellas! First time here. I appreciate the fast responses! Helping a friend figure out some prices for his music store' guitars. ebay had it still bidding at $470 (??). Not sure what it's worth so I guess I'll keep an eye on that one. :)

Once again, Great Forum and my thanks,

Adell

The J25 was made in Kalamazoo (rare) and in Nashville from '83 to '85. Tops were natural, sunburst and some black. They had laminated tops. Around '91 Bozeman took the 200 or so left over bowls and fitted them with solid tops and called them the OP-25. OP stood for oil pan.

• 3 months later...

I have a J-25-E that I cannot find ANY information on. It is a J-25 with the composite back, except this has electronics. 2 knobs and jack in the strap peg.

If anyone has any information, it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks,

Rob

• 3 months later...

I have a J-25-E that I cannot find ANY information on. It is a J-25 with the composite back, except this has electronics. 2 knobs and jack in the strap peg.

If anyone has any information, it would be great to hear about it.

Thanks,

Rob

So, exactly like the one above with the electronics, the 2 knobs but just with the jack located 2" over?

So, exactly like the one above with the electronics, the 2 knobs but just with the jack located 2" over?

Yes. Except the knobs are on the left side (facing up when playing) and the jack is in the rear strap peg. Also, the inside sticker says "J-25-E". (Couple pictures in my other post here titled "J-25-E ??")

Archived