Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard (updated with pics)

kevin134

OK, as it states in the title I'm not interested if its a fake, just trying to ID this one. I have a chance at a real sharp looking Epi Les paul Standard with a nice flame maple top on it. Has a white sticker sn# and a gibson style headstock. Guitar Dater is saying its a 1989 made in Korea. I just didn't know that type of headstock was available on a Korean made model. the "Made In" sticker is too faded so can't tell. I know some Made in Japan models have possibly had this style of headstock, and wonder if maybe guitar dater is wrong.. and sorry for the crappy phone pic

post-985-055913400 1285723177_thumb.jpg

I think Gibson ought to get rid of the comedy moustache and go over to the Epi style - much classier.

I agree.

I think that if Gibson had created their headstock to look like the current Epiphone headstock and if the Epiphone headstock looked like the current Gibson people would still call the Epiphone ugly.

Yes bought it, got him down to $360. Waiting for the wife to go to work as I forgot to mention the purchase to her..lol... so will be playing shortly.. Neck has a nice feel to it and the little I messede with it at the shop sounded good..

lol - been there!

Congrats and HNGD!

As promised here are the pics

Kevin!!! Have you read the "Posting Pictures" section at the top of

the Do-it-Yourself" thread in the EPI Lounge yet? Uses Photobucket.

Great guitar! Gorgeous! A little age and use (NOT ABUSE) gives it a bit

of "Mojo"!!!!

Hehe, my Mrs thinks I did my Jimmy Page mod for £15 and most of the new pieces of kit

I get I tell her I had before we were married but had stored at my parents' house...

Now THERE'S a thinking Man!!!! I had a box of parts/pups show up from Guitarfetish,

SUPPOSED to be seen only by ME, not GF, but.... So, I made a show of it: "MY GOD - they FINALLY

arrived?????" "I had already called ONCE about cancelling the order!!! After waiting THIS

long, there had BETTER NOT be anything wrong or I'll never use them again!!!! (Yeah, right...).

Women, being curious/nosey, wanted to see what was inside, so I pulled the items out and

made a show of commenting that each part was SUPPOSED to for guitars that I had already sold,

and that I had to really dig in my parts Toolbox to find something that would work because

the parts I needed were not here yet.

Finish out the Theatrics with: "I'm KEEPING this stuff - there is NO WAY I'm going to

get caught SHORT again!!!!" (I'll accept my Acting Award now, thank you).

=D>=D>=D>

OK, as it states in the title I'm not interested if its a fake, just trying to ID this one. I have a chance at a real sharp looking Epi Les paul Standard with a nice flame maple top on it. Has a white sticker sn# and a gibson style headstock. Guitar Dater is saying its a 1989 made in Korea. I just didn't know that type of headstock was available on a Korean made model. the "Made In" sticker is too faded so can't tell. I know some Made in Japan models have possibly had this style of headstock, and wonder if maybe guitar dater is wrong.. and sorry for the crappy phone pic

Hi Kevin, the head in your guitar is REALLY Made in Japan

is one of first Elite edtions in Japan, without le logo Elite.

Cool, the only reason i don't have an Epi lp or sg is because i hate the UGLY headstocks ! Much Kudos to anybody who finds one with the Gibby shape headstock.

I Just bought one last weekend, i love it, but the headstock is still ugly ! [flapper]

Archived