Gibson Brands Forums

What would you change?

Tim Plains

My challenge stands.

If you can build a Les Paul cheaper' date=' do it.

You may call their markup ridiculous, but I urge you to look into any succesful product and follow it from inception to retail.

Just on the retail end, after what the dealers pay, is a substantial markup.

If you could afford the real estate, utilities, insurance, taxes and such, you could go into business and beat 'em up.

I'm a capitalist pig.

If your product is selling, that means people are voluntarily [i']giving[/i] you their hard-earned money for it.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

Do you think Henry and Friends bought Gibson as a benevolent move for all us guitar players?

They bought it to make MONEY, coincidentally with a product they loved.

Sounds like a dream job to me....

$500 Les Pauls would mean Les Pauls ONLY from the Pacific Rim, and none of my money would be given voluntarily.

I like getting a good deal, and I shop accordingly, but I've NEVER been proud to own a guitar that was the cheapest I could find. How would you feel showing your pride and joy to somebody and they said

"Wow, I bet you didn't pay sh!t for that - I mean, LOOK at it!"

1) reread. i NEVER said the consumer should pay $500. i said it cost Gibson $500 to make. that means that consumer pays a $2000 markup. If cost is truly $500, sell it to GC for $1000. that's a helluva profit. then GC sell it for $1500-1750. Lots of profit for them too. and now the consumer is happy because he didnt practice BOHICA at the register.

2) its easy for you to challenge me. thats like me saying, i challenge you to find a better way to travel to the moon.

and i agree with you. as long as we continue to pay, they will continue to charge. but that doesnt mean its right. i realize the gibson has people who crunch numbers to figure out the max they can charge relative to the number of sales to maximize profits. all i'm saying, is that $2500 is a lot of money for the **** coming out of the USA plant.

maybe gibson should have a sale once a year and drop the price a little bit. that puts a human face on their company (as opposed to "I am KING HENRY!!!!!") and will show that they cherish their customers. i think their sales would go up.

besides, none of this WILL happen. i am just saying what I would like to see happen.

They should give the option of 6 in a row tunning machines' date=' and white pickguards screwed to the body (at least 10 screws).

3 single coils and 5 way switching also...

Oh, and dont forget the useless tremolo, and 3 pots instead of 4.

...top mounted diagonal jack?

[/quote']

Don't forget the bolt-on neck!

Seriously......

For the USA line: I would simplify the lineup. It's bewildering for Les Paul novices to figure out what all the differences are.

You can cut this a lot of different ways, but IMO the Standard should be the foundational guitar around which all other USA models revolve, and other models would be visualized as variations of the Standard.

I would limit the number of models cheaper than a Standard to two, max - perhaps the Studio and the BFG (or something like it). Too many less-expensive models cheapens the entire line's image.

I'll leave the details to others, but trying to make one named model do so much duty is just too messy and confusing.

For the Custom Shop, my recommendation would be that customers could actually order custom guitars, within a set of available options.

For the USA line: I would simplify the lineup. It's bewildering for Les Paul novices to figure out what all the differences are.

Three months ago I bought a Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop with COA.

I’m still not sure what model I have bought that day... it could be any of these variations:

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue Antique Gold

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue Antique Gold Blemished

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop VOS

Well for sure is not a Black Back... :-k

I guess a Gibson Les Paul is to be played and loved and not to try to figure out its model and version and variation and so on... :-k

Rock On!

Three months ago I bought a Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop with COA.

I’m still not sure what model I have bought that day... it could be any of these variations:

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue Antique Gold

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop Reissue Antique Gold Blemished

- Gibson Custom 57 Les Paul Goldtop VOS

Well for sure is not a Black Back... :)

I guess a Gibson Les Paul is to be played and loved and not to try to figure out its model and version and variation and so on... :)

Rock On!

this is an easy one to figure out. what did your guitar cost as sticker? that will tell me instantly which one is was. the R7 VOS is 3099.99. The R7 Gloss is 3399.99. And if it was a blem, did it fall between the two?

and if it was VOS you would know. VOS is hard to miss if you have ever seen another gloss LP.

I would get rid of the coloured inlays on the classic.

And make a les paul model with 24 frets and a thin fast neck.

Thats all I dont like about les pauls.. is that they dont have 24 frets.

Thats the reason I'm currently looking to buy an Ibanez RG2550... yes you heard right, an Ibanez!

Archived