Gibson Brands Forums

50s Tribute vs Them all

bluesguitar65

My 50s tribute against the other favorite guitars I play. My goldie dethroned my 2008 les paul standard. [tongue]

The tone from the 50's seems to be warmer, fuller bodied to my old ears. The bucker guitar sounded very bright, kind of ice-picky, the SG sounded very, very good. But my fav tone came from the 50's.

I've been noodling around with that same track. It's got Rolling Stones written all over it. I may try to do some Keef type rhythm on top of it :-k

The tone from the 50's seems to be warmer, fuller bodied to my old ears. The bucker guitar sounded very bright, kind of ice-picky, the SG sounded very, very good. But my fav tone came from the 50's.

I've been noodling around with that same track. It's got Rolling Stones written all over it. I may try to do some Keef type rhythm on top of it :-k

Yea, the 50s tribute to me sounded the best also, much warmer sounding. Comes to show, you budget guitars can sound just as good or better than thier expensive counterparts. Its no doubt why my 50s tribute GT has become my favorite.

The GC backing track on the video gave me a southern rock flavor, so I played my lead parts towards that style, but turned out to me more country sounding LOL! Please post your rendition on this backing track.......hopefully a youtube? [thumbup]

Yea, the 50s tribute to me sounded the best also, much warmer sounding. Comes to show, you budget guitars can sound just as good or better than thier expensive counterparts. Its no doubt why my 50s tribute GT has become my favorite.

The GC backing track on the video gave me a southern rock flavor, so I played my lead parts towards that style, but turned out to me more country sounding LOL! Please post your rendition on this backing track.......hopefully a youtube? [thumbup]

I'll try. I really am very shy about my playing, let alone being on video. I'll give it a shot tho. I may have to sync the PODxt and the video for the best tone. Is there an easy way to do that?

I'll try. I really am very shy about my playing, let alone being on video. I'll give it a shot tho. I may have to sync the PODxt and the video for the best tone. Is there an easy way to do that?

I would hang on to the sg,,it definately has a bit more character than the others.

Yea, wanna see you play. You have to record audio and video at the same time with your computer. You could (maybe) record the video not with the microphone input, but the line in and get your Pod in there. In that case everythings is recorded in sync. Else you have to record the vid with mic input, record the xt at the same time, but maybe with another program or even another recorder and scratch the strings sharply to have a reference point for synchronisation. You could clap hands, but that won't get recorded in the pods stream. Afterwards you have to cut the audio and the video to start on your reference point and replace the mic audio with the pod audio in a video cutting program like premiere, iMovie or whatever lets you handle the audio tracks separately. Then it should theoretically play in sync.

Just because their more expensive, don't make them better!!

Look at Willie Nelson's piece of art that he uses.... 'Nuff said. msp_biggrin.gif

I heard a story of chet atkins playing and someone said "wow that guitar sounds great !"...chet stooped playing ,,looked up at the guy and said.... "now how does it sound?

Yea, wanna see you play. You have to record audio and video at the same time with your computer. You could (maybe) record the video not with the microphone input, but the line in and get your Pod in there. In that case everythings is recorded in sync. Else you have to record the vid with mic input, record the xt at the same time, but maybe with another program or even another recorder and scratch the strings sharply to have a reference point for synchronisation. You could clap hands, but that won't get recorded in the pods stream. Afterwards you have to cut the audio and the video to start on your reference point and replace the mic audio with the pod audio in a video cutting program like premiere, iMovie or whatever lets you handle the audio tracks separately. Then it should theoretically play in sync.

Great tips! What I do is record both the video and the sound at the same time, save you much more time on the editing and syncing the video and the audio together. I use the iSight webcam on my Macbook laptop for the video (wished it was HD :rolleyes:), and I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio interface between a Behringer UB802 mixer and the macbook. I mic with a Sennheiser e609 dynamic mic. The audio is record with the video, save me so much time of syncing the video and audio this way. I use iMovie to do the video editing and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hItpcoGr0oI

....I geuss my point being, its best not to crawl up your own *** too far with the "tone" thing. An electric guitar does have a Makita power tool like purpose. And that primary purpose is to be heard above the drums and piss off the sound guy. Or conversely, to piss off the drummer and be heard through the sound system, although those two rarely happen together!

Sorry to disagree with you BUT TONE IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT IF IT WERE NOT THEN WHY BUY A GIBSON WHEN YOU CAN GET A EPI OR A FENDER OR A SQUIRE.

TONE IS WHAT MAKES N BREAKS THE GOOD GUITARS FROM THE PLAIN OL'GUITARS

JUST LIKE THERE ARE GUITAR PLAYERS AND GUITARISTS I PREFER TO BE THE LATTER....TONE IT WHAT Y(OU:RE PAYING FOR< IN YOU AX< CORD< PICK< STRINGS< AMPS EVERYTHING YOU USE>...I DON:LT GET THAT EVEN YOUR DRUMS MUST HAVE THE RIGHT TONE

EVERYTHING ABOUT MUSIC HAS TO DO WITH THE TONE OF THE GUITAR !!The point of the guitar is to put music to the lyrics you wrote and hopefully with a nice melody and just like a GORGEOUS CONCERT PIANO when I play my 30, 00 54 PAUL I expect it to sound like a 30 thousand dollar guitar.

IT IS ALL RELEVANT but to say TONE is NOT THAT IMPORTANT means you must play that TWO FINGER SLIDE stuff with full distortion and no regard for using and EQ and not having any sort of signature sound VOLUME AND TONE are TWO completely different things !@!!

BLUESGUY 56 your 93 SPECIAL SHOULD NOT have P-90 it has P-100;'s you should put in a PUSH PULL pot and this way you can have the p-100's or you can have it as two single coils !!!!

I certainly do NOT want to argue but I am sorry in comparing prices YES THE MORE EXPENSIVE GUITAR WILL SOUND BETTER HANDS DOWN''BUT WHEN YOU:RE COMPARING A 1300.00 guitar to one that cost 2000.00 in 06 the 56 re-issue we;re relly not in different dollar figures of guitars.

I am sure there is a reason why some guys play SUPER 400;s that cost then in excess of 15 grand than just picking up a STRAT PACK and playing the gig.

Some of us actually depend on the tone of the guitar to help us write the songs.

You see since 1973 I have made a living off playing guitar I pout out 5 albums have been on 4 world tour 3 with different bands am on albums with 7 other artists and am now working with ALLIGATOR RECORDS as a hired gun while working on my own project.

When you do this as a living you need the best you can afford you get ONE chance to make a FIRST OPINION.

If you;re just playing on the weekends and jamming with your buddies n stuff then spending 30 grand ona guitar is stupid and I understand that but you too should see how someone who makes his living with is guitar it needs to be there best he can afford.

It;s like if you were a STONEMASON you;re not gonna have a wood chisel and a sledge hammer you;re gonna have a box of specialty tools to get the job done right and perfect !!!

I think NONE of us are arguing understand your point ...you do not do this for a living as I do so why spend thousands on an ax when a 900.00 PAUL sounds fine.....and I get that, but I think you also get the guy who needs his guitar for making records and playing out it must be the best he can afford and out out the best sound possible.

Playing is not just my job it is my second love my passion my best friend, my therapy my way of expressing myself......and I am sure doing well in the business is the reason I won;t think twice of buying a 57 LES PAUL JR for 15 grand if it is in PERFECT 100% original condition

NICE CONVERSATION AND DIFFERENT POINTS BOTTOM LINE IS WE LOVE OUR GIBSONS !!!!!

ST JAMES

I think TONE MATTERS TO YOU AS WELL OR ELSE YOU WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT ONE AND HAVE OTHERS.

I say this as politely as I can st james, you're dead wrong. Put a $300.00 guitar in Derek Truck's hands and he can make it sound better than I can make a $3000.00 guitar. I flat out guarantee it. Tone is in the fingers. You've bought and drank the Flavor Aid (they didn't use Kool Aid in Jonestown :P )

You do not need to go into massive debt to have a very good sounding and playing guitar. And for god sakes, your poor caps lock key must need replacing more frequently than your strings.

I say this as politely as I can st james, you're dead wrong. Put a $300.00 guitar in Derek Truck's hands and he can make it sound better than I can make a $3000.00 guitar. I flat out guarantee it. Tone is in the fingers. You've bought and drank the Flavor Aid (they didn't use Kool Aid in Jonestown :P )

You do not need to go into massive debt to have a very good sounding and playing guitar. And for god sakes, your poor caps lock key must need replacing more frequently than your strings.

I agree! I have both Gibsons, and Epi's (USA and Asian), and I get exactly what I need, out of all of them. The better player I became (and I'm no guitar God, by any stretch), the easier it was, to get the "Tone" I wanted, and the less important the cost of the guitar became. Quality exists, in all price ranges, from all manufacturers. Gibby's are Great, no doubt...but so are a lot of other brands.

CB

St. James, your posts are coming off a bit heavy handed, and intolerant of other Member's opinions. Perhaps a bit more courtesy and consideration of your fellow enthusiasts would be in order, and make your thoughts a bit better received.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an element of truth in your words, but you seem to seek a sledge hammer when a tack hammer may be the better tool for the job (WRT your posting style).

The vintage guitars are in many's minds, superior to what is produced today. Some of that is due to aging, but other reasons may run from craftsmanship that is much rarer, to less selectivity/availability of types of wood to differences in the finish and certainly in the electronics. It is no accident that the plethora of "reissues" from Fender, Gibson and others (to include amplifiers) is due to a superiority and popularity of the originals. And of course, the reissue rarely if ever equals or fully duplicates the original.

I've owned a few vintages in my time. A '67 Firebird III (3 P90's) was my first "good" guitar. And I owned a 100% original 1962 Stratocaster (one of the "grail" years for this guitar), which was vastly superior to my then reissue Stratocaster (and it was nearly all I played while I had it). I also had a very nice 100% original '57 Les Paul Jr. (not perfect, but in excellent condition). And I still own a 1935 National Duolian.

These were all fantastic guitars, and all definitely superior to current iterations of the same models. When compared side by side, the newer versions generally paled by comparison (the same with amplifiers, and I owned 17 vintage amps from several manufacturers, from the 1940's to the mid 1960's).

But, the fact remains, a superior guitarist with a modern quality guitar would certainly "blow away" anything I would play on these wonders with his "inferior" modern guitar. And many fine vintage traits are mimicked adequately enough in modern reissues to make them worthy of appreciation of the most skilled and soulful of guitarists. And with those of us who are not professional, whether or not we are playing at a level deserving of consideration as a professional (many non- professionals are and do), the ultra high cost of fine vintage gear may or may not be something we choose to or even are able to pay. Yet the trend of retro style/manufacturing techniques for instruments as well as amplifiers make available to the average person, a fine quality sound worthy of being found in their home or even in the pro's recording studio.

There is much quality music to be had from, and much "tone" available to be extracted from many of the current offerings from many manufacturers. And there is no reason in the world to denigrate those who choose to appreciate many of the fine offerings available today. I see top notch Pro players (recording artists) play newer instruments quite frequently. And very often, the "tone" they get simply leaves me in awe.

St. James, your posts are coming off a bit heavy handed, and intolerant of other Member's opinions. Perhaps a bit more courtesy and consideration of your fellow enthusiasts would be in order, and make your thoughts a bit better received.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is an element of truth in your words, but you seem to seek a sledge hammer when a tack hammer may be the better tool for the job (WRT your posting style).

The vintage guitars are in many's minds, superior to what is produced today. Some of that is due to aging, but other reasons may run from craftsmanship that is much rarer, to less selectivity/availability of types of wood to differences in the finish and certainly in the electronics. It is no accident that the plethora of "reissues" from Fender, Gibson and others (to include amplifiers) is due to a superiority and popularity of the originals. And of course, the reissue rarely if ever equals or fully duplicates the original.

I've owned a few vintages in my time. A '67 Firebird III (3 P90's) was my first "good" guitar. And I owned a 100% original 1962 Stratocaster (one of the "grail" years for this guitar), which was vastly superior to my then reissue Stratocaster (and it was nearly all I played while I had it). I also had a very nice 100% original '57 Les Paul Jr. (not perfect, but in excellent condition). And I still own a 1935 National Duolian.

These were all fantastic guitars, and all definitely superior to current iterations of the same models. When compared side by side, the newer versions generally paled by comparison (the same with amplifiers, and I owned 17 vintage amps from several manufacturers, from the 1940's to the mid 1960's).

But, the fact remains, a superior guitarist with a modern quality guitar would certainly "blow away" anything I would play on these wonders with his "inferior" modern guitar. And many fine vintage traits are mimicked adequately enough in modern reissues to make them worthy of appreciation of the most skilled and soulful of guitarists. And with those of us who are not professional, whether or not we are playing at a level deserving of consideration as a professional (many non- professionals are and do), the ultra high cost of fine vintage gear may or may not be something we choose to or even are able to pay. Yet the trend of retro style/manufacturing techniques for instruments as well as amplifiers make available to the average person, a fine quality sound worthy of being found in their home or even in the pro's recording studio.

There is much quality music to be had from, and much "tone" available to be extracted from many of the current offerings from many manufacturers. And there is no reason in the world to denigrate those who choose to appreciate many of the fine offerings available today. I see top notch Pro players (recording artists) play newer instruments quite frequently. And very often, the "tone" they get simply leaves me in awe.

So eloquently stated! =D>

Archived