Gibson Brands Forums

NGD SG special faded Brown

abbeyrod

Here is my new baby.

Very fine guitar for the price I paid for it

sg1bz.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I added a Bigsby B7 on it, which gives it a strong personnality.

i also added PU nickel covers. Black/chrome reflectors will follow soon.

sg2d.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No Vibramate kit for SG&B7, but I like B7 a lot more than B5..so I had to drill 6 holes to fix it on the SG Body.

[crying]

But it works great [laugh]

Yeah I thought about vibramate, but the B7 model is designed to fit a les paul, ,not a sg.

i tried it but i had to do without it.

I don't really mind the stud hole as it is as it happened to be before vibramate exists...which means it is not so bad.

By the way if someone knows a means to fill them with something like an alloy cap or a black plastic cap...

Thanks for the comments.

the pick ups are stock 490, but they'll soon be replaced by an SD APH1 neck and a Pearly Gates Bridge.

I just added the nickel covers as I do not like black stripped bobins.

for the holes, I guess I could try the kind of wood sheets preglued that are used to finish loudspeakers for example. a bit of brown tint on it and it should be nearly perfect.

I will receive soon black reflectors and orange drop caps, plus the SD pick ups, and then this cheap axe will be a great one.

Well, regarding the bigsby and the tuning issue, it does not look to create more problems than you can usually get with a gibson with that kind of nut and tuners. Of course, if you use it a lot, the guitar won't stay in tune a long time, but if you use it gently, it doesn't seem to give more worry than with a stop bar.

I have set a Seymour Duncan APH1 on neck position and a Pearly Gates for bridge one.

It really sounds like hell now.

On top of that I have changed the wiring for 50's Lespaul one, and swapped the ceramic capacitors for orange drop's!

only regret is that the pearly gate is pole spaced like a neck pick up, which means I will have to order another gibson nickel neck cover to have it hidden. now there's nickel cover on neck PU and the bridge is zebra naked (which also looks nice, but more wild)

I have set a Seymour Duncan APH1 on neck position and a Pearly Gates for bridge one.

It really sounds like hell now.

On top of that I have changed the wiring for 50's Lespaul one, and swapped the ceramic capacitors for orange drop's!

only regret is that the pearly gate is pole spaced like a neck pick up, which means I will have to order another gibson nickel neck cover to have it hidden. now there's nickel cover on neck PU and the bridge is zebra naked (which also looks nice, but more wild)

well by the time you did all this you could have bought a standard..... but it is fun to buy a cheaper guitar and modify it..... ALOT

well by the time you did all this you could have bought a standard..... but it is fun to buy a cheaper guitar and modify it..... ALOT

Not really as the standard is twice the price of the special faded.

and I love the faded finishes. it lets the wood vibrate a lot more than varnish finishes.

on top of that, I had the bigsby waiting at home for a guitar to be set on, and the pick ups costed me 200$.

I will make money selling stock ones, so you see, it didn't cost that much.

And with APH1 neck & Pearly Gates Bridge, it sounds like hell.

I haven't touched my LP or either my flying v as this sg is easy to play and good for the ears [biggrin]

i'm thinking of changing the PUs on mine too, but there're very few samples of SGs with changed PUs so i have no idea of what could came out! what do you think of these two you put in? how's the sound changed? :-k

thanks! [-o<

JACK30 : well the APH1 is less muddy and more open than stock 490R. I also swapped stock classic 57 for APH1 on my les paul and the sound is also less in the bass frequencies, and more in medium/high freq. In fact, I guess it comes from the fact gibson PU have strongly charged magnets in them.

The pearly gates sounds great with the APH1. very complementary. used alone on bridge, you get Angus young sound very easily. In fact it's a replica from 50's pafs with more bite.

Duncans pick up are great and affordable as replacement pick ups.

i will soon try duncan SH1 '59 on my faded V.

Archived