Gibson Brands Forums

NGD SG special faded Brown

abbeyrod

thanks for the review! i'm pretty sure about the PG but for the neck i still don't know... i'd like a warm sound, like dickey betts on the ABB for example... (i know an SG will never sound exactly like a LP but i'd like to get as near as possible...)

thanks for the review! i'm pretty sure about the PG but for the neck i still don't know... i'd like a warm sound, like dickey betts on the ABB for example... (i know an SG will never sound exactly like a LP but i'd like to get as near as possible...)

Speaking of Dickey Betts, what's become of him lately?? I haven't seen hide nor hair of him anywhere....

The APH1 is warm, but less bassy than original pick up. on a sg the sound shall be warmer than a les paul as it's all mahogany.

the aph1 on a les paul has more attack because of the Maple cap.

if you want something warmer than 490R, then you should try a classic 57 neck, they are really warm, but a bit too hot for me.

On a scale of 10, I would say the classis 57 is 7,5 and Alnico PRO II at 7 (500T would be 10 and a strat pick up around 4)

it's just what my ears indicated me. but the classic 57 are really warm pick ups and full of juice. I replaced them because I wanted something even more vintage, but they are sweet PU.

well the pearly gates sounds quite alike the APH1 with more midrange and output.

so Pearly gates and Classic 57 are as hot, but classic 57 delivers more bass.

Classic 57+ are definitely hotter than a pearly gates, but they are also quite good sounding on bridge.

I never tried the PG neck, but it looks like it's underwinded to have a bluesy neck pick up.

I'm so in love with the B7 that I also set one on my V using a vibramate kit.

for the SG, it still needs a bit of settings. the angle between the tail and the top of the bigsby near the bridge is too important (as if the bigsby was sinking into the guitar with its tail rising up).

it makes the angle between the bigsby and the bridge too important too (hard to explain..)

I Will soon use wooden wedges to reduces this angle by placing them under the bigsby where it is screwed on the guitar top near the bridge. this will raise it a bit, and hopefully enough to meliorate this string angle between the bigsby and the bridge.

This does not prevent me to use the bigsby but I want it to be perfectly set.

Archived