Gibson Brands Forums

Soundtrack lovers out there??

eightiesbaby80

I’m really into soundtracks & I found the Parenthood one which came out this week, & because I love the show!! I found on youtube the soundtrack has Bob Dylan & some other great hits. Here is a video of behind the scenes for the remake of “Forever Young”

Any other ideas of good soundtracks out right now??

Patrick Williams may well be the most listened to composer of the last 40 years. Ever hear of him?

From the late 1960s through the 1990s he composed the themes to many of the most popular TV shows on the air.

The Streets of San Francisco, The Lou Grant Show, Colombo, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, The Bob Newhart Show, The Tony Randall Show, The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd, The Magician, After Mash, Slap Maxwell, Baltimore, The Black Tie Affair, Cutters, FM, The Simpson's.

And that was just some of his TV work, he also wrote many of the arrangements for Doc Severinsen and the Tonight Show Orchestra,

He composed the score for more tan 35 feature films.

One academy award, 4 Emmys, 22 Emmy nominations, 2 Grammys, 17 Grammy nominations. He is one of America's most prolific composers. Some of his best work was IMO with Tom Scott and the LA Express.

This is the title cut from Threshold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFbgt8HJlI

This is his web site;

http://patrickwilliamsmusic.com/

Leaving out the obvioius ones like "The Blues Brothers" and "The Graduate"...?

A few stick in the mind. The films are all brilliant too!

"In the Mood For Love" - Film by Wong Kar Wei set in Hong Kong.

"Caramel" - Film from Lebanon.

"Local Hero" - Film set in Scotland. Music by Mark Knopfler.

"Monsoon Wedding" - Film from India.

"Marie Antoinette" (the 2006 version) - Need I explain?

The main theme from "Bullitt" is superb.

The score to the original Superman TV show starring George Reeves. The last time I searched for the writer, rumored that one of the producers or directors wrote it. A great short score if you listen to the swirling sounds they did in the back ground as his cape moves with the wind.

There're so many good ones. Are we talking about original scores, or shows/movies that pick great songs as their soundtrack?

For original scores I think Star Wars has to be up there. The spagetti westerns too. I remember as a kid, we had the 8 Track of the Earthquake soundtrack and it had some really pretty music on there. I think some of it was later used in the Superman the Movie soundtrack.

Ever listen to the background music in the original Planet of the Apes? Wierd stuff there. Sometimes sounds like a cat running across a piano.

BTW, I hadn't see Scarface in years until the other day when it was playing on some cable channel. Man the music in that movie is cheesey. It sounds like cheap B horror movie music played on a Casio keyboard :-k

I like Video Game soundtracks because typically more work goes into them than the average TV show and such. Not true for ALL video games, but the ones that have production values that accommodate quality music typically have better environments and ambience.

The Harder They Come. Chock 'friggin full of early Reggae goodness. Most notably Jimmy Cliff.

Also the the music for the Wim Wenders film Paris Texas. Some the most atmospheric yet organic sounding music

you'll ever hear, courtesy of Ry Cooder.

Archived