Gibson Brands Forums

'67 es-335 dark heel?

tvguit

The extra darkness distinctively starts at the joint between the maple back and the mahogany neck. If it were there to hide a neck reset or similar repair, I would think the darkened "hide" area would have extended across the neck/body joint.

This is what your added pictures reveals, and exactly what Grog and I noticed. Do you not see it?

By the way, it almost looks like there's a U-shaped crack at the neck/headstock joint:

DSC_0206.jpg

If so, it may not be serious, but it's something to consider.

Here is another side of the joint:

DSC_01882.jpg

What do you think of this side? It doesn't look like it has been worked on to me. Maybe you guys see something I don't?

Here is a link to all the pictures:

http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af320/jfshults/Gibson/1967%20ES-335/

What do you think about the bridge pickup? It doesn't have the patent sticker but it looks exactly like the other pu. Do you think it is original?

There is a bit of spray on the lower binding.

Craig

Hate to say it, but now that I've looked at more of your photos and seen the condition of the back and the back of the neck, it's pretty obvious that this guitar has seen some rough handling over the years. If it's structurally sound, and plays and sounds fine, then I still think you did okay. I hope so. This is one of the most versatile of all electric guitars, and I'm sure you'll love it once you get used to playing it.

I remembered you can see the neck tenon if you take off the neck pu so I went and took some pictures. Does it too look like it as been reset?

DSC_01902.jpg

DSC_01892.jpg

The joint is 100% solid and the serial number on the headstock matches the serial number on the sticker so it is at least the original neck. I am not sold that it has been reglued and covered up. The finish is uniform all the way up the neck and has extensive playing wear. Also, the finish is still uniform at the 1/4 in of black that is on the body. I would think the entire guitar would need to be refinished to cover it up, yet it looks very original. Extensive checking, etc. I am not sure either way.

As for the crack in the finish near the headstock, I was aware of that. I looked pretty closely at it for a while and I don't think it goes into the wood. It doesn't make sense for the finish to crack that way, but I also cannot see any wood separation.

I am welcoming all opinions though. Thanks for the feedback about it.

Some of it depends on the quality of the photo, I think. Compare the view below to the photo in post #20 above, and compare the appearance of the neck joint inside the cutaway:

%21B5OHQ6wBWk%7E$%28KGrHqV,%21gsEyGkgLcLgBMszVg%21t1g%7E%7E_3.JPG

I think jfshults should just take the guitar to a repairperson or dealer who is very experienced and familiar with vintage Gibsons, or send photos to George Gruhn and request an appraisal and opinions.

If that picture is your 67' ES-335 then it has been modified:

1. The Pegs are Grovers, I believe they replaced the originals.

2. The Volume and Tone Knobs are the "Witch Hat" style, not the "Top Hat" Style which were used in the 60's were replaced too.

3. Your bridge, are the saddles the white plastic, or metal? They used plastic back in the 60's.

So the guitar has been modified to some extent.

If that picture is your 67' ES-335 then it has been modified:

1. The Pegs are Grovers, I believe they replaced the originals.

2. The Volume and Tone Knobs are the "Witch Hat" style, not the "Top Hat" Style which were used in the 60's were replaced too.

3. Your bridge, are the saddles the white plastic, or metal? They used plastic back in the 60's.

So the guitar has been modified to some extent.

Thanks Ken, but the bridge and knobs are original (except for that one replacement). I think you were looking at the wrong guitar (the guitar directly above this post isn't mine- look for the 6 string with the dark heel). Also around that time the bridge saddles were changed from metal to nylon, so that is probably original as well. I think it was pretty obvious the Grovers were replacements. I was not claiming the guitar to be all original but I was wondering about the heel area.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived