Gibson Brands Forums

Who would you think is the greatest LP wielder of all time?

Naradien

Haven't we done this before?

Anyway, Eric Clapton, if you don't believe me listen to the Beano album and early Cream stuff.

Freddie King would be up there aswell, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Peter Green, George Harrison.

Haven't we done this before?

Anyway' date=' Eric Clapton, if you don't believe me listen to the Beano album and early Cream stuff.

Freddie King would be up there aswell, Pete Townsend, Jimmy Page, Peter Green, George Harrison. [/quote']

And, let's not forget Mike Bloomfield!

CB

I still don't see Gary Moore as a Les Paul player. When I think of Gary Moore' date=' I see him with a Strat or Charvel.

And an orange boiler suit:-s [/quote']

Why would you think that? His main axe has been a Les Paul, and is still a Les Paul. He does occasionally use a Strat and a Charvel for a few songs, but who doesn't? Almost all of his recordings and mostly all of his songs performed live are played on the Les Paul.

I'd pick Gary Moore as number one Les Paul player. He has a different feeling than Eric Clapton, but he's also faster and dirtier than most other LP players.

Some of us probably listened to a lot of Gary's 80s stuff when he used a Strat pretty exclusively as I remember.

Oh, his rock phase. I guess that's true, but I tend to remember him by Parisienne Walkways, which is exclusively Les Paul.

Oh' date=' his rock phase. I guess that's true, but I tend to remember him by Parisienne Walkways, which is exclusively Les Paul. [/quote']

His "rock phase" lasted from the early seventies throughout the eighties.

Much as he likes to deny it, hardrock was the foundation of his career.

And he was damn good at it, as a matter of fact.

If you want to discover the hardrocking Gary Moore, check out his "We Want Moore" live album.

Archived