Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal box for Gibson - George L cables?

retrosurfer1959

Ive decided to finaly build a pedal board to permently mount and wire some of the main pedals I use . Has anyone used the George L wiring kits to do this. They have great ratings and sonic characteristics and use and seem very clean way to hardwire your pedals with custom length cables without soldering.

I have one of there 20 foot guitar cables thin gauge .155 cables and I love it well made good ends and great tone the then cable takes some getting used to as it folds easy and snags on stuff but it also takes all the pain out of hauling the cable since even the twenty foot rolls up small enough to fit in the guitar case even with the tuner, strings and a wipe down cloth.

I love George L's for longer runs from the guitar to the pedals and from the pedals to the amps but I think their patch cables suck, specifically the connectors. The wheel for clamping them down comes loose so your tighten it, if you tighten it too much it shorts out the cable so you have to clip that part of the cable and do it again. They're a hassle. If you really want to use George L's stuff for patch cables, I suggest getting the 155 cable and buying their straight connectors even if they take up a little more space.

I have the George Ls on my pedal board. I have a bunch of odd shaped pedals. To get things in the right order sound wise I had to makes some strange runs; custom sized cables were a must. I used the right angle connectors, and I agree with Rich, they are tricky. Once I learned not to crank the thumb wheels down with pliers though (this shorts them out) it was not so bad. I don't notice any sound difference though over any other cable, but the custom sizing is a plus for sure.

I run George L .155 cable and the right angle plugs on my pedal board. Lets me make the cable just the right size. No excess looping around the board or pulling the pedal out of position.

Don't crank the caps down on the plugs. Use a touch of green lock-tite to hold the cap in place once it is in and you're good to go.

PS - surfpup, we inlanders say golf is just marbles for people too lazy to bend over

PS - surfpup' date=' we inlanders say golf is just marbles for people too lazy to bend over[/quote']

Nice, I'll have to remember that one as I am heading back to work soon and most of our faculty golfs!

LOL

Ok so that is two yes - two no's and a few, golf vs surfing or marbles comments. Guess it's a distinct, possible, maybe, sometimes huh :-k .

Oh well I can live with that, I solder my own cables usually but it would be nice to be able to adjust length on the go and I like the .155 size easy to route under the board so I'll probably give it a try. And I won't over tighten the caps.

I have heard pro musicians lament how the George L's connections simply aren't durable enough for a roadworthy board (then again, the same guy told me the customs guys tore his board apart) yet I've never had a problem with gentle handling of the board.

The Planet Waves cable kit is another option, and it turns out the plugs are interchangeable with their circuitbreaker cables. Also solderless and it comes with a cute little cutter that actually clips the cable cleanly without crushing anything like wire cutters would.

Not for anything, I golf, I don't surf, and I can't find my marbles.

Archived