Gibson Brands Forums

St. Louis Big Band Jazz

L5Larry

I know there is a bunch of members here from the St. Louis area, and I just want to let you know of a couple opportunities to see the L-5 (me AND the guitar) in action, and hear a kick-*** band (despite the guitar player).

The fall concert series with the 20-piece big band gets started next week with concerts on Wednesday (10/13), and Sunday (10/17). Come on out and hear some great music in a couple of very nice theaters.

Wednesday, October 13, 8:00 p.m.

Black Cat Theatre

2810 Sutton

Maplewood, MO 63143

Tickets $10 ($5 with student ID)

The Black Cat is a "cabaret" style theater (table seating), with full bar service and plenty of FREE parking. We'll be doing two sets, and have two female guest vocalists doing a few tunes.

If you can't make that one, how about this one:

Sunday, October 17, 3:00 p.m.

Meramec College Campus Theater (Humanities West Bldg)

Big Bend and Geyer Rd, in Kirkwood, MO 63122

Tickets - FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE

This is the fall music department "showcase" for the various performance ensembles of the college. This concert will include sets by the symphony, concert band and chorus, with us (the jazz lab band) closing the show. These are NOT student bands, these are professional bands "sponsored" by the college, and are made up of some of the finest musicians in St. Louis/Southern Illinois area.

If you make it by, be sure and come up and say hi, I'd like to meet some of the local forum members. I won't be hard to spot, I'm the one playing the Gibson guitar, dressed in black, with the giant mustache. Oh, and I'm debuting the new black and white wing-tip alligator skin spectator shoes. That alone should be worth the price of admission.

Man i wish i could go.

I love me some Big Band Jazz...hell i love me any jazz!

Ya, thats Right New Yawka! [biggrin]

But I agree with him, even though Im in STL I still cant go. [scared]

L5Larry,

Are you gonna be on Khits or anything like that, or not that big?

I would come to see you if I didn't live in Texas. msp_flapper.gif I was a jazz guitarist for a few years until this last year when I quite the school jazz band because the director was an a$$hole. He didn't like the fact that I was a Rock N' Roll guitarist. But yeah I never really liked jazz anyway. I was just in there so I could play my guitar at school.

Sorry Larry but I wont make it. sad.gif

I would come to see you if I didn't live in Texas. msp_flapper.gif I was a jazz guitarist for a few years until this last year when I quite the school jazz band because the director was an a$$hole. He didn't like the fact that I was a Rock N' Roll guitarist. But yeah I never really liked jazz anyway. I was just in there so I could play my guitar at school.

Then why would you go to this? [blink]

Hmmm... Are you sure what he really didnt like was the fact that you couldnt play jazz? There is a hell of a lot of

musical knowledge to be learned from a jazz music discipline. Jazz is to America what Classical music is to Europe. As

an American, and at least nominally some kind of musician, you ought to educate yourself a little in your culture.

Larry, I'm gonna try to be there October 13th. I live walking distance from the Black Cat Theater.

Hmmm... Are you sure what he really didnt like was the fact that you couldnt play jazz? There is a hell of a lot of

musical knowledge to be learned from a jazz music discipline. Jazz is to America what Classical music is to Europe. As

an American, and at least nominally some kind of musician, you ought to educate yourself a little in your culture.

Larry, I'm gonna try to be there October 13th. I live walking distance from the Black Cat Theater.

Oh I definitely learned something from that class. After three years in the jazz band, I learned all the fundamentals and basics of jazz. I just didn't care for it as a musical style. I have nothing against jazz. It was something great to learn and know how to play, but it's just not my style. I'm primarily a Rock N' Roll guitarist with blues as a close second.

Oh I definitely learned something from that class. After three years in the jazz band, I learned all the fundamentals and basics of jazz. I just didn't care for it as a musical style. I have nothing against jazz. It was something great to learn and know how to play, but it's just not my style. I'm primarily a Rock N' Roll guitarist with blues as a close second.

Well thats cool, but you only know how to do something if you (more or less) go to bed with it every night. Its like learning a foreign language and then not really using it. Eventually you'll forget how to speak it.

If its not for you its not for you, though. So what jazz basics do you think you'll use to play rock and blues?

Well thats cool, but you only know how to do something if you (more or less) go to bed with it every night. Its like learning a foreign language and then not really using it. Eventually you'll forget how to speak it.

If its not for you its not for you, though. So what jazz basics do you think you'll use to play rock and blues?

None. I found them boring and useless to me. dry.gif

Then why would you go to this? [blink]

Like I tell my sons', "Never pass up a chance to see live music. You never know what you'll learn". We (my sons' and I) are primarily Classic rock, but we go to blues festivals, county music shows in Branson, even have seen some jazz. If it's live, I love watching, almost as much as I love playing.

With that said, sorry Larry, can't make it either, got some legal things going on to settle my late Dad's estate this week (Life Insurance etc...)

If any more of you guys want to be on the direct mail list for the big band, or my blues band, PM me your e-mail addresses.

Larry put me on your list. admin@chambered-reissue.org

I hope to be there Sunday but can not say for sure right now.

Maybe I can catch another show and with enough advance notice, get a bunch of forum guys there.

I have a very special chambered Les Paul for you to play sometime.

Our first house was in Maplewood and I used to work at Mississippi Valley Structural Steel, which is where Sunnen Business Park is now.

Hope to see you Sunday,

Dan

Shameless bump.

Heading off to "real-time" rehearsal (thespians would call it "dress rehearsal"). It's going to be a great show.

I know there are more St. Louisians lurking out there, come on by Wednesday or Sunday.

Shameless bump.

Heading off to "real-time" rehearsal (thespians would call it "dress rehearsal"). It's going to be a great show.

I know there are more St. Louisians lurking out there, come on by Wednesday or Sunday.

L5larry- I tried a PM.. Your message queue is full.

L5larry- I tried a PM.. Your message queue is full.

Sorry, I just emptied the mailbox so it should be open for business. Thanks for letting me know.

On a musical note (pun intended), rehearsal went so well last night we were clapping for ourselves. =D> No one else was there, somebody had to do it.

This is our opening concert of the "season" and I'm stoked.

Last Call.

Sunday, October 17, 3:00 p.m.

Meramec College Campus Theater (Humanities West Bldg)

Big Bend and Geyer Rd, in Kirkwood, MO 63122

Tickets - FREE, FREE, FREE, FREE

The concert starts at 3:00 p.m.with warm-up acts (orchestra, symphony, chorus), they're telling us we'll go on about 4:30.

Archived