Gibson Brands Forums

Another Tonerite thread

Gilliangirl

Suburude loaned me his Tonerite to try on my guitars (thank you Subu). I've had it on Magic for a few days now and I swear it has 'filled out' the sound. It even seems a bit louder, but more of a controlled, sweet, and collected volume, rather than just loud all over the place, if that makes sense. I'm impressed! Gonna try it on the J-185 next.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, no.

I am thinking if someone wants to express there oppinion on a device they are useing to improve the sound of there guitar 'Again'

They should be free to do so. If you do not want to participate in the thread that is your choice . But it is an open forum at least I hope it still is.

I am thinking if someone wants to express there oppinion on a device they are useing to improve the sound of there guitar 'Again'

They should be free to do so. If you do not want to participate in the thread that is your choice . But it is an open forum at least I hope it still is.

I fail to see how my two words suppress any sort of free expression, or "oppinion" here.

This subject has been discussed to death, and it's never resolved. It's just a mess every time it comes up. I don't give a whit if y'all talk about it, but when someone says "hey, here's another thread about Tonerite," my first thought is, "Oh Lord, here we go again."

I'm not sure why any of you would want to suppress MY "oppinion." You said yourself it's an "open forum," which means I am free to express my "oppinion." Right? Or is this place only open to congratulatory back-slapping?

And my "oppinion" happens to be this subject is beat to death. And my "oppinion" is just as valid as anyones'.

Gillian Girl (Karen),

Reading your opinion of the ToneRite was very interesting to me. I have a friend who owns a guitar store in a college town in Iowa. He is a dealer for Martin, Taylor, Guild, Fender, and several other smaller builders. He's also a totally "bottom-line" guy. If something works, he's for it... if not, it's gone. He started out as a total ToneRite skeptic. Several members of his staff were believers and they prevailed on him to test the ToneRite's results on a guitar that he knew well, so he borrowed a staff member's ToneRite and tried it on a 40 year-old Brazilian D-28 Martin that's been his personal guitar since High School. The results convinced him so much that his store bought ToneRites to use on their acoustic guitar inventory, both new and used. He's been in the guitar retailing business for 35 years and he now believes that the ToneRite is a very useful tool for getting guitars to sound their best so that they sell faster.

I was surprised to see bkharmony's comment that he was a satisfied ToneRite user, but if that's true, and he has no axe to grind against the device, why would he even care what topics are of interest to other forum members?

You made it very clear up front what the topic of this thread was, and as you rightly say, he and other members who are really not interested don't even need to concern themselves with the thread, let alone add negative comments indicating that they'd prefer the topic not be discussed by other members who may be genuinely interested.

I hope that you are not intimidated by such remarks and that you will always bring up any topics that you find to be of interest to you.

The issue here seems to have become, not whether the ToneRite is effective, but rather, whether Forum members are free to discuss any topics they may choose. In that argument, I totally agree with your point of view.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Gillian Girl (Karen),

Reading your opinion of the ToneRite was very interesting to me. I have a friend who owns a guitar store in a college town in Iowa. He is a dealer for Martin, Taylor, Guild, Fender, and several other smaller builders. He's also a totally "bottom-line" guy. If something works, he's for it... if not, it's gone. He started out as a total ToneRite skeptic. Several members of his staff were believers and they prevailed on him to test the ToneRite's results on a guitar that he knew well, so he borrowed a staff member's ToneRite and tried it on a 40 year-old Brazilian D-28 Martin that's been his personal guitar since High School. The results convinced him so much that his store bought ToneRites to use on their acoustic guitar inventory, both new and used. He's been in the guitar retailing business for 35 years and he now believes that the ToneRite is a very useful tool for getting guitars to sound their best so that they sell faster.

I was surprised to see bkharmony's comment that he was a satisfied ToneRite user, but if that's true, and he has no axe to grind against the device, why would he even care what topics are of interest to other forum members?

You made it very clear up front what the topic of this thread was, and as you rightly say, he and other members who are really not interested don't even need to concern themselves with the thread, let alone add negative comments indicating that they'd prefer the topic not be discussed by other members who may be genuinely interested.

I hope that you are not intimidated by such remarks and that you will always bring up any topics that you find to be of interest to you.

The issue here seems to have become, not whether the ToneRite is effective, but rather, whether Forum members are free to discuss any topics they may choose. In that argument, I totally agree with your point of view.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Jack, you're clearly new. This ToneRite thing has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over again. That's my point.

You say the issue has become whether we're free to speak out minds, yet for some reason you think it's not OK that I have a differing opinion. Why is that?

Jack, you're clearly new. This ToneRite thing has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over again. That's my point.

You say the issue has become whether we're free to speak out minds, yet for some reason you think it's not OK that I have a differing opinion. Why is that?

BK, (and Em7) if you can't tolerate repetition here, then perhaps an online forum is not the place for you? Strings, bone saddles vs Tusq saddles and a whole host of other guitar-related topics get discussed over and over again, and that's just the way it is. If you feel the need for more refreshing faire, then just ignore those topics that *bore* you. Make sense? This forum is for everyone, including those folks who post topics that *bore* you.

Good grief! Who would have thought a thread about one person's experience with a Tonerite would cause such a stir. An unnecessary stir, I might add.

Wow, WTH got into your Wheaties this morning? Jack has a smaller post count than you therefore he is not entitled to comment on a topic?????? If we're playing the 'seniority' card here, take a glance over at my post count vs yours. Enough said. Ridiculous. The nature of a forum is that there are always new people coming on board, which is a wonderful thing.

And lastly, just to clarify, you're not stating an opinion on the Tonerite, you're stating your opinion on whether this topic should be discussed or not. And this topic can be discussed any old time, so just don't read it the next time it comes up.

Gillian Girl (Karen),

Thanks,

Jack6849

Thanks Jack! [smile]

Yes, I'm definitely a convert myself!

Don't see the reason you should address me, I'm absolutely positive about your 'rite', and try to encourage you with my little 'GO'. The Tonerite is a relatively new phenomenon to me and I'd really like to hear different opinions. Been checking some serious tests on the Tube, but the more the better.

This misunderstanding should now be cleared – (and how about dropping the strezzed thread-vibrations).

It is after all good vibes this topic is about. Keep the word freeeee -

Don't see the reason you should address me, I'm absolutely positive about your 'rite', and try to encourage you with my little 'GO'. The Tonerite is a relatively new phenomenon to me and I'd really like to hear different opinions. Been checking some serious tests on the Tube, but the more the better.

This misunderstanding should now be cleared – (and how about dropping the strezzed thread-vibrations).

It is after all good vibes this topic is about. Keep the word freeeee -

My apology Em7. I thought you meant 'go', as in leave the forum for bringing up the topic

The nature of a forum is that there are always new people coming on board, which is a wonderful thing.

And on that note...I'd never heard of ToneRite until I started reading this thread. It's an intriguing idea and, were I to consider buying such a device, I'd look to this forum for information (as I would, say, for info about the O-Port thingy) and read as many threads as I could find.

I would love to try it sometime on my 46-year old LG-1, which I haven't been playing very much lately. It's been my experience over the years that the less I play it, the stiffer it sounds. I know that's not merely a matter of my ear readjusting or anything like that--the guitar really does close up and seems somehow to be at odds with itself.

Reading about the inherent tension in an instrument was interesting, and regardless of whether that's a strictly scientifc phenomenon, it certainly describes what I my experience with this guitar has already taught me.

So in that respect, the concept behind the ToneRite makes sense and, based on some observations posted here, it sounds like it could be especially useful where a person has more guitars than he or she can regularly play.

For now though, I'm gonna have to do things the old-fashioned way and just play him back into game shape. :P

To E-minor7: Like Karen, I misinterpreted your use of the "Go" word. Although I didn't make a comment to you, I did think you were trying to discourage Gillian Girl from bringing up the ToneRite topic on the Forum. Now I get what you were saying, and it was positive. Sorry I also read you wrong, and thanks for the clarification.

To bkharmony: I have no problem with your right to express your differing opinions on the Forum, just like anyone else. Perhaps I misinterpreted what you were saying, too. If your point was that you think the ToneRite topic has been beaten to death, that's fine.

If, as I read your comment, your point was more designed to make Gillian Girl (Karen) feel badly about her choice of topics, or worse, to discourage her from fully participating in the Forum.... well, like you, she has the right to say what she wants.

Members who have been on this Forum for a long time, as you say, may have seen certain topics discussed "ad infinitum", but many newer participants (and as you point out, I am one) weren't around when those "over and over and over ....." threads were current topics.

I really don't know (or care) which topics have been previously discussed on this Forum. I wasn't here for those.

Opinions and topics that may occur to newer members, or in Karen's case, to more experienced Forum participants who are, in fact, aware of previous threads, but still have something they'd like to discuss (or add) on a subject, seem to me to be very appropriate.

You are certainly entitled to any opinion that you hold, bkharmony.

My point was that your comment seemed to be directed at trying to discourage Gillian Girl, by belittling HER choice of topics. For some Forum members, (especially newer ones), I think that kind of negative tactic could produce a chilling effect on future open participation.

Thanks,

Jack6849

Subu,

Do you think Woody used one? [biggrin]

Wow, WTH got into your Wheaties this morning? Jack has a smaller post count than you therefore he is not entitled to comment on a topic??????

That's not what I said at all, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said he was new, which he is, so he probably hasn't seen the numerous threads about this subject that always end poorly.

I never said someone here doesn't have the right to post about what they want. What I said was it may not be a good idea. And I stand by that. This topic is beaten to death.

Please, no.

C'mon - I took this as a joke. Ya'll gotta admit these contraptions have been debated ad naseum with no consensus one way or the other.

I know three folks who have tried the Tone Rite - actually the same one passed around. Two gig pretty regularly and said they found no difference in the sound of their instruments before and after the Tone Rite. The last guys is more of an at home player and he did state he heard a distinct improvement in the sound of his guitar.

So what we kinda figured is those guitars which get a pretty heavy workout week after week do not seem to benefit from the device but it certainly might improve the sound of a guitar not subjected to thashing the living daylights out of a crowd regularly. Not a fact though - just an opinion.

Listen BK it seems to me Karen was just "Informing" us of her experience with the ToneRite . She was not debating the issue of whether it works or not. She seemed to be giving her experience of it working on her guitar. Not wanting to debate the issue.

As she said you did not have to comment if it was so monotonous to see another Tonerite thread. But you did in a somewhat negative way. Which has brought us to this post. If I misread your initial post. Sorry! But I think not.You seemed disgusted with yet another Tonerite comment. If you dont like a thread fine . No need for judging it.

Archived