Gibson Brands Forums

Another Tonerite thread

Gilliangirl

I don't know what the scientific explanation is! I do however notice changes in my acoustic guitars around this time of year. The weather is getting colder, I haven't measured the humidity recently. Some days I just find that my acoustics are lacking a bit of life and sound dull. They usually improve with a bit of playing. Maybe someone can help to explain this to us!!

I do believe it's humidity.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick question which has puzzled me throughout the Tonerite discussions.

Many people have said that they needed to replace their strings following a treatment. So does that mean that vibration causes strings to dull? I always thought it was the build up of sweat and crud and general tarnishing which caused this.

Yes it seems that the constant vibration does dull the strings, so there is more to string life that just a build up of crud etc. I'm always amazed at how infrequently some people change their strings! Sometimes you don't want brand new spangly brightness, but I put new strings on my guitars (electric as well as acoustic) before every gig or studio session with the occasional exception. So that can mean changing a lot of strings every day sometimes. I do not tend to change the strings on my electric 12 strings as often as I don't play them on many songs. Also I really hate changing the strings on my Rickenbacker 12 because it is a really laborious task, so I tend to leave them as long as possible on that one!

Bass guitars are different again and the strings last a very long time. I don't think most bass players want the brightness associated with brand new strings.

I left mine on the floor in its case, but I wedged a thick soft cover book in between the case and the case lid (between the hinges at the waist of the case)so as to prevent the lid from closing. Then I put the TR on. Worked like a darn. I left it in the computer room and shut the door so that Benny wouldn't attempt to sleep on it.

How is your cat?

In the instructions for the TR they advise against leaving it in the case because the lid might fall and cause damage to the guitar top because of the tonerite unit being in place. However it sounds like you took careful measures to prevent any case lid calamity!

PM will be sent a little later to tell you about my cat. Thank you for asking.

Gilliangirl and Suburude:

I have been presented with a Tonerite this afternoon, by a friend, to try. She swears by it. My mind is open and my heart is hoping. I have so many acoustics; half of them live in their cases now days. I have an H. Bird Custom I never really broke in properly and is still like new. The Tone rite is in place as I post. My fingers are crossed for good results on such a fine guitar. I'll go to the site and follow directions. If you guys have suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks. [cool]

Steve

I have been presented with a Tonerite this afternoon, by a friend, to try. She swears by it. My mind is open and my heart is hoping. I have so many acoustics; half of them live in their cases now days. I have an H. Bird Custom I never really broke in properly and is still like new. The Tone rite is in place as I post. My fingers are crossed for good results on such a fine guitar. I'll go to the site and follow directions. If you guys have suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks. [cool]

Steve

The longer the better ! People have told me as long as a week if you can. I did 72 hours for starters . With good results. [thumbup]

Steve

Steve, can you do a sound clip for yourself before and after the TR?

I've did so, Karen. Thanks...

Steve

Good thinking, Steve!

Now, to help us make a "blind" decision, if you can post your before & after, don't tell us which is which for,

say, a day or so, that would be great. Thx.

What do we have, a 50-50 chance of guessing it? 'Better put up two of the pre Tone Rite, and one after, or something sneaky like that!

Good thinking, Steve!

Now, to help us make a "blind" decision, if you can post your before & after, don't tell us which is which for,

say, a day or so, that would be great. Thx.

What do we have, a 50-50 chance of guessing it? 'Better put up two of the pre Tone Rite, and one after, or something sneaky like that!

Excellent !

Excellent !

Yea, wouldn't it be excellent. I can't even upload my original avatar. So forget that. I am about to post a 72 hour verdict using a house avatar. Plain pissed at this forum setup. [cursing]

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Archived