Gibson Brands Forums

Another Tonerite thread

Gilliangirl

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon - I took this as a joke.

Thank you. That's how I meant it. I guess I shoulda used an emoticon to be clear.

I genuinely like this place and the folks here. I'm actually surprised and saddened at the reaction to my comments. I didn't mean to be a jerk - it was supposed to be a joke. If I've ever done anything here to have my intentions questioned, I'm unaware of it.

Thank you. That's how I meant it. I guess I shoulda used an emoticon to be clear.

I genuinely like this place and the folks here. I'm actually surprised and saddened at the reaction to my comments. I didn't mean to be a jerk - it was supposed to be a joke. If I've ever done anything here to have my intentions questioned, I'm unaware of it.

I missed the joke ! Sorry !

Well Karen I'm sure you weren't expecting this thread to go this way! Anyway I was interested to hear your report. Off the back of all the controversy I decided to buy one a while ago and I tried it on a few guitars. I can honestly say I have not noticed any change in those guitars. I left it on my 1966 J-45 for three days. That J-45 has a nice tone, not as much bass as a lot of J-45's from the same era, but a nice midrange. I can't tell any difference at all. I also put it on my Collings C-10 which I've had for about 5 years. That Collings is a beautiful guitar but has always sounded a bit clinical to me. I keep hoping it will develop a bit more warmth with playing and it probably doesn't get as much attention as it needs. Again I'm afraid I did not notice any change in the sound of the guitar. So it is interesting to hear that you have become a convert.

I think I will probably sell my tonerite now as for me it hasn't done much, but there are lots of positive reports about it too, and unless people like you keep us informed we will never get a true picture of the results (or lack of them)of using this device.

Hey Karen. I was pleased and interested to hear of your experiences with the "unmentionable".

I've not tried it and would maybe like to give it a go one day. Not sure I'd want to go to the cost of importing one but I'm genuinely interested.

Whilst this topic continues to create strong opinions, I reckon that most people here are undecided.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Tonerite is a GREAT thing!

I have it, I use it and I am sure it WORKS a lot because I hear the difference.

I suggest to everyone of you to use this thing!

It works.

I don't have the ennergy to explain how...

It is just working!

It gets the best sound out of your guitar and gives it to you.

Further - you got to have hands and soul to produce this sound.

That's it.

I've not tried it and would maybe like to give it a go one day. Not sure I'd want to go to the cost of importing one but I'm genuinely interested.

Yes it was expensive. Mine was $201.25 including shipping and power adaptor (which I did not need) plus import duty which added about another 25%

Well Karen I'm sure you weren't expecting this thread to go this way! Anyway I was interested to hear your report. Off the back of all the controversy I decided to buy one a while ago and I tried it on a few guitars. I can honestly say I have not noticed any change in those guitars. I left it on my 1966 J-45 for three days. That J-45 has a nice tone, not as much bass as a lot of J-45's from the same era, but a nice midrange. I can't tell any difference at all. I also put it on my Collings C-10 which I've had for about 5 years. That Collings is a beautiful guitar but has always sounded a bit clinical to me. I keep hoping it will develop a bit more warmth with playing and it probably doesn't get as much attention as it needs. Again I'm afraid I did not notice any change in the sound of the guitar. So it is interesting to hear that you have become a convert.

I think I will probably sell my tonerite now as for me it hasn't done much, but there are lots of positive reports about it too, and unless people like you keep us informed we will never get a true picture of the results (or lack of them)of using this device.

KL I am curious to how long you had the TR on the Collings . Days? I would not ever expect a whole lot of change on a vintage J 45. It would seem to me thats its already opened up quite a bit allready.

But the collings Id expect some change ? Thats why I asked how long. Also what kind of saddle is in your collings? Bone , Fossilised Ivory ? I had a D1A I switched out the saddle to make it a little warmer . It worked.

KL I am curious to how long you had the TR on the Collings . Days? I would not ever expect a whole lot of change on a vintage J 45. It would seem to me thats its already opened up quite a bit allready.

But the collings Id expect some change ? Thats why I asked how long. Also what kind of saddle is in your collings? Bone , Fossilised Ivory ? I had a D1A I switched out the saddle to make it a little warmer . It worked.

I believe the Collings has a bone saddle. It's all stock. Don't get me wrong it's a very fine sounding guitar, it just sounds a little clinical. I gave it 3 days of TR. Can't say I noticed any change. I had the opportunity to play a whole lot of Santa Cruz guitars recently and I have to say I was VERY impressed with them. If I was to get another acoustic that would be what I would be buying. They are not cheap, but they are incredible guitars and extremely consistent.

This isn't worth arguing over. Yes, it's been discussed/debated here and on other forums many, many times. Nor do I think it's out-of-line that someone said all of that. That said, I do appreciate Gilligan Girl's view on this product. Never met her, but I've been on this forum for a long time (had to re-register because the old forum wouldn't recognize my ID anymore or let me sign-up again for over a year) and read many of her posts. I have no doubt that she's a Gibby lover and a straight-shooter, so, her comments have my interest and I just might take a serious look at Tonerite. ........My only potential problem at this point is my J150. If it gets any louder, I might be in violation of the "Noise Ordinance" here in Independence, Mo. I'll have to play plugged-in all the time just so I can control the volumn.[thumbup]

Missouri, my guitar did get louder it seems but it isn't an overwhelming increase in volume, more of a rounder sound, kind of filled out. It's hard to describe. The Tonerite manual suggests to leave the TR on high if you want an increase in volume, and low if you want an increase in harmonies. I had mine set on low because I can't sing over Magic now so sure don't want any more volume. It just seems to have a richer sound?

KL, maybe your guitars get enough playing out and so have already reached their potential? I know you're busy with gigs so maybe they have already expanded their sound to the fullest? Or, maybe I'm just crazy! [biggrin]

I also wondered if this device would be good for 'warming the guitar up' before playing.

KL, maybe your guitars get enough playing out and so have already reached their potential? I know you're busy with gigs so maybe they have already expanded their sound to the fullest? Or, maybe I'm just crazy! [biggrin]

Maybe that's the reason . . . I do play my guitars quite a lot, although it is hard to play all of them and sometimes some get a fairly lengthy rest. At this time of year I notice quite a lot of fluctuation in the tone of my acoustics. Somedays they sound a bit dull, and others they sound normal. It's the changing weather.

Perhaps I'll give it a go on another guitar. I have a HD-28 that I might try it on. It's a nice sounding guitar, but not as loud as my D-28. I will report back if I do it.

Where did you leave your guitar when you were treating it? I didn't like the idea of leaving it on the stand in case the thing came loose and fell off or something while I was out, so I laid the guitar on a bed and made sure that the wire from the TR unit was fixed around a bed post with an elastic band so that the wire could not vibrate against the top and damage the finish.

I think you need to put new strings on after a treatment as the TR dulls the strings, so I will wait until the strings are a bit older on the HD-28 as it's just had a new set.

At this time of year I notice quite a lot of fluctuation in the tone of my acoustics. Somedays they sound a bit dull, and others they sound normal. It's the changing weather.

Hello - Just wondered if you could explain this a little further. Is there a logic or is it something more abstract. Fall is closing in here, and it could be nice to follow things with increased knowledge. Thanks -

Maybe that's the reason . . . I do play my guitars quite a lot, although it is hard to play all of them and sometimes some get a fairly lengthy rest. At this time of year I notice quite a lot of fluctuation in the tone of my acoustics. Somedays they sound a bit dull, and others they sound normal. It's the changing weather.

Perhaps I'll give it a go on another guitar. I have a HD-28 that I might try it on. It's a nice sounding guitar, but not as loud as my D-28. I will report back if I do it.

Where did you leave your guitar when you were treating it? I didn't like the idea of leaving it on the stand in case the thing came loose and fell off or something while I was out, so I laid the guitar on a bed and made sure that the wire from the TR unit was fixed around a bed post with an elastic band so that the wire could not vibrate against the top and damage the finish.

I think you need to put new strings on after a treatment as the TR dulls the strings, so I will wait until the strings are a bit older on the HD-28 as it's just had a new set.

I left mine on the floor in its case, but I wedged a thick soft cover book in between the case and the case lid (between the hinges at the waist of the case)so as to prevent the lid from closing. Then I put the TR on. Worked like a darn. I left it in the computer room and shut the door so that Benny wouldn't attempt to sleep on it.

How is your cat?

Hello - Just wondered if you could explain this a little further. Is there a logic or is it something more abstract. Fall is closing in here, and it could be nice to follow things with increased knowledge. Thanks -

Em7, my guitars change with the weather too. When it's humid the action changes and so does the tone, usually for the worse.

How come - is it the woods gettin' heavier/less vibrant with moisture in it ?

Yes, wood swells when it's humid. I always think about my back fence gate. Whenever it rains a lot, the darn thing sticks. All the wood doors inside the house stick. And the guitar sounds dull. I've even had to tweak the truss rod a bit because the humidity has affected the neck.

Just a quick question which has puzzled me throughout the Tonerite discussions.

Many people have said that they needed to replace their strings following a treatment. So does that mean that vibration causes strings to dull? I always thought it was the build up of sweat and crud and general tarnishing which caused this.

Hey Karen! Glad that gadget works for you. I would love to try it on my guitars, just to see what happens. If somebody would loan me one! I just can't make myself drop the cash! And your opinions on this Forum are always welcome!

If somebody would loan me one! I just can't make myself drop the cash! And your opinions on this Forum are always welcome!

That was the same for me, I didn't want to drop that much cash on the thing. It undoubtedly worked though for me. I rented mine from a player in early summer, for $15.

I kept it on my J45 for 7 days straight. He was charging 15 bucks for a week or 20 for ten days. If you PM me I can give you his email. Not sure if he is still renting it out or if his Tonerite is still on tour of the US.

Lots of threads on the Tonerite treatment, glad it worked for you too Karen.

I don't know what the scientific explanation is! I do however notice changes in my acoustic guitars around this time of year. The weather is getting colder, I haven't measured the humidity recently. Some days I just find that my acoustics are lacking a bit of life and sound dull. They usually improve with a bit of playing. Maybe someone can help to explain this to us!!

Archived