Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Epiphone Sheraton - UnSung Korea

MediaMan

It's because they're still using Epiphone's stock description. Which wasn't even accurate to begin with!!! The fact that you can get a Sheraton with a 5 piece neck or one with a one piece neck with a scarf joint and both are called a 3 piece neck should tell you something.

Bottom line, if I ordered a guitar that advertised a 3 piece neck and got a one piece neck with a scarf joint I'd send it back. And a Sheraton should be a Sheraton, they shouldn't have different specs because they were made in different factories.

Jerrymac, thank you for clarifying. Caveat Emptor

Jerrymac, thank you for clarifying. Caveat Emptor

You've got to be careful of the descriptions on online sites; they are rarely updated, even when the manufacturers change specs (and who knows if they tell anybody!). I often see the Dot described on sites as having a maple neck, when clearly the ones you can see through the finish, at least, are mahogany of some sort.

Another unfortunate practice is when the manufacturer itself uses terms that are correct in a carefully described context (thier lengthy press release or sample site description), but they know will beccome misleading in another (when the site edits or rewords the desciption the manufacturer sends). For instance, Epiphone is usually pretty clear that Classic '57s are Epiphone pick ups, but you'll often see these described on a site as '57 Classics, making you think they are the Gibson pick up.

I often wonder if Epiphone has anyone troll through the online sites to look for such mistakes, so they can notify the site of an error that may misinform--or worse, disappoint a customer--so the site can be notified. In some cases, I'm sure the site has mix of old and new inventory, so changing a description to reflect a new spec may not accurately describe what the customer will get! Still, there's a lot of descriptions in cyber space that are clearly wrong, and have been for some time, like the 3-piece Sheraton neck.

Red 333

Well, I brought my Sherry home last night - all smiles - really outstanding workmanship and finish. Pictures dont quite do it justice (blackberry!). Colour on this sunbusrt seems different than others I've seen to date - more bold and alive. I assume this is the 5-piece neck (??!!). No rush on the changing the pickups - first impressions are really good.

IMG00192-20101021-2213.jpgIMG00185-20101021-2209.jpg

IMG00182-20101021-2207.jpg

IMG00190-20101021-2211.jpg

IMG00174-20101021-2204.jpg

IMG00175-20101021-2205.jpg

IMG00198-20101021-2218.jpg

IMG00199-20101021-2220.jpg

wall-7.jpg

Archived