Gibson Brands Forums

Is a Les paul supreme worth it?

Naradien

• 5 weeks later...

After doing my research and playing several, I just acquired this 2003 LP Supreme. I describe the sound as "delicious" - I didn't get it just to look at it. I'll post more pics next week. If the Supreme is gay, then I just came out of the closet. :o

LPSupreme-1.jpg

I'm not a supreme fan...but it's not about what I like, it's about what you like.

nsureit, that's one sweet looking top you got there.

Actually, the back is even nicer looking!

I'd be afraid of playing that thing because of the back.

-No control acces. That really scares me!

No kidding! Replacing anything on the inside must be a real pain.

After doing my research and playing several' date=' I just acquired this 2003 LP Supreme. I describe the sound as "delicious" - I didn't get it just to look at it. I'll post more pics next week. If the Supreme is gay, then I just came out of the closet. :-&

[/quote']

Gorgeous guitar and yes it sounds delicious. Looking forward to more pics.

After doing my research and playing several' date=' I just acquired this 2003 LP Supreme. I describe the sound as "delicious" - I didn't get it just to look at it. I'll post more pics next week. If the Supreme is gay, then I just came out of the closet. :-k

[img']http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/nsureit/LPSupreme-1.jpg[/img]

So how do you access the control cavity if there's a problem? Just curious really, as I've never seen one in person. Is there an access panel on the side we can't see? Do you have literally separate the top off of it ?? :-k

How in the world would you be able to do anything with either the volume or tune pots should they go bad?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think that there's a cavity (more than the normal 1/4" hole for the wiring) between the pots and the pups, so take out the pickups, do a bit of reaching, and you can tweak the pots. I looked into buying a Supreme about 6 months ago and did my research. email Gibson to find out for sure though, this might just be a rumour...

So how do you access the control cavity if there's a problem? Just curious really' date=' as I've never seen one in person. Is there an access panel on the side we can't see? Do you have literally separate the top off of it ?? =D> [/quote']

Here's a good article that explains how these were built: click on this LINKY

As far as electronics access, yeah, not as simple as a back-plate cover but neither is

a 335. I'd say most people aren't too scared of those. I prefer a Historic myself but I also think

they are by far the best high-end USA LPs out there. In-fact the Supreme seems like more

of a C.S. guitar than the Custom. Maybe too bling for some, fine, but that's why they make different

models. They do sound and play great. Same pickups as the Studio and the Custom

w/ a sound all their own. Nice.

If only they had fatter necks....

The Supreme is aimed squarely at collectors - tons of eye candy' date=' very little aimed at a "player" to justify the price.

Great guitar - in a nitogen inerted glass case hanging on some rich man's wall.[/quote']

I must be collector, I have one Gibson which I play all the time, Les Paul Supreme.

I must be collector' date=' I have one Gibson which I play all the time, Les Paul Supreme.[/quote']

+100! I just got my 2003 LP Supreme two days ago. I've only put it down to sleep. It rocks through my Marshall TSL-122. I will definitely gig with the Supreme because it's that good. Plus, the chics dig 'em.

Here's more pics...

Sup1.jpg

Sup2.jpg

Sup3.jpg

Sup4.jpg

Sup5.jpg

+100! I just got my 2003 LP Supreme two days ago. I've only put it down to sleep. It rocks through my Marshall TSL-122. I will definitely gig with the Supreme because it's that good. Plus' date=' the chics dig 'em.

[/quote']

Gorgeous guitar. Well done for exposing this gorgeous axe. The 50's neck is superb, ebony fretboard pure luxury and the pickups in the chambered largely maple body are amazing. This is definitely a Custom on steroids!

Archived